Van WIFI & Mobile Data -- How I Done It --

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Van WIFI & Mobile Data -- How I Done It --

I keep on meaning to get this thread started . . . . Today is the Day.

this all started from having to share my data with the kids on long drives so they could you there Tablets whilst on the move, or remote from our Home WIFI.

We also used this setup when holidaying or camping - again to keep the kids amused with Pepper Pig videos on YouTube.

The Kids are now much old and have their own phones with data and are no so interested in Pepper Pig anymore, its more SnapChat and Insta . . . . apparently Facebook is for "old people" ie the mums & dads of the millennials !!

These days i use WFI in the van for a number of things:

The Media Nav unit can connects via WIFI for updates and MEDIA CONTROL.
we have a Google Home device in the Van, - which is cool.
The CAMVUE DashCam connects to the cloud via the wifi, for remote connection and cloud storage
We have RING cctv on the van that connects via wifi, - cloud recording
we use the vans wifi when at work mobile offering the guest wifi.
we use the wifi is the phones data signal is rubbish.
we use the wifi hotspot when camping for Tablets and other IOT devices that like internet.
etc etc etc . . . . .

Lets have a look at - How We Can Do It -

for WIFI in the van i use a USB 4G WIFI Dongle . . . like this one.

(i did have it in the glovebox, but have now installed in in roof lining by roof lights - works fine with reception etc)

1621077589051.png

i had it plugged into 12v USB charger .at first . . like this Anker one i had.

1621077615352.png

but now I've hard wired it with a 12v / USB power converter.

1621077639736.png

at first i had it running from the IGN only . . . . so it was only on when driving etc . . .

but now I've moved it over to a Leisure battery feed . . . so its on 24/7

i can now hook up the RING camera and BlackVudash cam to the cloud . . . as well as conect the Victron kit to the cloud.

You need to get a SIM card to put in the dongle. . . .

either a PAYG sim with DATA . . . . or just call your existing Mobile phone provider and ask for a second SIM to share the data from your existing account.

here is an example of a PAYG data SIM . .

EE - 90days/3mnths - 6GB 4G data for the wifi - £16.25

1621077668793.png

plug it in, set a wifi password etc , get online - job done.

Then just connect the Media Headunit to the vans wifi, then connect your phone/tablet to the wifi as well . . .

down load the VW Media APP on your phone/tablet - control the HU.

not too hard to setup. =]

fwiw I've got one of these too . . .

similar thing, but has a built in battery and will last most of the day.

so if in the van, connect it to a USB feed thats on the IGN ,. . . . then when engine is off this unit will keep the wifi going on its own battery power . . . (for 1-2day depending on use and signal strength)

when the van is restarted the internal battery recharges . . via USB

we have it on holiday etc so the kids can share the wifi and internet . . . i just drop it into my ruck sack . .

keeps the Yoofs happy =]

1621077702560.png

that was then . . .

we have not got a free SIM card as part of out Virgin Media TV package at home . . . . so what swapped out the PAYG Sim for that.

Last edited:
I’ve been mulling this over too. With the greedy b******d mobile phone companies re-introducing roaming charges, I was thinking along the lines of a mobile router with an EU SIM card. It isn’t a problem as yet, as Plusnet haven’t started charging for roaming, but as they are part of the EE/BT group (who have) it’s only a matter of time.
So the question is, can anyone recommend an easy to obtain/operate EU PAYG data SIM?

one of the main reasons for me is:

24/7 WIFI in the van.

now I've moved over to a Lithium Leisure battery i have more power to play with.

so my dash cam is now 24/7.

my RING CCTV cameras ( that are battery powered atm) all also in the van.

all these devices are now online 24/7 . . . . i can log-in to the van and see whats going on at any point.

++++

before this move and when it was all connected to the IGN feed.

one of the reasons was that it dint drain my phones battery. - it runs from the vans power.

also,

i didn't have to keep switching the "HOTSPOT" on and off every time - which started to do my head in.

on my phone, if you switched ON the HOSPOT, then it switch OFF the phones WIFI - so i was constantly switching things on and off etc. - this might be different on other phones.

I’ve been mulling this over too. With the greedy b******d mobile phone companies re-introducing roaming charges, I was thinking along the lines of a mobile router with an EU SIM card. It isn’t a problem as yet, as Plusnet haven’t started charging for roaming, but as they are part of the EE/BT group (who have) it’s only a matter of time.
So the question is, can anyone recommend an easy to obtain/operate EU PAYG data SIM?
Very easy to pick up when abroad - the easiest solution to avoid bill shock!

Very easy to pick up when abroad - the easiest solution to avoid bill shock!
I’m assuming you can pick one up in a supermarket as you can here in the UK. But how do you go about topping it up etc?

I’m assuming you can pick one up in a supermarket as you can here in the UK. But how do you go about topping it up etc?
I’m not sure that they have a supermarket reseller model as they do in the deregulated UK! I’m not suggesting that the are protectionist oiks or anything…!!! The bigger consideration is that you go with a provider who has best coverage where you intend to be most

It still possible to do what you did before the invention of mobile phones while on holiday.
Engage with the location.

Hey @Dellmassive

How did you hardware the TP link M3750 mobile hotspot device into your van? Did you use the 12V usb power converter you mention?

I already had Ignition USB.

And 24/7 USB.

So I just plugged into that.

And here.

Currently I have the Huawei plugged in above the centre top light unit on the headlining...

It's connected to the usb from the leisure battery.

So now 24/7.

Screenshot_20220506-085236_Chrome.jpgr

The TPlink unit I take with me mobile, when I'm away.

And just get a local data sim.....

Using it now as it goes.....

20220505_144333.jpg

@Dellmassive I am wondering it a dongle with external aerials will give a stronger signal, and not lose signal when the 4G signal is weak if it has external antennae like this:

@Skyliner33

yes . . . i run two units with external aerials.

defo works better in low 4G areas . . . . ie costal towns.

i normally use these on holiday with the family on some Haven caravan site somewhere

i stick the antenna high on a window for the 4G, then share the wifi locally.

++++++++++

1st unit: Huawei E5785lh-22c

++++++++++++++

1657141489251.png

+++++++++++++++++++++

1657140968891.png1657140997373.png1657140987348.png1657140978320.png

second unit: Huawei E5787ph-67a (grey import / colour screen)

1657141017954.png1657141031613.png1657141043792.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

then a TS9 patch antenna . . .

similar to this . .

1657141420879.png

+++++++++++

but the cheap antennas are not brilliant . . .

you should get better reception.

+++++++++

you can get better ones. . . ie

1657141761477.png

@Skyliner33

yes . . . i run two units with external aerials.

defo works better in low 4G areas . . . . ie costal towns.

i normally use these on holiday with the family on some Haven caravan site somewhere

i stick the antenna high on a window for the 4G, then share the wifi locally.

++++++++++

1st unit: Huawei E5785lh-22c

++++++++++++++

View attachment 163781

+++++++++++++++++++++

View attachment 163773View attachment 163776View attachment 163775View attachment 163774

second unit: Huawei E5787ph-67a (grey import / colour screen)

View attachment 163777View attachment 163778View attachment 163779

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

then a TS9 patch antenna . . .

similar to this . .

View attachment 163780

+++++++++++

but the cheap antennas are not brilliant . . .

you should get better reception.

+++++++++

you can get better ones. . . ie

View attachment 163782
Thanks, I might give that one in the eBay link I posted a punt then. £200 on those Huawei ones is a bit expensive when Im just seeing how they work and if I will use it much

Back