Media, Head Units, App Connect, Voice . . . . . Etc

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Media, Head units, App Connect, Voice . . . . . etc . . . . . . . work in progress.

The radios and navigation systems:

A new generation of radios and navigation systems is launching in the T6 2016 for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. They set new standards in terms of operation and connection possibilities for external devices. All devices can be combined with a provision for mobile telephone.

The following devices are available:

• Composition Audio radio

The Composition Audio radio The Composition Audio radio is the entry-level variant
of the radio systems for the Caddy 2016 and T6 2016. This radio is not part of the modular
infotainment system (MIB-PQ). In service, the designation is "Radio R". The Composition Audio is not a part of the component protection. As with the previous models, it is activated by entering a code.

500.jpg

Technical features
• TFT monochrome display
• Output power of 4 x 20 watt
• AM/FM single tuner
• MP3, WMA format support
• SD card reader
• AUX-IN
• USB
Optional
• Bluetooth interface for mobile phones
(HFP, PBAP, A2DP, AVRCP)

Composition Colour radio
This device has an integrated CD player. The CD slot is located above the colour display. The
SD card reader and AUX-IN connection are located underneath the colour display.

501.jpg

Technical features
• Resistive 5"-TFT colour display 400 x 240 pixels
• Output power of 4 x 20 watt
• FM phase diversity, AM
• CD-player
• MP3, WMA format support
• SD card reader
• AUX-IN
Optional
• Bluetooth (HFP, A2DP, PBAP, AVRCP)
• DAB+
• USB multimedia interface or USB with Apple
support external
• Reversing camera display

• Composition Media radio
As an expansion to the Composition Colour radio, this device includes proximity sensors, amongst other features. As a result of the proximity sensor, the SD card reader is located on the left next to the colour display. Optionally, this device can be equipped with electronic voice amplification.

502.png

Technical features
In addition to the features of the composition colour radio, this device configuration has the following features:
• Capacitive touchscreen 6.33-inch TFT colour
display WVGA, 800 x 480 pixels
• Proximity sensors*
• AAC, FLAC audio format support
• JPEG viewer
• Bluetooth (HFP, A2DP, PBAP, AVRCP, MAP,
2 mobile phones can be paired simultaneously via HFP)
• SD card reader
• AUX-IN**
• USB multimedia interface with external Apple support **
Optional
• DAB+
• Voice control
• Electronic voice amplification
• Car-Net App-Connect
* Proximity sensors: When a finger approaches the display, the virtual buttons are increased in size.
** External interfaces:
Fitting combinations of the external interfaces (AUX-IN, USB, USB with Apple support) may vary depending on equipment.

• Discover Media navigation system
The Discover Media radio navigation system is also marketed under the name Discover Media Plus in conjunction with certain equipment packages. One-shot destination entry The navigation system can be operated by voice input. The destination is entered in a coherent spoken phrase instead of sequential requests for the address components.

1618559741207.png

Technical features
In addition to the features of the Composition Media radio, this device configuration has the following characteristics:
• 2 SD card readers**
• Navigation function
- Personal points of interest (POI)
- Preset POIs
- 2D/3D map display
Optional
• WLAN (see page 17)
• Voice control with one-shot destination entry
• Car-Net Guide & Inform
• Media Control

Personal POIs (point of interest)*
A Personal POI database can be created on the Volkswagen portal and transferred to the Discover Media via SD card. The data is converted using the Nav Companion Internet application. Personal POIs can be displayed on the navigation map and used for POI searches.

* Personal POIs can also be imported via the Car-Net customer portal when Guide & Inform services are activated,
and transferred to the Discover Media via an Internet connection.

** One of the two SD card readers is permanently required for dynamically loading the map and navigation data

Voice control:
Telephones, navigation systems and radios can be operated via voice input. After activation, a red microphone indicates that the instruction is being accepted. The context-sensitive "Commands" are displayed on the screen. In addition, the title blocks of the topics that can be selected are highlighted in red. (This is a dealer PAID for option only) (Voice control is a main dealer unlock - you need to pay for it!)

The Car-Net:
For the first time, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is presenting mobile online services, also referred to as Car-Net. This involves using online data for certain applications, which are referred to as services. These can be provided for various application areas. The following services are currently available:
• Guide & Inform (improved navigation and infotainment)
• App Connect (smartphone connections and apps)
• Media Control (infotainment expansions via app)
This new technology enables customers to display and operate selected parts of their smartphone on the touchscreen of the infotainment system. App-Connect is available for the Composition Media radio and the Discover Media radio navigation system.

MirrorLink:
MirrorLink is a standard that is independent of the operating system. It enables smartphone content to be shown on the display of the infotainment system. MirrorLink was developed by the "Car Connectivity Consortium" (CCC). Several vehicle, smartphone and infotainment system manufacturers belong to this organisation. At the present time, MirrorLink is only supported by smartphones with Android operating systems. This standard makes it possible
to show apps on the display of the infotainment system even when driving. The precondition is for the app in question to be approved by the CCC. The smartphone is connected to the vehicle using a USB data cable. Only image and music data is transferred via the data cable. The smartphone must additionally be paired using Bluetooth in order to use the hands-free function in the vehicle. The smartphone must have an Internet connection so that MirrorLink can function correctly. Only then can the certificates of the apps be downloaded, enabling the system to display the apps even during driving.
Prerequisites
• MirrorLink-capable smartphone (currently only available for the Android operating system)
• Connection of the smartphone to the vehicle via USB data cable
• Approval of the app by the "Car Connectivity Consortium"
Apps
MirrorLink-compatible apps can be downloaded from the "Google Play Store". Apps are offered here directly from Volkswagen and by third parties. Currently, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles offers four MirrorLink apps for downloading:

Android Auto:
Android Auto is a standard developed and managed by Google. This standard makes it possible to connect a smartphone to the infotainment system. This means the smartphone can be controlled using the vehicle's touchscreen. Android Auto displays the interactive "Google Now" interface on the infotainment system. Various information items are displayed on the start screen depending on how the user has configured his/her smartphone, and what location requests he/she has made. The information displayed is:
• Weather
• Navigation
• Missed calls
• Text messages
• E-mails
• Current music playback
The first connection can only be carried out at a standstill, because some system messages have to be confirmed. In addition to the cable connection, a Bluetooth connection is established automatically for the hands-free function. Any existing Bluetooth connections between other devices and the vehicle are dropped.

Apple CarPlay:
Apple CarPlay is a standard defined by Apple making it possible to connect an iPhone to the infotainment system. If there is an existing connection, the iPhone can be operated using the touchscreen of the infotainment system, and also continue to be used normally. Apps that are started using the infotainment system are run on the smartphone and can be viewed. Displayed apps are:
• Telephone
• Music
• Maps
• News
• Current music playback (you are listening)
• Volkswagen
• Podcast
• Audio books
The connection is made using an iPhone-specific USB data and charging cable that is connected to the iPhone and the USB socket in the vehicle. Apple CarPlay is started automatically when the "Siri" voice assistant is activated in the iPhone settings. The entire data transfer and voice transfer for the hands-free function takes place via the data cable. All Bluetooth connections already existing to the vehicle are dropped.

radio block Brown: speaker terminals

TM8 pins
1- RR + (rt/gn)
2- FR + (rt/ws)
3- FL + (rt/bl)
4- RL + (rt/bl)
5- RR - (br/gn)
6- FR - (br/ws)
7- FL - (br/bl)
8- RL - (br/bl)

end.

503.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post, I've got the Composition Colour radio, could you advise me where to get the information on reversing camera installation please?

hiya

looking for a company to unlock and sort a media nav unit i can get off my pals van, have the info from his van so will help, hes gone halo.
i should have put the media nav unit in when i purchased the van but the my rcd330 would do the job...i dislike loss of functions so want to stay factory.

any help appreciated.

There’s no official route to do this, the unit will partially shutdown as soon as it hits your van unless it’s opened and modded beforehand

My advice would be to not mess with it or power it up outside of his van until someone who knows what they are doing sorts the mods for you or you will start eating into the timer or cause the component protection to kick in

@spacewalker ??

yes agreed, trying to find a reputable source to sort it though seems to be the difficulty.

just not keen on the halo, not keen on the kenwood...just wish i had put this on my options.

seen this also and they are local based....considering im the mac tools dealer for doncaster and i have never heard of them makes me go a big hmmmmmm

Genuine VW OEM Retrofit Kit - Discover Media Navigation - with DAB Radio | VAG-TEC E-shop

thanks for any help :)

Has anyone managed to unlock the electronic voice amplification on the composition media unit?

I use app-connect and Siri 99% of the time, so I don't really want to go down the route of a dealership upgrade to voice control etc..

Not a huge issue, just curious.

Cheers, Dan

Has anyone managed to unlock the electronic voice amplification on the composition media unit?

I use app-connect and Siri 99% of the time, so I don't really want to go down the route of a dealership upgrade to voice control etc..

Not a huge issue, just curious.

Cheers, Dan
Electronic amplifier for driver(70400) is activated by SWaP code. Is this code on your list of available FEC?

Reactions: mmi
yes agreed, trying to find a reputable source to sort it though seems to be the difficulty.

just not keen on the halo, not keen on the kenwood...just wish i had put this on my options.

seen this also and they are local based....considering im the mac tools dealer for doncaster and i have never heard of them makes me go a big hmmmmmm

Genuine VW OEM Retrofit Kit - Discover Media Navigation - with DAB Radio | VAG-TEC E-shop

thanks for any help :)
Trusted reviews say this company is dodgy.

That company is dodgy, I have dealt with them in the past and they lie and cheat, some people have had good dealings with them but they pretend to be in the UK and use a British mobile number but are in fact in Poland and if you get any issues then will not help

yeah i got that vibe after a phone call...
i also then chatted to a colleague of mine and accidentally replied to the wrong person saying dodgy foreign....
ooooops. kinda funny but not

lol!! no :);)

i have stacks of foreign customers... better than uk ones tbh most of the blumin time... i think you just get a vibe... they weren't interested, short on phone... not interested in anything you were asking... and couldnt understand the request and concerns..
and as previous... based in london...company in doncaster...do vdub dealer parts... but foreign... and all seems funny...no actual work address..
thus the grinness bla bla bla

be wary of head unit gen retro installs

i have fitted a gen discover media that although was in protect mode had nav working, app connect working...bla bla bla..
get it component protection off using vdub germant for checking etc online...all off and ok....

half of stereo shut down, half my vans gone to shite... need to sort new year
front assist as in emerg brake, cruise and auto braking shut down...i even have the flashing dpf regen on all time...

irony ....put old back in....component preotection now...and still vans to pot

believe its not seeing the correct can gateway...

so be careful people..im at the oh ffs stage....

Last edited:
@Dellmassive

great info on the spec but can you recommend where best to start getting myself up to speed with all this? Talk of FEC and SWaP etc here and on other threads but I think I need to learn a little more about this before I start FECing around with anything ;)

Cheer
Chris

Lol chris....

FEC and SWaP relates to advanced programming and features that are dealer level.

Normal users of the standard OEM kit need never worry about any of it.

However, if you plan to suss it all out start with a Google search and a few YT vids. be warned you will end up with a headache.

For the rest of us its nothing to be concerned with.

Ok cheers, I’ll check it out but I guess I’ll start by learning how to tune the radio first then progress to this stuff later:thumbsup:

Sorry to ask but I am looking for advice about upgrading my head unit, but completely baffled by the various versions and different part numbers. I have a 2018 HL with, from what I can gather, the composite colour unit (the one with 3 square buttons on each side) and want to upgrade it to one with satnav, which I am told is the Discover Media model (not sure if that is right or not). I have seen the positive reviews about Kenwoods etc but would like to stay with OEM. There are a number of these units available on eBay, but all still fairly pricey, and so need to know what to look out for. Ideally I want to be able to unplug my old unit and plug in the new one and hey presto everything works! But from what I have read I doubt if it is that simple? Any advice would be appreciated.

Back