Factory Fitted Second Battery

Wezzo

Hi. I’m away now for the second week in my van and it seems my factory fitted second battery under the passenger seat is draining as well as my main battery. I haven’t run the van since arriving. I assumed the second battery was like a leisure battery so am puzzled why the main battery should drain.

I can hear the relay clicking occasionally too. Does this sound right to people?

Every time you open the door or unlock the van the lights come on and the modules power up all of this is being powered by your starter battery not your auxiliary battery.

Your auxiliary battery may be powering other things in the van.

You will need some kind of charging power to keep the starter battery topped up for extended durations even if you're on hook up.

If on hookup most people use a small battery charger linked into the mains to keep the batteries charged

Some people use solar to keep the auxiliary topped up and then use a small reverse charge out to keep the starter battery topped up.

Or if you have a dcdc charger to keep your leisure battery charged you can connect your solar to the starter battery and then let the dcdc charger charge up the auxiliary battery.

More info:

Defo post some pics of your setup and batteries.

Definitely not. How do you know the starter is draining? Do you have a monitor on it? Post some pics of your setup

If you have a Victron blue smart, or similar, which has the connector, plug a lead into this with a cigarette plug and charge the starter battery via the lighter socket in the dash.
Caution:- you need to change the output on the Victron app down to 4amps as I think the cig socket can only safely take 10 amps.
@Dellmassive is this info correct?
I have routed the Victron wire to the LB so that the little plug is outside the front panel of the drivers seat so it’s easy to do a quick change.

This sort of lead

NB this is my plan-I have not yet needed to swap leads so can’t comment on efficacy of this master plan. Lol

If you have a Victron blue smart, or similar, which has the connector, plug a lead into this with a cigarette plug and charge the starter battery via the lighter socket in the dash.
Caution:- you need to change the output on the Victron app down to 4amps as I think the cig socket can only safely take 10 amps.
@Dellmassive is this info correct?
I have routed the Victron wire to the LB so that the little plug is outside the front panel of the drivers seat so it’s easy to do a quick change.

This sort of lead

NB this is my plan-I have not yet needed to swap leads so can’t comment on efficacy of this master plan. Lol
Yes correct

10A is the absolute max.

But above 8A the socket will get very hot and melt.

So if you're using the charger to 12v cab stocket, then set your charger below 8A.

Victron do a quick disconnect lead that's rated an 15A/20A. ( That clips to the battery or has ring terminals for a direct connection)

And if you need more than that then use SB50 Anderson conectors.

Remember all battery connections must be fused.

Both of my cab 12v sockets in my T6.1 (2023) are powered via the factory fitted leisure battery.
This is how it was wired from new.
They aren’t connected to the starter battery; best to double check what they are connected to.
There must be differences between models or year of manufacture (don’t know).

Back