Lowering Advice - Ex AA Van

Thanks Steve. Van drives much smoother, less bumps and a definite improvement. Wheels look great thanks. I’m still trying to convince the wife it was worth the money thanks again
Funny that, SWMBO drove my van after it was “CRS’d” and was sold! (Can “to CRS” be a verb?!!!)

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
What was the impulse buy that made the wheels look a treat? Am I going to be tempted?

Yeah , they were all ready to go and I couldn’t resist. Just what I was after. you won’t be disappointed, KONI set up is a big improvement and the van drives lovely now.

Yeah , they were all ready to go and I couldn’t resist. Just what I was after. you won’t be disappointed, KONI set up is a big improvement and the van drives lovely now.

Really? Undeniably the van looks absolutely fantastic but as someone just getting up to speed I looking to buy my first T6 I though the general opinion was lowered suspension and lower profile tires leads to worse ride quality? Can you have both a better looking van and a better driving one?

In my opinion the van drives better. It’s definitely more comfortable over the speed humps,/bumpy roads etc and feels better on the bends. Less roll and under heavy braking it sits better and doesn’t nose dive as much.
Mine is the T32 and changing the suspension/springs has improved the drive for me

Really? Undeniably the van looks absolutely fantastic but as someone just getting up to speed I looking to buy my first T6 I though the general opinion was lowered suspension and lower profile tires leads to worse ride quality? Can you have both a better looking van and a better driving one?
Those comments are generally coming from owners that run lowering springs only and 20 inch wheels WITH Standard shocks ,

Standard shocks cant cope with either so ride is terrible .

I'm booked into CRS tomorrow to get my T32 suspension replaced. I'm expecting the same very positive driving enhancements and visual appeal as CrossyT6 is reporting. I was originally thinking of just going with lowering springs but have seen the error of my ways. I'll let you know how it goes sw25481 and share some before and after pictures.

Those comments are generally coming from owners that run lowering springs only and 20 inch wheels WITH Standard shocks ,

Standard shocks cant cope with either so ride is terrible .

Fabulous. Already budgeting for this as well when I find my van.

Perhaps this seems a naive question from a new member -

but it does beg the question, what are you loosing? Lower profile tire, lowered suspension together give better ride and a great looking van and I can't believe it would hurt fuel economy either. Why did it not come out of the factory like that? Everything is a compromise. What was the compromise that VW was aiming at? Was VW assuming you needed the extra articulation to deal with uneven surfaces so we should be more careful as a result?

Sounds like we have another busy week. Did 17 vans last week , had hoped for a rest this week , look forward to seeing you all .
Sorry that I'm late to this thread but I've only just joined the Forum. I'm based in the NW and looking forward to picking up a new T6.1 in November and already got an advance booking with a company up here to have some upgrades and modifications done including suspension lowering... hopefully 40 - 50mm. Now I see your thread!! The guys that are lined up to do the work sent me some pics of a van they've done recently and from the photos the van is sitting noticeably lower on the passenger side than on the drivers side. Have you come across this before? Is this common with transporters or is it an installation problem?

Sorry that I'm late to this thread but I've only just joined the Forum. I'm based in the NW and looking forward to picking up a new T6.1 in November and already got an advance booking with a company up here to have some upgrades and modifications done including suspension lowering... hopefully 40 - 50mm. Now I see your thread!! The guys that are lined up to do the work sent me some pics of a van they've done recently and from the photos the van is sitting noticeably lower on the passenger side than on the drivers side. Have you come across this before? Is this common with transporters or is it an installation problem?
Hi There , I cant say i have ever seen a van sitting lower one side to the other noticeably of course , photos of vans will never tell you how well they handle and how comfortable they are . we have done almost a thousand vans over the last 2 years and sadly a lot of our work is correcting other peoples work. ???

I would question what equipment they are going to fit and then research that to ensure people like it or hate it , If you let us know? we can tell you what result you should expect .

hope that helps

Hi There , I cant say i have ever seen a van sitting lower one side to the other noticeably of course , photos of vans will never tell you how well they handle and how comfortable they are . we have done almost a thousand vans over the last 2 years and sadly a lot of our work is correcting other peoples work. ???

I would question what equipment they are going to fit and then research that to ensure people like it or hate it , If you let us know? we can tell you what result you should expect .

hope that helps
Brilliant, thanks. I'll try to send you copies of the photos to see what you make of them and in the meantime try to find out what they are planning to fit.

Turned into a bit of a thread hijack, Apologies @Jarp89

Also had my Cali given a suspension upgrade by Steve at CRS today
Koni shocks, new springs and rear anti-roll bar. Dropped 40mm
The difference is outstanding. No more understeer or rolling in corners. Just a smooth comfortable ride.
Its also quieter somehow?
Before & after pic attached to show the drop but for me its all about the ride

20210923_090246.jpg

Turned into a bit of a thread hijack, Apologies @Jarp89

Also had my Cali given a suspension upgrade by Steve at CRS today
Koni shocks, new springs and rear anti-roll bar. Dropped 40mm
The difference is outstanding. No more understeer or rolling in corners. Just a smooth comfortable ride.
Its also quieter somehow?
Before & after pic attached to show the drop but for me its all about the ride

View attachment 131064

Good to meet you today @zooks Your van was looking great! I’ve got mine done. It drives much better now - smoother, easier on the bumps in the road, and like you noticeably quieter! Steve set the suspension drop to take account of the weight we will add when the camper conversion goes in so the back is a little higher than it will be when it’s finished. We had a lot of noise from the back before the upgrade but less afterwards. I took some photos of the wheels before and after but I want to get a full side profile to compare. I didn’t take one today as we still had a few hours driving to do. Thanks @CRS Performance for a great job well done.

hope that helps
The current proposal is for H&R 40mm lowering springs, I assume the existing struts and dampers are to remain.

The current proposal is for H&R 40mm lowering springs, I assume the existing struts and dampers are to remain.
OK . Rarely do H&R springs give the correct result on a camper unless the fitters know what they are doing . generally the van sits too low at the rear and this affects the steering as the rake isnt correct . also the ride quality is also compromised due to the use of standard shocks which are really poor

I can quote you on a recommended set up that will sort everything out and give a fabulous ride . I can supply to the convertor and he can do the job for you and with coaching from us get you a great result
steve

Back