Mobile WiFi Recommendations

Mojo

Photographer
T6 Guru
Just wondering if the more technically minded of you might know if there is an advantage to using something like the VW car stick as opposed to the usual gadget that just plugs into your 12v power as supplied by all the big service providers (based on HUAWEI Balong B720).
As the car stick plugs into the usb I thought it might be using the vans aerial thus better reception? Cheers.

I think the car stick benefits from the aerial as you suggest.

The car stick also switches on when the car does; the problem I found with the EE in-car solutions is they need to be explicitly switched on after the engine is started :-/

My understanding is that the GSM aerial is only fitted as a cost option and is only available with the comfort dash, this option has an aerial induction loop around the storage tray at the top of the centre console (next to gear stick on posh dash) and when the phone is placed inside this cubby hole it picks up the induction loop and uses/benefits from the external GSM aerial in the wing mirror. If this is correct then i dont see it will benefit the car stick but i do not know this as fact but is how i thought it worked.
The other benefit of the car stick over 3rd party is the integration with the infotainment system/carnet etc, i have found if using an external device to provide signal (in my case hotspot on an iphone) the vehicle refuses to connect to it automatically and i have to manually connect it everytime i start the engine and want to connect the van which is massively annoying as you have to go through the menu to pair it but dont know if this is the same with other devices that are engineered more towards this function as i havent tried anything.

Not being much of a techy, how will the wifi work on my van when it arrives? According to my spec it will have wifi but I'm unaware how on earth this will work!

You can purchase a vw carstick ( in the forum shop ;)) and put a SIM card in it to have a Wi-Fi hotspot in your van + some added benefits to you discovery media head unit if you have that. That's what I have do anyway :)

We use the VW Car Stick with a data only Sim card from Amazon, we have used it for a year now, and it works very well. Usage is very reasonable as well.

Last edited:
I have a VW carstick for sale with an EE 6GB sim, though any sim works. £60.

Bought it from this very forum shop without realising it is only compatible with the discover media unit .

Just bought mine from the Forum shop, set it up and my lad is now as happy as a pig in muck! So far I'm getting a good signal all of the time!!!

Anyone know if a dongle would use more or less data than a mobile phone on hotspot?

Anyone know if a dongle would use more or less data than a mobile phone on hotspot?
I would guess exactly the same.
The dongles seem to pick up a signal better, and also the data only plans seem to be very competitive when purchased through amazon etc.

Only thing with the VW Car Stick is that I believe it is 3G , and not 4G at present

I wondered if a 4G third party dongle would work just as well as a VW car stick + sim?????

The dongles seem to pick up a signal better, and also the data only plans seem to be very competitive when purchased through amazon etc.

Only thing with the VW Car Stick is that I believe it is 3G , and not 4G at present

I wondered if a 4G third party dongle would work just as well as a VW car stick + sim?????

I've got a 10GB data plan on my phone and have always used that but just wanted to check I wasn't missing a trick.

Currently using a 'three' mifi on a rolling contract as moved house.and no internet. Works ok but the kids went through 19 gig in 4 days...... so have had to ban them..lol

Yes I only get 3g on mine with the 3sim

Huwei do an unlocked 4G that plugs into the cigarette lighter and can connect up to 10 devices....£67 and due to be delivered next week.

Back