How to drive an automatic?

Cali_on_laughing

T6 Pro
So finally picked up my T6.1 today. Super excited and got in it at the dealer in Newcastle and then planning to jet off back home to north wales.

Problem. Never driven an automatic before #embarrassing. So not to ask the dealer and look like a right tool, thought it can’t be that hard. 10 mins later off I went like some a new person starting to drive the car for the first time! Nervous wreck!

Howver, after 20 mins, Wow, I like automatics. Feels weird with no clutch but lovely drive home.

Bit confused with the difference between Park and neutral? Why do we have two options for no Gears? We still have to put the hand brake on??

Also, can I push it into manual when driving or do I have to stop first (sorry for some many novice questions)

Any other hints and tips! It’s clearly a magnificent piece of engineering! Very clever!
Super happy T owner :)

Park locks the gearbox.

Can't help with your other question I am afraid.

Pete

Glad you like it! You’ve probably mastered it already as, once you’ve stopped reaching for the gear lever to change gear while concentrating on something else, you’ve got it nailed.

I’ve just come from a couple of autos (Mercedes and Range Rover) and bought a manual Transporter, so my thoughts and advice are general and might not be 100% for your van.

Park locks the transmission and might (it did in my last car) apply the handbrake - neutral is just that - out of gear. If you have a switch for your handbrake, I’d stay in the habit of applying it, as a car will often “lurch” a bit if you put it in Park and let off the foot brake, until the transmission locks.

I believe you can put it into manual while driving - most autos I’ve driven then go back into automatic if you’ve not initiated a change for a while - they seem to assume you’ve forgotten you’re in “manual”!

Have you got adaptive cruise control? That is very cool in a manual, and I think it’ll follow the car in front all the way to a standstill in the DSG - please ensure you have it before trying it!

Glad you like it! You’ve probably mastered it already as, once you’ve stopped reaching for the gear lever to change gear while concentrating on something else, you’ve got it nailed.

I’ve just come from a couple of autos (Mercedes and Range Rover) and bought a manual Transporter, so my thoughts and advice are general and might not be 100% for your van.

Park locks the transmission and might (it did in my last car) apply the handbrake - neutral is just that - out of gear. If you have a switch for your handbrake, I’d stay in the habit of applying it, as a car will often “lurch” a bit if you put it in Park and let off the foot brake, until the transmission locks.

I believe you can put it into manual while driving - most autos I’ve driven then go back into automatic if you’ve not initiated a change for a while - they seem to assume you’ve forgotten you’re in “manual”!

Have you got adaptive cruise control? That is very cool in a manual, and I think it’ll follow the car in front all the way to a standstill in the DSG - please ensure you have it before trying it!
Thabk you Alex!! Ok, some handy hints there! Appreciate the jerking one with park! Like Nudging the kids to get ready for school maybe?

Park locks the gearbox and when it’s in park you don’t need the handbrake useful if you have front swivel seats

Neutral it will roll so make sure the handbrake is on

You can push it between drive, sport or manual while driving no need to stop

I don’t think I have sport mode, just automatic and the +- options. Nearly thr blew the bloody engine by playing with it at the traffic lights on way! Went straight into the red rev zone and didn’t know what to do

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Which auto box do you have?

If it's a DSG then keep in mind you do still have clutch plates rather than the torque converter of a traditional auto box.

The basics of driving an auto is:

Bury your left foot somewhere and keep it there, way easier on a t6 as there is a shelf for it. Fight every urge to move that left foot and everything else is easy.

P is for parking up. R is for reverse, D is for forwards. Ignore N and S (if you have untill you need it)

Finally when pulling off from junctions. Leave it in D (forwards) treat the brake pedal like your clutch and release it and allow the van to pull it's self forwards. Then gradually apply throttle.

That's pretty much it.

Congratulations on the new van.

When I first drove an auto the thing that got me was the first few emergency(ish) stops. The muscle memory to press the clutch meant 2 feet on the brake and an even more abrupt stop than intended.

If you have the adaptive cruise control you will love how relaxing it is to drive, though that has a few quirks of its own to learn.

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
And when you have mastered the DSG have a look at the Wilson Preselect Gearbox. Persuading your brain and left foot to work that correctly after being used to a normal manual box is a taxing time. I know, my brother has a car with a Wilson box that I drive VERY occasionally.

On the other hand you could try my car (pictured left) which is of course a manual gear change but has NO synchromesh an any of its four (plus reverse) gears.

As it happens I currently have the occasion to drive any of our three vehicles, the Beetle, a manual T6 and an auto MAN TGE which is not a DSG but a conventional torque converter auto. Brain fog occurs sometimes.

When I first drove an auto the thing that got me was the first few emergency(ish) stops. The muscle memory to press the clutch meant 2 feet on the brake and an even more abrupt stop than intended.
Yup - been there and almost strangled myself with the seatbelt! :oops:

Glad you guys have explained things!
I took my Sportline back the 1st day I got it because when I put it in N for nightmode it didn’t go anywhere but was ok in D for daymode!
You should see the person behind me when I put it in R for racemode!!!!!!

you'll wish you did it years ago.

I had auto's for ages right up to swapping to a T6, every morning driving to work I wish I'd saved up for longer for an Auto. I will of owned it 3 years next month, stalled it this morning driving out of my street. I'll do the same tomorrow.

Back