Kombi To Camper - 1st Time Conversion

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So here goes, I've been lurking a while but finally my van is here.

Kombi 150 T32 4-Motion SWB in Starlight blue. Plenty of options included:
  • Diff Lock
  • Electric interface & MFU
  • Power latching all around
  • ACC
  • LEDs
  • Nav
  • Factory Swivels
  • Parking heater / factory leisure battery
  • Comfort Dash
  • etc
Over the next year or so I'm going to be converting it to a camper BUT it's also a daily driver for my family (with 2 small kids) which means a few challenges!

Rough plan:
  • Hilo pop top - Booked with Xtremevan in Leicester for early Oct, I'm "inspired by @Deaky's Hilo fitout so will try and replicate his pipebox headlining idea which is super neat.
  • Sound deadening, insulation, lining, 1st fix electrics done myself
  • "Car like" cab for d2d use (Caravelle parts, more sound deadening etc) - done myself.
  • 3/4 Reimo Variotech 3000 R&R bed with bonded rails (having the kids at the back isnt really an option). I think 3/4 is fine size wise personally and the storage space from extra cupboards is useful.
  • @slidepods esc drawer / removable pod kitchen under the Reimo. I know a few wood CNCers so will try and do this myself - real slidepods are gorgeous but a bit big to fit under the Reimo (and also too wide).
  • Kitchen will be fairly minimal as we dont mind going a bit rough (also means I probably wont fit a permanent waste or water tank).
I'm probably biting off more than I can chew as I've got a pretty busy job, a house move to do at the same time and this is my 1st real car conversion work! But anyway.... I'll learn fast.

Here's a few pics of it as "Vanilla" Kombi:
IMG-20180921-WA0003.jpg IMG_20180922_183439.jpg IMG_20180926_103252.jpg IMG_20180926_103315.jpg IMG_20180926_103339.jpg

And here are my 1st 2 mods to whet the appetite! Both courtesy of the forum shop and dead easy to do:

Caravelle Indicators:

29130-fd297a62fceee031fd575a8b9995d17a.jpg

Extra Door Seals:

IMG_20180926_093830.jpgIMG_20180926_093834.jpg

Can't believe how much difference the door seals make. Wondering if it would help around the slider / tailgate too.... Anyone tried?

Next job will be interior, probably after it comes back from the poptop fitting. My plan is as follows:
  • Silentcoat 2mm on panels in load area, cab doors & wheel arch exteriors
  • Dodo MLV under cab floor (no point doing rear as it'll be torn up by the Reimo fit) & wheel arch exteriors
  • Dodo Thermo Van Liner Extreme (everywhere I can get the stuff inside the van)
  • 3.6mm Ply lining with MVM hidden fixings
  • MVM 4 way stretch Anthracite on the metalwork (Ill try and emulate @Absolut5's seamless approach but given I'm a nooby here - lets see :))
  • MVM 4 way stretch Smoke on the ply panels
  • MVM Brushed Nylon Headlining on Hilo panel / Roof fixings.
  • Caravelle door cards - if I can find some that match the lower dash colour at a sensible price (as I assume that changing the lower dash out is a massive headache....)
Stay tuned.

Anyone got any tips on the 1st fix electrics btw?

IMG_20180926_093841.jpg

Nice one - I'd be keen to understand who you choose for your Reimo 3000 install. I am looking at getting that done right now too.

Im not booked in yet, expect to get it done in the new year.

I've been looking at DirtyWeekender & Sherwood Campers as theyre the closest installers I've found to me (NW England) and the prices seem comparable everywhere from the quotes I've had.

We do actually make a slidepod for the variotech these days

Interesting. For the full width I assume tho? Are there pics on your site as when I was planning this didnt see it as an option.

Love your work so if you do something that suits what I'm planning, I might reconsider!

Ok, so 3rd mod, dodo bonnet liner:

IMG_20180927_182003.jpg

Not 100% convinced this is really worth it as the Kombi looks to have decent deadening under there already but the dodo bonnet kit was pretty cheap so - why not.
Not that easy to fit as whilst the adhesive sticks fine to metalwork the existing pad in the Kombi is quite resistant to sticking.

Anyway, done.

Time for an update.

I got some cali door cards, insulated the backs and then refitted. Need to sort out the ambient lighting at some point and there is a slight stain on the fabric on one door but otherwise pretty straightforward.

Before:
IMG_20180922_183439.jpg
During:
IMG_20181004_095909.jpg IMG_20181004_095928.jpg
I only silentcoated the inner skin, then insulated the door card itself to get a better fit. Not sure I have enough on but can always add more later.
After:
IMG_20181025_192637.jpg
Then I took the van into Xtremevan in market harborough to get the Hilo fitted. They did a great job, used MVM headlining material as I requested. I'm going to steal @Deaky's pelmet idea and add them in later.

True carbon roof with, scenic roof in Jade colour and polished hinges. Approval tested by a 2 year old:
IMG_20181013_173953.jpg
Should probably take a pic of the outside!

Started lining panels, Smoke 4 way from MVM, will be paired with Anthracite for metalwork later and some teal vinyl to match the roof on the c pillars.
IMG_20180930_145311.jpg IMG_20180930_145341.jpg IMG_20180930_145323.jpg
IMG_20180930_145404.jpg IMG_20180930_145355.jpg IMG_20180930_150635.jpg IMG_20180930_150914.jpg IMG_20180930_152424.jpg IMG_20180930_152631.jpg
IMG_20181016_184832.jpg IMG_20181016_184840.jpg
As the vinyl is thin, I put a layer of card over the hidden clips to make it a smooth surface.

Then got onto sound deadening & insulation:
IMG_20180930_155812.jpg IMG_20181021_124132.jpg IMG_20181021_124121.jpg
One coat of 2mm silent coat then one layer of dodomat extreme as far up into cavity s as i could reach. I did the slider too, just didnt take a pic.

Next job is to 1st fix electrics (basically Im just going to run some conduit for later wiring), make the pelmets and then its going in for the Reimo Variotech 3000 fit.

Last edited:
Time for an update.

I got some cali door cards, insulated the backs and then refitted. Need to sort out the ambient lighting at some point and there is a slight stain on the fabric on one door but otherwise pretty straightforward.

Before:
View attachment 30674
During:
View attachment 30675 View attachment 30676
I only silentcoated the inner skin, then insulated the door card itself to get a better fit. Not sure I have enough on but can always add more later.
After:
View attachment 30677
Then I took the van into Xtremevan in market harborough to get the Hilo fitted. They did a great job, used MVM headlining material as I requested. I'm going to steal @Deaky's pelmet idea and add them in later.

True carbon roof with, scenic roof in Jade colour and polished hinges. Approval tested by a 2 year old:
View attachment 30680
Should probably take a pic of the outside!

Started lining panels, Smoke 4 way from MVM, will be paired with Anthracite for metalwork later and some teal vinyl to match the roof on the c pillars.
View attachment 30681 View attachment 30683 View attachment 30682
View attachment 30689 View attachment 30687 View attachment 30691 View attachment 30684 View attachment 30685 View attachment 30686
View attachment 30697 View attachment 30698
As the vinyl is thin, I put a layer of card over the hidden clips to make it a smooth surface.

Then got onto sound deadening & insulation:
View attachment 30692 View attachment 30695 View attachment 30694
One coat of 2mm silent coat then one layer of dodomat extreme as far up into cavity s as i could reach. I did the slider too, just didnt take a pic.

Next job is to 1st fix electrics (basically Im just going to run some conduit for later wiring), make the pelmets and then its going in for the Reimo Variotech 3000 fit.
How did it all turn out?

How did it all turn out?
Posted a few times elsewhere but I guess it makes sense to post here!

I reckon I'm about 70% through conversion. Was aiming for May to finish but had a major spanner in the works as my wife got crashed into whilst driving it. Totalled the tailgate and F/R bumpers. Wont cost me anything (100% their fault) but means it's been at the repair shop for around 6w now so no progress possible - and I was just about on track!

I've taken photos throughout the build and will post them at some point but here's current state:

Done:
  • Sound deadening
  • Insulation
  • Carpet Lining + Vinyl
  • Hilo Roof
  • Reimo Variotech 3000
  • Super B Lithium Leisure battery with Sterling b2b
  • Roof Pelmets with built in strip lights (shameless stolen concept from Deaky)
  • Sockets & wiring
  • Wheels + Tyres (Amarok steelies + Bridgestone AS)
  • Blinds (swellshades - tailgate blind damaged in crash)
  • Various cosmetics (trim etc)
  • Water tank mounted (slimline side panel like Fish has used)
  • Fridge installed (and then damaged 3d later via the crash!)
  • Fitted Cabbunk for front seat baby "storage" ;)
  • Awning bought (Vango Airhub Hexaway)
To Do:
  • Sound deaden wheel arches
  • Plumbing, Water pump + Drains (everything but pump bought)
  • Kitchen + Furniture, will be custom CNCd Bamboo Ply. I have CAD'd up what I'm going to do but need final measurements - and need the van to get them.
  • "Slidepod" esk rear drawer with Kitchen (Bamboo CNC as above)
  • Multirail fit (+ possibly an Omnistor)
  • Vanshades SeatPod (bought but needs fitting)
  • LOC8 table fit (my attempt with ply worked but I was unhappy with the fit)
  • VB Air Sus (on order)
  • Mod Remi-front blinds for Cab (bought but again, need to fit to the van before I can start mod)
  • Move HUP somewhere better (currently below bumper - I want either behind VW logo on front or behind rear light cluster)
Obviously, when it comes back it'll be practically usable as a camper but far from finished in time for the good weather which is disappointing.

Hey ho.

Sorry to hear about that!!! What a complete !@"£. Still sounds like, from doing all that work, you will have learnt a lot and got what you wanted. My Van is on order but i will get it converted by 1 or multiple companies. Just trying to sort that side out now... however BusFest has been mentioned and it might be worth going there prior to booking something in with a converter. Am currently swaying between Van Worx, Exploria and VW-T (as they are close to me)...

Figures crossed you still get some good times in it this summer!!

Sorry to read about the accident, hope you get it all sorted out. Looking forward to seeing your build photos and in particular the headroom in the back with the Hilo and 3000.
I am also keen on this combination for my LWB 4Motion T6 so it would be good to see it installed.

Sorry to read about the accident, hope you get it all sorted out. Looking forward to seeing your build photos and in particular the headroom in the back with the Hilo and 3000.
I am also keen on this combination for my LWB 4Motion T6 so it would be good to see it installed.
Had a conversation with New Wave yesterday and they warned against the Hilo - mentioning the build quality and was surprised it passed the crash testing. Not a ringing endorsement - that said, quite a few on here have them and seem happy... I am probably going to go with the Reimo comfort bed pop top and the variotech seat system. As this is the only major body work i will need doing - as have factory fit windows already - I will most likely have the work done by CMC as they are both Reimo and VW certified - or so their website says... The rest of the 'soft conversion i will probably have done elsewhere...

Without actually seeing either the Hilo or the 3000 in the metal it’s hard to know what’s for the best and in truth one mans meat is another’s poison as they say.
I originally planned a Jerba roof which I have seen and which is very good if a little industrial looking with the bed showing. My main interest is the roof rack loading I can get away with as I am a windsurfer and paddle boarder and often have big loads up there. As far as I can tell it 50kg on Reimo 75kg on SCA and 100kg on either the Jerba or the Hilo. Sorry for the thread drift. Would still love to see the 3000 under the Hilo as the OP has already done

Without actually seeing either the Hilo or the 3000 in the metal it’s hard to know what’s for the best and in truth one mans meat is another’s poison as they say.
I originally planned a Jerba roof which I have seen and which is very good if a little industrial looking with the bed showing. My main interest is the roof rack loading I can get away with as I am a windsurfer and paddle boarder and often have big loads up there. As far as I can tell it 50kg on Reimo 75kg on SCA and 100kg on either the Jerba or the Hilo. Sorry for the thread drift. Would still love to see the 3000 under the Hilo as the OP has already done
Hi, see this thread for some interesting comments, Weight limit on roof rack with pop top up?. Particularly the comments from MikeB and dave1986... they might be worth talking to?

My HiLo fitter asked me if I wanted to put my roof bars back on, I'm not really fussed as I never use them and like the extra headroom.

He did say that he was glad I made that decision as he would be very uncomfortable fitting bars to a HiLo, apparently not much 'meat' to bolt into?

Had a conversation with New Wave yesterday and they warned against the Hilo - mentioning the build quality and was surprised it passed the crash testing. Not a ringing endorsement - that said, quite a few on here have them and seem happy... I am probably going to go with the Reimo comfort bed pop top and the variotech seat system. As this is the only major body work i will need doing - as have factory fit windows already - I will most likely have the work done by CMC as they are both Reimo and VW certified - or so their website says... The rest of the 'soft conversion i will probably have done elsewhere...
Do they install the Hilo?

From my experience EVERY converter swears blind by the roof they can sell you. Hilo does have some areas for improvement (mainly tie downs and the finish of the aperture) but structurally its solid - at least mine is.

Do they install the Hilo?

From my experience EVERY converter swears blind by the roof they can sell you. Hilo does have some areas for improvement (mainly tie downs and the finish of the aperture) but structurally its solid - at least mine is.
They mentioned them in the contest that they have had a few campers in for other modifications and after seeing the Hilo roofs in those were not impressed. They also mentioned that they used to install SCA roofs and that used to be very good but said that they have had supply/quality issues over the past few years and this was the reason that they have moved to Reimo... I was considering the SCA bed but having been down to CMC I am quite impressed with the Reimo product. Hilo was an outside choice for me as i went to see one and at 5ft10 i had to sit on the back seat with my head at an angle... Would, no doubt, work for some people and they do look good but not for me...

They mentioned them in the contest that they have had a few campers in for other modifications and after seeing the Hilo roofs in those were not impressed. They also mentioned that they used to install SCA roofs and that used to be very good but said that they have had supply/quality issues over the past few years and this was the reason that they have moved to Reimo... I was considering the SCA bed but having been down to CMC I am quite impressed with the Reimo product. Hilo was an outside choice for me as i went to see one and at 5ft10 i had to sit on the back seat with my head at an angle... Would, no doubt, work for some people and they do look good but not for me...
Horses for courses.

Just dont believe everything that a converter who only sells one roof tells you.

Horses for courses.

Just dont believe everything that a converter who only sells one roof tells you.
Agreed! I will definitely be making up my own mind - and will only have myself to hold accountable... :)

Back