2nd Leisure battery

jm-darcy

Hello everyone.

I was hoping for a little bit of advice if anyone is able to help?

I have a 2018 T6 Reimo conversion from CMC.

100W solar panel bonded to the roof feeding a Victon 75/15 MPPT, a leisure battery under the passenger seat. A Merlin SmartBank Pro 12v Split Charger and a Carbest smart charger for when on hook-up.

I am contemplating adding a second leisure battery under the driver’s seat to take the stress out of longer stays away without hookup and a lack of sun, a constantly running fridge, occasional nightime heating, lights and USB chargers.

I was hoping for some advice on whether adding a second battery was the best course of action given the established design installed in the van? I know that going to Lithium would ultimately be better, but given our use-case, all the rewiring, new lithium-related kit, cost of batteries, etc. I question whether these combined would cost a great deal more compared to adding a second battery. Perhaps I am wrong?

Is it easy to run cables between the seats? Are the Victron, Split charger and Hookup chargers okay to be connected to two-off parallel-wired batteries (noting charging will take twice as long)? I am aware that both batteries need to be the same rating.

I have searched the forum and youtube, but nothing seemed to jump out. Is this a sensible, common and relatively straight forward thing to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.

got any pics of the setup?

yes you can add another battery . . . though normally its recommended to fit two like for like battery's - same make, model, and same SOH.

so basically two NEW battery's would be the way to go.

++

other costs will be fueses, terminal cables to interconect the two. - there is a route under the carpet between the seat bases.

+++

the other option is One 100ah Lifepo4 is equivilent to TWO AGM`S.

lithium is my preference. . . for a multitude of reasons. . they are down to £299 for a basic one these days.

your MPPT charger will be good for it.

you may have to check the EHU charger and DC-DC charger . . . to see if it can do 14.2v or have a lithium profile.

have a look at some seat base setups here:

and lithium battery stuff here:

1706801653555.png1706801694047.png

Back