U Shape furniture self built from CAD

I’m also concerned about length of bed as it’s 170 in a swb so I’m going to extend the top of rear unit right up to the tailgate carpet, there’s a good 10cm + there

I had a very simple (agricultural some might say) pull out slat bed in my caddy and at 6'3" had to make all sorts of fold up shelves etc to make it sleepable... tbh it was never going to be massively comfortable but it was okay for a few nights in the Scottish hills, certainly a better option than a midge fest tent.. Upgrading to a T6 feels like moving into a stately home... I'm going for the U shape layout and looked at the Vanfurniture offering, but I'm thinking a pull out slat bed part for the infill would be better than folding over the base and having different levels (although whether you would notice a 15mm difference with the cushions over the top I don't know?). You've probably seen this one but I'll post it anyway
, the bed slats are pre curved (Ikea?) and would keep the bed area level. It wouldn't take advantage of your access to a CNC machine but solves the levelling issue.

I’m watching with interest!

We plan to convert ours in a couple of years when we can leave the kids at home.

I dont want a pop top
We dont plan to cook / wash up in the van.
We want 4 seats - 2 up front and a left & middle shuttle, removed when we go camping.
Maybe a mains fridge for hookup / run off inverter (TBC).

I think most of the U shaped seating / bed set ups extend across the sliding door which will probably interfere with the shuttle seats??

My thoughts are to have a run of low level units along the RHS up to the drivers seat and have the short run on the passenger side which also matches the sides of the bed we sleep (I’m 6’1” and SWMBO 5’4”). Perhaps it’ll need to step up for the fridge. I think have normal length seat pads and have a worktop type area low level where we can boil a kettle on the camp stove for a brew?

I dont recall seeing anything like this!

Great work! Wish i had the skills to do something like this, i made my own metal U shaped frame which was really good but i couldnt find anybody to clad it so ended up going with an off the shelf U shaped kit as i was just fed up at this point. I like it but i wouldnt say it perfect, would have liked a longer bed and no back rests etc.

My frame and full size bed
39E0A429-ED5E-43B8-A031-D8914E153C9E.jpeg

2B3F24F6-C2E9-4941-A37C-C921BA813C81.jpeg

The kit I've bought:
E2A156F3-A2DF-47FA-949D-D65CC609D701.jpeg

Great work! Wish i had the skills to do something like this, i made my own metal U shaped frame which was really good but i couldnt find anybody to clad it so ended up going with an off the shelf U shaped kit as i was just fed up at this point. I like it but i wouldnt say it perfect, would have liked a longer bed and no back rests etc.

My frame and full size bed
View attachment 189458

View attachment 189456

The kit I've bought:
View attachment 189457
Sam that looks like the nicest u shape set I've seen in terms of quality. Where is it from? Cushions look the best I've seen also, luxury feel.

Hi, anyone that’s installed their U shape setup?, is a 12mm ply floor thick enough to attach various sections of furniture? Or should 18mm ply be a better choice?, I will also try to use the factory tie down points if possible too
Ta

Hi, anyone that’s installed their U shape setup?, is a 12mm ply floor thick enough to attach various sections of furniture? Or should 18mm ply be a better choice?, I will also try to use the factory tie down points if possible too
Ta
I'm using 12mm ply with mine. Certain areas i'd have another 9mm of wood for the slats to level the rivets in the floor. Also bonded and screwed some timber to the side panels and finally if i'm still not convinced I have exposed various anchor points which have threads on them to be able to REALLY fix it down.

Yes,most go for 12 mm, a couple on converters I asked locally said they use 18mm, maybe it’s quicker for them not to fix batons under the floor first?
Anyway I thought 12 mm might be a little thin for the screws so managed to order ‘ Rare’ 15mm marine ply, to give a few more mm and like you will use brackets on the 10mm anchor points where possible
and i used some 9mm batons under this, I glued/bonded everything down, no screws
Just about to attempt fitting the altro Lino today, tomorrow,driving down to Van furniture to pick up the flat pack u shape kit

Yes,most go for 12 mm, a couple on converters I asked locally said they use 18mm, maybe it’s quicker for them not to fix batons under the floor first?
Anyway I thought 12 mm might be a little thin for the screws so managed to order ‘ Rare’ 15mm marine ply, to give a few more mm and like you will use brackets on the 10mm anchor points where possible
and i used some 9mm batons under this, I glued/bonded everything down, no screws
Just about to attempt fitting the altro Lino today, tomorrow,driving down to Van furniture to pick up the flat pack u shape kit
Where did you end up ordering your altro from? Just about to start looking for this as well

Where did you end up ordering your altro from? Just about to start looking for this as well
Got my flooring and other bits from Mega Van Mats, it’s just laying out in the sun warming up, before I glue it down, it’s tough old stuff, fit it on a warm day so it’s more flexible

Sam that looks like the nicest u shape set I've seen in terms of quality. Where is it from? Cushions look the best I've seen also, luxury feel.
Hi Murray, how did it go with the updated CNC plans, would you be willing to share them for a cost at all? I'm searching for a CNC machine local to me and to build a set as well

Hi Murray. Also curious to know know you got on in the end, and whether you'd be willing to share/sell the plans on? A friend of mine has a CNC machine he's willing to lend for the job. Thanks

Hi all sorry for the delay. Yes plans I purchased needed some adjustments but pretty much good to go. My friend has them on his computer system at the factory. I'll speak to him this week. I paid a few hundred for the original plans. I'll maybe ask for a small fee to share just so I can get a few beers for my mate if nothing else.

Will drop a message in here when I've got them

Hi all sorry for the delay. Yes plans I purchased needed some adjustments but pretty much good to go. My friend has them on his computer system at the factory. I'll speak to him this week. I paid a few hundred for the original plans. I'll maybe ask for a small fee to share just so I can get a few beers for my mate if nothing else.

That sounds good to me mate, can you tag me when you've got the plans an worked out how many beers were paying for? Haha

Amazing Murray, thank you. Happy to contribute to the beer fund ;) Thanks

Yeah it's making these standard plans work when we are all different heights. I'm 6ft so want to try and get the seating height and bed length just right. So I don't mind re cutting and trying different things.

It has to be comfortable to be useable. I've read lots about people spending 50-60k on top spec campers only to find out they can't sleep a wink on the rock n roll beds.

Will keep this thread updated as I go
Hi Murray any updates I’m ready to fit out wanting to go u-shaped cheers

I am interested to buy good CNC plans (DXF files?) for T6 LWB as well, I'll follow this thread.

Thought I'd share my attempts at a self build U shape bed system.

After a bit of hunting I found some CAD plans for sale on Ebay. Images were limited but seemed to show the U shape system very similar to that of Van Furniture etc.

I am fortunate enough to have a friend with a business and a CNC router and so the plans were passed to him.

We decided to initially build in 15mm ply. We weren't sure how good the CAD plans were and this would give us a budget version to see how it fits.

The eventual plan would be do go for 18mm buffalo/hex ply.

The plans have been an OK starting point but far from the finished article! We are in the process of re measuring/designing panels to ensure a perfect fit (or as good as!) The sliding bed panels are the wrong size (500mm on plans but should be 547) so we will need to re cut.

I've attached some images of the first fit and will update with more images as we progress. The kitchen unit is not in position as leisure battery and electrics sitting behind until i reposition

View attachment 187870View attachment 187870View attachment 187873View attachment 187874View attachment 187876View attachment 187871View attachment 187872

View attachment 187875

View attachment 187877

View attachment 187878
Thats my converting with u shape bed I wanted that set up instead of rnr bed

20230222_112723.jpg

20230527_124019.jpg

20230527_124052.jpg

20230527_124151.jpg

Back