Media, Head Units, App Connect, Voice . . . . . Etc

Hi folks, can anyone give me their opinion on how willing you would be to spend your hard-earned on this? It's exactly what I'm after, but I'm not sure how risky it is buying something like this. Obviously don't fancy ending up with a very expensive brick!

Well I went for it, and I’m happy to say it’s all working perfectly! Had to swap over the USB port to get CarPlay working so it was a bigger job than I was expecting. Very happy with it though!

Hi folks, can anyone give me their opinion on how willing you would be to spend your hard-earned on this? It's exactly what I'm after, but I'm not sure how risky it is buying something like this. Obviously don't fancy ending up with a very expensive brick!

4FC05D40-78EC-4420-B8A1-7CA079B4128F.jpeg

Well I went for it, and I’m happy to say it’s all working perfectly! Had to swap over the USB port to get CarPlay working so it was a bigger job than I was expecting. Very happy with it though!

View attachment 100892
Hey, Looks good. I am thinking of going for the same thing. Not sure whether to go kenwood or for the factory mib. Was it fairly straight-forward or did you have to do any programming? also have you got a reversing camera?

It was pretty straightforward apart from the USB port replacement. I only have rear reversing sensors, no camera on mine (though since it's a straight quadlock swap I think this shouldn't make things any more complicated if you had an existing camera). Swapping the headunit itself in was really easy. Once I realised I needed the different USB port there were various parts of the dash I ended up removing to find a decent route from the back of the port on the dash through to the back of the stereo unit. I wasn't able to remove the old USB cable completely because it's wrapped into the loom, so it's still in there and taped up to stop it rattling around.

I didn't need to code anything though, it all worked out the box as the unit had already been unlocked.

Gents,

Been reading this thread and wanted to check a few things @T6DSGChris, @Dellmassive @Dinsdale

I am looking to removing the Alpine system in my 69 Van and replacing with the Genuine VW Bluetooth Radio System ,CD Player,WG8 L56VW2 from a 16 plate van.

Does anyone know if this will fit - I have been told it could be "coded" - the owner the Radio says not!

Would appreciate if anyone knows whether it it would fit?
Would it plug in and Play?
Anything else I should be wary of?

Many thanks, Paul

Hi all. I have a standard t5.1 head unit I would like to upgrade to a more modern head unit which I can connect my phone etc too via Bluetooth. Is there a model this is possible with and a direct swap without installing extra components?

UPDATE TIME>>>>>>>

I just had my doorstop discover media head unit..... made plug and play and all systems working...
took the chap all of ten minutes..
only thing extra was to let the van clocks know it has nav so all works through the clocks...vcds quick fix
also...he changed my kph to mph and did the silly chavvy clock needles top and bottom trick when ignition switched on.

cost me £120 as i had the head unit and the usb for the glovebox... the usb would have been £60 if needed...
my old unit will go back in if need be and the discover media will go in any van...and work...

i got there in the end..

My discover media unit appears to be stuck booting up
Initial screen vw welcome displays intermittently but nothing else
Anyone any experience or ideas
Im thinking of complete replacement with after market unit

My discover media unit appears to be stuck booting up
Initial screen vw welcome displays intermittently but nothing else
Anyone any experience or ideas
Im thinking of complete replacement with after market unit
I had exact same issue...luckily just got it replaced under warranty 2 weeks before it ran out..

Great information on here as usual, thanks to @Dellmassive.
Can someone just confirm to me that as the owner of a colour composition radio ( number 2 on the list) my only option to get app connect would be to upgrade to a new headunit (aftermarket or official) and that the discussions on here about dealer software updates / usb swap outs etc is only relevant for the color composition media radio units and above.
Thanks

Please explain why.
He is a member of this forum and his “day job” is ICE. Very well regarded by other members who have used his services - a search of this forum will confirm. If you are changing the head unit anyway, you don’t need to be tied to OEM equipment. He could advise and guide you on your options

Anyone know if I can have carplay enabled on my basic stereo. Basically want to push satnav on my iphone through to the head unit.

7D5A8EE0-B0D9-4D14-96B8-0C22FF6F6CA4.jpeg99F9D551-1E65-4EB3-9D3A-14F1C19FA523.jpeg

Back