Making My Own Furniture - 3d Renders

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Gradually been converting my Kombi (and failing massively to update my build thread - one for a rainy day in Autumn :)). Finally getting to the end and I've reach the furniture stage. My build / requirements are non-standard and I cant see anything flat pack / off the shelf that fits my needs (/wants):

- Full length 1180 Variotech 3000 rail system that I want to slide fully forward (for travel with small kids)
- Kitchen in rear pod (sink only in furniture) as I want to cook outside
- Big fridge needed (again for kids) - with most narrow furniture the fridge is inset meaning the RNR cant slide fully forward. I have modded the metalwork with my van so it *should* *just* clear the fridge when sliding.

Given I cant find anything that works for me off the shelf and as I have a little skill in 3D modeling, I thought I'd have a go at designing my own furniture and then get it CNC routed from Ply (Im thinking bamboo ply for weight saving) then laminated / lacquered.

My question to you all..... What have I missed in my designs? Almost 100% I've forgotten something or designed something that looks good but isnt going to work well in practice and if I can change things around now itll save me time & money prototyping.

So, expert hats on - whats wrong with my plans? Renders below:

Front inside.jpg
Back Inside.jpg
No Doors.JPEG
Outside.jpg

Design isnt 100% complete but its pretty close now.

Things I already know are wrong / questionable:
  • Scribing to the van shape on the outside edge is wrong (intentionally as it'll be much more accurate done in-situ as measuring angles etc acurately with a non-regular shape is a bugger)
  • Rear external shelves need some kind of support (cant use a back plate due to the above....), probably solvable by bracketing to the metalwork / panel
  • Sliding cupboard doors could open in transit. Cambee (design inspiration for my doors) use catches for them but I think they're kinda ugly. I'm planning to use draft excluder tape to apply some limited friction between doors. May / may not work but i can always add a catch if not.
Appreciate the wisdom of the group on this before Im 100% committed (and paying for it!).

Gradually been converting my Kombi (and failing massively to update my build thread - one for a rainy day in Autumn :)). Finally getting to the end and I've reach the furniture stage. My build / requirements are non-standard and I cant see anything flat pack / off the shelf that fits my needs (/wants):

- Full length 1180 Variotech 3000 rail system that I want to slide fully forward (for travel with small kids)
- Kitchen in rear pod (sink only in furniture) as I want to cook outside
- Big fridge needed (again for kids) - with most narrow furniture the fridge is inset meaning the RNR cant slide fully forward. I have modded the metalwork with my van so it *should* *just* clear the fridge when sliding.

Given I cant find anything that works for me off the shelf and as I have a little skill in 3D modeling, I thought I'd have a go at designing my own furniture and then get it CNC routed from Ply (Im thinking bamboo ply for weight saving) then laminated / lacquered.

My question to you all..... What have I missed in my designs? Almost 100% I've forgotten something or designed something that looks good but isnt going to work well in practice and if I can change things around now itll save me time & money prototyping.

So, expert hats on - whats wrong with my plans? Renders below:

View attachment 47914
View attachment 47915
View attachment 47916
View attachment 47917

Design isnt 100% complete but its pretty close now.

Things I already know are wrong / questionable:
  • Scribing to the van shape on the outside edge is wrong (intentionally as it'll be much more accurate done in-situ as measuring angles etc acurately with a non-regular shape is a bugger)
  • Rear external shelves need some kind of support (cant use a back plate due to the above....), probably solvable by bracketing to the metalwork / panel
  • Sliding cupboard doors could open in transit. Cambee (design inspiration for my doors) use catches for them but I think they're kinda ugly. I'm planning to use draft excluder tape to apply some limited friction between doors. May / may not work but i can always add a catch if not.
Appreciate the wisdom of the group on this before Im 100% committed (and paying for it!).
Hi,

I am considering a similar setup and was trying to decide on the fridge size/furniture combo.. i want the 1200 width seat and have, at this stage, decided to go with the smaller fridge but to have one of these Dometic Portable for the back of the camper. With the variotech seat system there is plenty of room at the back and under the bench... Maybe worth considering if it helps with the furniture design/issue...

CZ.

Hi,

I am considering a similar setup and was trying to decide on the fridge size/furniture combo.. i want the 1200 width seat and have, at this stage, decided to go with the smaller fridge but to have one of these Dometic Portable for the back of the camper. With the variotech seat system there is plenty of room at the back and under the bench... Maybe worth considering if it helps with the furniture design/issue...

CZ.

I've already made a locking drawer system under the bench to house a removable kitchen pod. There's not as much room as you'd think due to the legs being quite central. Definitely not enough for a fridge. I wanted originally to put a sink + hob there but the space is just too limited so a bigger hob was best option (and even then there isn't much room for the gas cannister).

My fridge is a vitrifrigo c50i so pretty big and definitely at the limits of what fits with an 1180 seat but delighted with the capacity and performance.

I've already made a locking drawer system under the bench to house a removable kitchen pod. There's not as much room as you'd think due to the legs being quite central. Definitely not enough for a fridge. I wanted originally to put a sink + hob there but the space is just too limited so a bigger hob was best option (and even then there isn't much room for the gas cannister).

My fridge is a vitrifrigo c50i so pretty big and definitely at the limits of what fits with an 1180 seat but delighted with the capacity and performance.
Fair enough. It great to see you going down the full customisation route, very inspiring. Attached is the rear of a camper I was looking at sporting the variotech system - seems like a good amount of space but if you have a kitchen pod there, them I guess you would be a bit stuck. The c50i is a nice looking fridge. Think I am waiting on making final decisions until busfest... :)

IMG_0456.JPG

Oh meant to ask, as i think we discussed on your build thread, but how are you getting on with the rear seats and hilo roof? I looked at the seat height i am currently planning, see image, and am still not 100% that there will be enough headroom. but am struggling to find the right combination to go and view in person...

CZ.

IMG_6240.JPG

Oh meant to ask, as i think we discussed on your build thread, but how are you getting on with the rear seats and hilo roof? I looked at the seat height i am currently planning, see image, and am still not 100% that there will be enough headroom. but am struggling to find the right combination to go and view in person...

CZ.

View attachment 48164
It's fine for my use. I wouldn't think it would be great if you have tall (6'+) people regularly sitting in the back though.

Fair enough. It great to see you going down the full customisation route, very inspiring. Attached is the rear of a camper I was looking at sporting the variotech system - seems like a good amount of space but if you have a kitchen pod there, them I guess you would be a bit stuck. The c50i is a nice looking fridge. Think I am waiting on making final decisions until busfest... :)

View attachment 48163

Your photo is right but take a closer look at the seat legs and rail positions.

If you want to move the load back/forward on the rails and factoring drawer runners to allow access, the biggest available space is around 65cm wide / 70cm long (the space between the legs). That's actually not a lot of space compared to a full width system like a slide pod. Depth is also less.

Anyway. No one have any advice on my plans? I would have thought there was someone out there who's build their own & learned...?

Your photo is right but take a closer look at the seat legs and rail positions.

If you want to move the load back/forward on the rails and factoring drawer runners to allow access, the biggest available space is around 65cm wide / 70cm long (the space between the legs). That's actually not a lot of space compared to a full width system like a slide pod. Depth is also less.

Anyway. No one have any advice on my plans? I would have thought there was someone out there who's build their own & learned...?
Thanks for your thoughts! Think it will work for my needs. But a stroll round busfest will hopefully help me. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you....

Designs look great. On mine about finished basic electrics (solar plus nemo b2d), tow bar and insulation.

But now hard part decisions about furnishing, finishes, beds, furniture( or no furniture). Summer hols arrived and it's gonna be just mattress in back.

Been searching for CAD models for van interior but not found any yet. They use rhino in work, played a bit with librecad at weekend. What have you been using to model; comercial package? you got models you can share?

Keep us all posted with how its progressing.

Designs look great. On mine about finished basic electrics (solar plus nemo b2d), tow bar and insulation.

But now hard part decisions about furnishing, finishes, beds, furniture( or no furniture). Summer hols arrived and it's gonna be just mattress in back.

Been searching for CAD models for van interior but not found any yet. They use rhino in work, played a bit with librecad at weekend. What have you been using to model; comercial package? you got models you can share?

Keep us all posted with how its progressing.
Thanks! I use fusion 360. It's not as advanced as autocad etc but it work for my skill level.

3d renders of a swb interior would be damned useful. Best I found were some 2d plans which I then transposed to 3d to get a rough fit combined with manual measurements. Clearly won't be accurate enough to cut a profile to, hence the need for manual scribing.

Anyone got an idea or measurements for the maximum furniture widths when using Reimo Variotech 3000 sliding seats?
The standard seats widths are given as 1155, 1205, 1305 and 1380.
I am looking at 1155 or 1205 as I want to be able to fit the usual type of furniture along with a Dometic CB40 top loader fridge and maybe a Wallas XC diesel stove but I am not sure of the widths.
Reimo brochure claims the Escape has these appliances but doesn’t give seat widths.
As I am awkward I am now looking at a Jerba roof and Variotech seat but will have to drive it all over the country to get what I want!

Once I've confirmed they work, I'm open to doing that. They're pretty basic but might be some help I guess.

Hi Ann3x,

A fair old few months later. Are your models mature enough to share? Hopefully i could use as basis for my LWB.

Kinda stalled since august due to indecision related to clash between wanting lots of height on under bed storage (kayaks) and wanting proper rear seats with belts etc.

Still is van with bed in it rather than comfy camper.

Still no decision.

Regards
Owain

My 1st lot of CNC is done and I've got a pretty smart Kitchen Pod ready to go:
IMG_20191024_091125.jpg IMG_20191024_091113.jpg IMG_20191024_091101.jpg IMG_20191024_091043.jpg

Main cupboards have been cut this week and are being sent to me as soon as I can find a courier from Essex to the NW. Will take a while to get them assembled, lacquered and installed as I've got a lot on next few weeks. Once I've fitted I'll share the models (as no doubt I'll need to make some final tweaks as I find issues...).

Few words of warning tho:

1/ Its not a cheap way to get furniture unless you have access to a cheap CNC. Much more costly than flat pack / standard assembly.
2/ You need a CNC shop who are sensible about input files.... IGES is what I've used in the end, most of the CNC shops I contacted couldn't be bothered to do doubled sided cuts or work with any filetype beyond the most basic.
3/ It needs much more finishing / DIY skills than flat pack options (eg some scribing of cupboards, fettling of joins, sanding etc)
4/ It's highly specific to my personal needs/aims - not necessarily compatible with a range of products (eg custom fit for my RNR width, fridge, sink, no stove in units etc). If you don't want to use exactly the same config as me, you'll need some 3D modelling skills to tailor things to your needs before cutting.

From what I've got with the kitchen pod though I'm confident that it'll end up as a much higher quality finish (& unique) set than the standard.

Taken just a bit longer than expected but my furniture is now cut, assembled and lacquered. Few things to complete before I install but so far.... looks pretty good imo! ~(excuse the mess):

IMG_20191207_185341.jpg
IMG_20191207_185413.jpg
IMG_20191207_185351.jpg

To do:
- Laminate melamine onto doors / front panels
- Install sliding doors
- Fabricate brackets to mount to metalwork

Back