Leisure battery/240 hook up or a portable power pack

ybeandy

100,000 miles
T6 Pro
I have a dilemma and hoping you can help.
I only use my van for camping occasionally and it is a works van mainly.
Do I need a leisure battery and a 240v hook up installed for when we go away (mainly for 1 or 2 nights). Occasionally we will go away for more night or doing the NC500/drive around the UK or would a portable battery be OK (looking at Jackery at present)
Also if we had a pitch with a EHU could I not just put a 16amp to 13amp extension lead on the end of my 20m 16 amp cable and just use the extension block?
So is the leisure battery along with the YSB and 240v points on the van worth the investment

I think the downside of a portable battery pack is the slow recharge time but have a look at some of the posts from @Dellmassive - I think he’s pretty much covered every aspect!

Have a quick look here.....

the problem with the portable units off grid is the recharge time. . .

so they are best charged at home on mains. . . . then used mobile.

if you need to charge them mobile you need solar and lots of driving time. . .

or a remote way to connect to the mains power for a recharge.

next option is to build your own mobile battery box,

and add a dc-dc charger to the van for remote charging off the engine. . .

1683975531938.png1683975541425.png1683975554392.png

then add in a DC-DC to the van:

with quick disconnect cables so that you can just plug it into the van when needed . . . . . .

1683975611063.png1683975622196.png

Maybe portable pack would be best …. No point full solar set up if it’s a work van … not into paying for electric hook up how much would this be these days

I have a dilemma and hoping you can help.
I only use my van for camping occasionally and it is a works van mainly.
Do I need a leisure battery and a 240v hook up installed for when we go away (mainly for 1 or 2 nights). Occasionally we will go away for more night or doing the NC500/drive around the UK or would a portable battery be OK (looking at Jackery at present)
Also if we had a pitch with a EHU could I not just put a 16amp to 13amp extension lead on the end of my 20m 16 amp cable and just use the extension block?
So is the leisure battery along with the YSB and 240v points on the van worth the investment
Hi ybeandy,
You may be sorted now but just in case you're still thinking, here is what we have done versus friends who have a Jackery. For the Jackery, it is portable so you can use it remotely from the van and it seemed to charge okay using a 100kw solar panel. Against it was, it did gradually drain and as other people have pointed out there are long charge times once it does go. It is also, yet another fairly big bit of kit that needs storage. So I would still prefer our set up which is two small leisure batteries mounted under the driver's seat. They charge quickly so only a short journey and they are back up to full charge. They also seem to drain slowly - we ran a small fridge box (ie not a compressor) for three days (switched off at night) without driving anywhere and the battery was still showing 6v. When we had the batteries fitted we also had an EHU installed. We have only used it a few times in three years because we don't go to the sort of places that have hook ups, generally. The pro for an EHU versus an extension is you can be sealed in to your van whereas an extension lead you'd have to have a window or door open, I'm thinking. If I was doing it again, I'd probably still have the EHU done while the batteries were being fitted because it wasn't much extra and gives us another option. For eg if we go to stay somewhere at Chrimbo and indoor space is limited we can park up outside and run a cable to the van. One other thing. I had the connection fitted under the bonnet so there was no need to cut holes in the bodywork. I thought that looked better than having the square black connector hatch on the van. Hope that helps.

Back