Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Thogg, was getting late and wondered why nobody else had flagged that up...

50/60/70 then, will just get there quickly with 204ps and 4motion.

The vat comment, I need to spend the rest of the day working that out now, the accountant is on holiday. I only heard from a random chap at the dealers yesterday that it needs to be a T32 with a 1tonne payload on top of the seats to get all the VAT back. I'm starting to think a Kombi for work and the occasional extra workers when required isn't the good deal I thought it was.

Cheers Thogg, was getting late and wondered why nobody else had flagged that up...

50/60/70 then, will just get there quickly with 204ps and 4motion.

The vat comment, I need to spend the rest of the day working that out now, the accountant is on holiday. I only heard from a random chap at the dealers yesterday that it needs to be a T32 with a 1tonne payload on top of the seats to get all the VAT back. I'm starting to think a Kombi for work and the occasional extra workers when required isn't the good deal I thought it was.
Morning... no worries.
I'm afraid I have no idea on the VAT side of it but cause assure you it has no bearing on Con and use regs. I'm pretty sure that both sets of refs share the basic DNA of being a brilliant cure for insomnia though.

In my research you are safe to claim the vat back on a T32 SWB combi DSG as it a payload of 1000kg (1112kg my combi). As i understand it as long as you have the magic ton payload you are fine for a reclaim. I think i am right in saying when you add 4 motion it drops just below the 1000kg (966kg).

Does that then mean that adding 4motion means I can't claim the VAT back? That option becomes slightly more expensive then, by around £7k.

Absolute cure for insomnia all of this, most of my time off has been spent back and forwards to dealers and research / this forum. Would be completely lost without this forum.

Just checked the brochure tech yet again and your right on the payload weights;

SWB Highline Kombi 204ps 6-sp manual 4motion = 986kg
SWB Highline Kombi 204ps DSG 4motion = 966kg

If I want 4motion it can only be a 150ps manual. 1014kg payload.

I cannot have 4motion and DSG by 34kg. Can't VW just make the figures up to make life easier in the short term....

As you say @Radorik its just shy of the 1000kg so in theory the vat is a problem if the vat man decides to be picky when you get a inspection. Its a gamble you could take if you have the money to repay in the future if needs be :unsure:

Just checked the brochure tech yet again and your right on the payload weights;

SWB Highline Kombi 204ps 6-sp manual 4motion = 986kg
SWB Highline Kombi 204ps DSG 4motion = 966kg

If I want 4motion it can only be a 150ps manual. 1014kg payload.

I cannot have 4motion and DSG by 34kg. Can't VW just make the figures up to make life easier in the short term....
I think VW are a little shy on the making things up front these days....

Had a chat with my accountant (didn't realise he was in between new year) and he recons that as long as its a commercial vehicle and not a car the VAT thing isn't a problem. He said there are various tests to be a commercial vehicle, the 1tonne payload being one, but I mentioned the tax class being commercial and he couldn't see a problem. Extra official 10mph isn't worth £7k to me so best this way round really, its commercial, VAT back but 50/60/70 speed limits. Thanks for the help, hope it helps others, waiting on final price from dealer now...

Had a chat with my accountant (didn't realise he was in between new year) and he recons that as long as its a commercial vehicle and not a car the VAT thing isn't a problem. He said there are various tests to be a commercial vehicle, the 1tonne payload being one, but I mentioned the tax class being commercial and he couldn't see a problem. Extra official 10mph isn't worth £7k to me so best this way round really, its commercial, VAT back but 50/60/70 speed limits. Thanks for the help, hope it helps others, waiting on final price from dealer now...
T32 would take you over the one ton threshold?

All the T32 are over the 1tonne except the 4motion 204ps models, both DSG and manual. Attached a grab if it works.

Kombi T6 SWB weights.JPG

What about a T32 LWB 4motion??
Kombi is classed N1 on V5. So it's van speeds due to the weight and commercial vehicle weight sane as T6 panel van (but new registrations after 1 April won't fall into the increased road tax bracket). All M1 versions can do 60/70/70 but if registered after 1Aprul will pay higher road tax.

Kombi is classed N1 on V5. So it's van speeds due to the weight and commercial vehicle weight sane as T6 panel van (but new registrations after 1 April won't fall into the increased road tax bracket). All M1 versions can do 60/70/70 but if registered after 1Aprul will pay higher road tax.
Morning. If you have a look through this whole thread (there is a lot now..) this is all explained. Specifically the dual purpose regulations and when they apply.

@Smiffy & @Gadgets , as @Thogg & @Mojo have suggested, please read the WHOLE thread, as this is detailed very clearly through the life of this particular thread :thumbsup::whistle::whistle: If still in any doubt, shoot one to DVLA with your V5 details, but in the end it's up to YOU to be comfortable in YOUR understandings of this area, as it is potentially YOU facing a possible 6 points. If You have ANY doubts, stick to the LOWER speed limit:thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Not meant to offend, just pointing out that it is ultimately down to YOU :thumbsup:;)

No v5 yet held off for a 1st of march pickup for the new plate, will just give the dvla a ring when I pick it up

@Smiffy At great risk of causing offence you could read the July 2016 brochure. My understanding of what has gone before is that a Kombi LWB T32 4Motion DSG has a load capacity of under 1t so is exempt from VAT refund and as a Kombi (a van) it will be classed as N1 and subject to speed limits of 50/60/70. I hope that is clear enough for you.:sleep:

Last edited:
@Smiffy At great risk of causing offence you could read the July 2016 brochure. My understanding of what has gone before is that a Kombi LWB T32 4Motion DSG has a load capacity of under 1t so is exempt from VAT refund and as a Kombi (a van) it will be classed as N1 and subject to speed limits of 50/60/70. I hope that is clear enough for you.:sleep:
Close... but N1 isn't the procluding factor, the unladen weight will be. I'm pretty sure (from memory) that any LWB DSG is over the 2040kg unladen hence it's out of scope for being dual purpose..

Don't worry it takes a lot to offend me, a forum post won't do it :) It's all rather confusing I think I'll just phone the dvla when I pick it up, I'm not VAT registered so it's more to do with the speed limits, I'll read through all this later again I seem to confuse myself the more I read

"A dual purpose vehicle
is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or"

That's what made got me thinking with the 4motion aspect of it but looking online it's unladen weight is 2297kg so that puts it over anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back