U Shape furniture self built from CAD

MurrayT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Thought I'd share my attempts at a self build U shape bed system.

After a bit of hunting I found some CAD plans for sale on Ebay. Images were limited but seemed to show the U shape system very similar to that of Van Furniture etc.

I am fortunate enough to have a friend with a business and a CNC router and so the plans were passed to him.

We decided to initially build in 15mm ply. We weren't sure how good the CAD plans were and this would give us a budget version to see how it fits.

The eventual plan would be do go for 18mm buffalo/hex ply.

The plans have been an OK starting point but far from the finished article! We are in the process of re measuring/designing panels to ensure a perfect fit (or as good as!) The sliding bed panels are the wrong size (500mm on plans but should be 547) so we will need to re cut.

I've attached some images of the first fit and will update with more images as we progress. The kitchen unit is not in position as leisure battery and electrics sitting behind until i reposition

IMG-20230209-WA0018.jpegIMG-20230209-WA0018.jpeg20230209_165358.jpg20230209_165350.jpg20230209_165302.jpg20230209_165531.jpg20230209_165410.jpg

20230209_165324.jpg

20230209_165257.jpg

20230209_165312.jpg

Following with interest as about to embark on a similar route, although I have no access to a cnc machine :) Planning on using the laminated lite ply from Morland, the samples I received from them were top notch. Not sure if you have seen this idea for under the unit by the sliding door but going to try and have a go at this when I fit the floor.

CJW04158.jpg

Also following this, but probably having a buy a kit from van Furniture.
why doesn’t the longer rear top slatted section not extend out right up to the closed tailgate? this would give another 100mm of bed length, and stop any pillows falling down the back.
I’ve seen people can fit in a chair pod so there must me empty space.

Also following this, but probably having a buy a kit from van Furniture.
why doesn’t the longer rear top slatted section not extend out right up to the closed tailgate? this would give another 100mm of bed length, and stop any pillows falling down the back.
I’ve seen people can fit in a chair pod so there must me empty space.
Screenshot_20230210-110435_YouTube.jpg
Yes same thought. This was from a Van Furniture home install I watched on YouTube. He has fitted some bars and a secondary back support to solve. I guess it's all a bit of trial and error.

That's why I'm glad I've gone for this first try in 15mm ply. If I make a mess of it we can adapt and try again

Following with interest as about to embark on a similar route, although I have no access to a cnc machine :) Planning on using the laminated lite ply from Morland, the samples I received from them were top notch. Not sure if you have seen this idea for under the unit by the sliding door but going to try and have a go at this when I fit the floor.

View attachment 187897
That's great. I did think that area was a bit of a weak point that needed additional support. Thanks for posting!

Hi, looks really good, I am thinking of changing my standard rock and roll bed and kitchen unit to this, but don’t have access to a concrete machine. I don’t suppose your friend could quote me for a SWB u shape at all? Well the same design above? Many thanks

Hi, looks really good, I am thinking of changing my standard rock and roll bed and kitchen unit to this, but don’t have access to a concrete machine. I don’t suppose your friend could quote me for a SWB u shape at all? Well the same design above? Many thanks
His business is predominantly metal work but I'm sure we could get a flat pack one quoted.

I'd like to wait until we have ironed out the few niggles and make sure it's fit for purpose.

View attachment 187897
@ohisay - Although not functional as a cubby hole for your use, this narrower side step may be better to spread the weight of the cupboards / lounge area for the access gap you are looking at? :thumbsup:

1676239167701.png

Last edited:
I would also be interested in a buffalo board u shape bed and kitchen, looking to get ours done in April/May, it would be great if the rear tailgate cupboard door could be made as big as possible to ease packing larger items.
@ohisay - Although not functional as a cubby hole for your use, this narrower side step may be better to spread the weight of the cupboards / lounge area for the access gap you are looking at? :thumbsup:

View attachment 188105

on another thread, I’ve asked if a Loc8 table could be used with the U shape bed layout, that protrudes into sliding door space, it seems you need the full width of the step cutout to get the table on and off the sliding door, jury is still out if the table can fit, so I’m going to fit furniture first and see what space is left, nothing is simple is it...

View attachment 188105

Thanks for the link, never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity of the Transporter community !

Okay some more advice needed from the experts or those of you with u shape set up. When the bed is out should all surfaces be at an even height?

At the moment my bed slats nearest the sliding door would sit 15mm lower when in bed mode. This is obviously due to one panel sitting on top of the other in seating mode and thus flush.

Logic would tell me to raise the uprights 15mm on that side so that when in bed mode it's flush. Then there would be a 15mm raise on that side when in seat mode?

In seat mode the 15mm difference would be aesthetic (cushions would be obviously sitting higher). In bed mode would I feel the height difference? And again if I re do in 18mm it'll be another 3mm imbalance.

Images I can see online from different suppliers of u shape furniture seem to differ or are unclear

Hope this makes sense. I've added some pictures

Screenshot_20230221-160236_Gallery.jpg20230221_155102.jpg

Looking at the van furniture website it looks like the surfaces are only level when in seat mode. When in bed mode it looks lower on the middle and one side, not sure if this helps

E2A28467-4BBC-4532-96E2-A84DE6141BBD.png01BA8B09-1048-4DE9-8624-0AB5D61E8410.png

Thanks. Must have missed that when I looked on the website could only see the first image you posted. That second image is exactly what I was looking for!

At the moment I just seem to be staring at my van hoping the obvious solution will come to me and it doesn't!

I did wonder if it could be designed with a pull out that pulls forward on the passenger side so that it only overlaps the side door when in bed mode if that makes sense. I have the van furniture kombi set up but tbh it’s to high to sit on. I like the idea of the u shape set up which doesn’t use the kombi seats as part of the bed so it can be lower and sat on comfortably so I’m watching this thread with interest so keep the pictures coming

I did wonder if it could be designed with a pull out that pulls forward on the passenger side so that it only overlaps the side door when in bed mode if that makes sense. I have the van furniture kombi set up but tbh it’s to high to sit on. I like the idea of the u shape set up which doesn’t use the kombi seats as part of the bed so it can be lower and sat on comfortably so I’m watching this thread with interest so keep the pictures coming

Yeah it's making these standard plans work when we are all different heights. I'm 6ft so want to try and get the seating height and bed length just right. So I don't mind re cutting and trying different things.

It has to be comfortable to be useable. I've read lots about people spending 50-60k on top spec campers only to find out they can't sleep a wink on the rock n roll beds.

Will keep this thread updated as I go

Back