Think before buy !

Jonesy123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all.

Just wanted to throw some of my experience into the mix for any newbies to the VW experience and those looking to buy their first van.
Modern or classic.

Its a tongue in cheek piece, but there's some truth in it. And you might find it amusing.

Pre pandemic i was tootling along building campers as i have done for 20 years around having a dayjob, keeping my margins low and really making a nice job of things, then during the pandemic I had more emails and phone calls about buying a van in 1 month than I did in two decades.
People were hysterical, I literally saw marriages destroyed over the financial decisions people were making in the blood lust like frenzy that occurred when the government locked everything down and stopped foreign travel.
I know of a guy who spent their life savings (about 42k) on a van as a 'suprise' for his wife.
Guess what. Not married anymore. And he was laid off during the pandemic and had to sell the van.

What happened to buying tents? Why this life altering mania over campers?

Time after time. The emails and calls developed the same pattern and people said the same things by way of making unimaginably bad financial decisions...

"This camper will be the next X years holidays for us"....

"We want to go on an adventure"

"We want to make amazing memories"

"We love 'wild camping' "

this one was my favourite ... like where do you think you'll get thats 'wild' With those low profile tyres, 20" rims, bodykit and your 80mm lowering springs when the potholes on the B&Q carpark scrape your front end.

Ironically the excuses and justifications people would throw up became strap lines for van dealers and the vw culture...who trust me, became pirates....putting 5-10k on vans that last week they couldn't sell at the original price....(and people bought them).... then, customers became like clones,,,,rather than being free spirited individuals expressing themselves, everyone settled for the same as everyone else just because it was there.....a mass hysteria that came from not really knowing anything about campers, and just buying the same as X person because they had done it...so it must be ok.... for example, do you have a massive decal/graphic of a compass and the silhouette of some trees on your your van to show off that you're on an adventure........or the words 'on an adventure'.....??
If you do, put your hand up!...
If you just put your hand up...A) that's weird, you're reading a post.... B) So do 50,000 other campers in the uk.

Camper ownership is fun but expensive....especially if you own anything pre-T5....and this is magnified 1000 fold if its pre 1980.
If you think modern vans are pricey, try finding a garage that knows how to competently strip and rebuild an air-cooled engine and transmission, I can think of about 3 in the UK that I'd trust with my money 100%.
The rest? A Haynes manual and 'ginge' the day release college apprentice will have a pop at it for you.

But try telling that to a 25 year old couple looking to spend grannies inheritance on their 'dream' of traveling in a classic camper.
Its an air cooled 49 bhp engine guys, it will be on fire before you get to junction 5 or the M42.....And easy on the brakes (about as effective as BMX brakes) if you brake too hard, the top might separate from the chassis....sorry... did I say chassis? I meant rust.
this image they have of cruising along in a classic, hippy beads in their hair, meeting cool people also on adventures usually culminates in ending up at the side of the road ringing Dad to send a tow truck, or sleeping in laybys and being woken in the night by the sound of truckers pooing in the bushes.....or worse...(no judgement...driving lorries can be lonely and very stressful) and cars full of stoners blasting drum and bass next to you whilst hurling the remainder of their maccies milkshake up your front window.
Same as camper builds.
I had a customer (sorry Paul.... using you as an example) who bought a 15k van and asked me to fit it out fir him.
Paul is married with triplets (7 years old) and has two golden retrievers.
Paul's plan was to have a van that he could 'create great memories in'.....
Paul wanted cream vinyl, cream gloss evo motion furniture, grey carpets and a full fit out, so microwave, gas oven and hob, 12v tv, everything.

Paul is 6ft 4 and 19 stone.
Mrs Paul is 6ft 1
The triplets are 7 years old but look 23
The dogs are big bouncy retrievers.

You see the issue? its a commercial vehicle sir....not the tardis.... 'Suicidal' was the word I used when he asked what it would be like on a road trip accross Cornwall with the family.

Fact is, however pumped up and excited you are about camper life, you have to look at the practicalities of it, the costs of ownership, insurance, maintenance, ongoing modification. And the realities of uk law and where you can and can't camp
A dealer sells you your dreams, knowing full well the limitations of those in reality. Do your research and give yourself time to think....

And as a man with LOTS of experience with classic campers.....please....just dont buy one....
lets compromise....just buy one of those canvas/prints of a classic camper and a sunset and hang it over your fireplace, so when guests come round they see your modern camper on the drive, then your classic camper picture and think youre a spiritual person with an appreciation for classic vehicles...

Get a van fit for your needs, not what looks cool.

Anyway, till next time.

Last edited:
For many years we have been driving down our beloved M5 toward the south coast and on pretty much every trip we have seen a 'cute' T2 stranded on the hard shoulder.
When I came home from work a couple of years ago to my wife showing me a picture of a nice looking £15K Orange T2 called '(insert cute ladies name)' I was horrified! I reminded her my mechanical skills were on an expected par with someone who plays piano for a living! A lucky escape I feel...
After several months of searching for the ideal van, we settled on our perfect 6.1 in Ascot Grey.
The nice thing with an Ascot Grey is it doesn't need 'decorating', those compasses and mountainscapes just don't look right on an AG. (willing to be proved wrong)!

Lovely post @Jonesy123 , looking forward to many more!

Hi all.

Just wanted to throw some of my experience into the mix for any newbies to the VW experience and those looking to buy their first van.
Modern or classic.

Its a tongue in cheek piece, but there's some truth in it. And you might find it amusing.

Pre pandemic i was tootling along building campers as i have done for 20 years around having a dayjob, keeping my margins low and really making a nice job of things, then during the pandemic I had more emails and phone calls about buying a van in 1 month than I did in two decades.
People were hysterical, I literally saw marriages destroyed over the financial decisions people were making in the blood lust like frenzy that occurred when the government locked everything down and stopped foreign travel.
I know of a guy who spent their life savings (about 42k) on a van as a 'suprise' for his wife.
Guess what. Not married anymore. And he was laid off during the pandemic and had to sell the van.

What happened to buying tents? Why this life altering mania over campers?

Time after time. The emails and calls developed the same pattern and people said the same things by way of making unimaginably bad financial decisions...

"This camper will be the next X years holidays for us"....

"We want to go on an adventure"

"We want to make amazing memories"

"We love 'wild camping' "

this one was my favourite ... like where do you think you'll get thats 'wild' With those low profile tyres, 20" rims, bodykit and your 80mm lowering springs when the potholes on the B&Q carpark scrape your front end.

Ironically the excuses and justifications people would throw up became strap lines for van dealers and the vw culture...who trust me, became pirates....putting 5-10k on vans that last week they couldn't sell at the original price....(and people bought them).... then, customers became like clones,,,,rather than being free spirited individuals expressing themselves, everyone settled for the same as everyone else just because it was there.....a mass hysteria that came from not really knowing anything about campers, and just buying the same as X person because they had done it...so it must be ok.... for example, do you have a massive decal/graphic of a compass and the silhouette of some trees on your your van to show off that you're on an adventure........or the words 'on an adventure'.....??
If you do, put your hand up!...
If you just put your hand up...A) that's weird, you're reading a post.... B) So do 50,000 other campers in the uk.

Camper ownership is fun but expensive....especially if you own anything pre-T5....and this is magnified 1000 fold if its pre 1980.
If you think modern vans are pricey, try finding a garage that knows how to competently strip and rebuild an air-cooled engine and transmission, I can think of about 3 in the UK that I'd trust with my money 100%.
The rest? A Haynes manual and 'ginge' the day release college apprentice will have a pop at it for you.

But try telling that to a 25 year old couple looking to spend grannies inheritance on their 'dream' of traveling in a classic camper.
Its an air cooled 49 bhp engine guys, it will be on fire before you get to junction 5 or the M42.....And easy on the brakes (about as effective as BMX brakes) if you brake too hard, the top might separate from the chassis....sorry... did I say chassis? I meant rust.
this image they have of cruising along in a classic, hippy beads in their hair, meeting cool people also on adventures usually culminates in ending up at the side of the road ringing Dad to send a tow truck, or sleeping in laybys and being woken in the night by the sound of truckers pooing in the bushes.....or worse...(no judgement...driving lorries can be lonely and very stressful) and cars full of stoners blasting drum and bass next to you whilst hurling the remainder of their maccies milkshake up your front window.
Same as camper builds.
I had a customer (sorry Paul.... using you as an example) who bought a 15k van and asked me to fit it out fir him.
Paul is married with triplets (7 years old) and has two golden retrievers.
Paul's plan was to have a van that he could 'create great memories in'.....
Paul wanted cream vinyl, cream gloss evo motion furniture, grey carpets and a full fit out, so microwave, gas oven and hob, 12v tv, everything.

Paul is 6ft 4 and 19 stone.
Mrs Paul is 6ft 1
The triplets are 7 years old but look 23
The dogs are big bouncy retrievers.

You see the issue? its a commercial vehicle sir....not the tardis.... 'Suicidal' was the word I used when he asked what it would be like on a road trip accross Cornwall with the family.

Fact is, however pumped up and excited you are about camper life, you have to look at the practicalities of it, the costs of ownership, insurance, maintenance, ongoing modification. And the realities of uk law and where you can and can't camp
A dealer sells you your dreams, knowing full well the limitations of those in reality. Do your research and give yourself time to think....

And as a man with LOTS of experience with classic campers.....please....just dont buy one....
lets compromise....just buy one of those canvas/prints of a classic camper and a sunset and hang it over your fireplace, so when guests come round they see your modern camper on the drive, then your classic camper picture and think youre a spiritual person with an appreciation for classic vehicles...

Get a van fit for your needs, not what looks cool.

Anyway, till next time.
New favourite post

Had a similar conversation with @VanDamMan and @JOG on Thursday at CRS.

People buy into a dream without understanding whether waking up, freezing, in the middle of the night, needing a wizz and having to trek over the pitch black campsite is really what they want to do.

There are so many out there who take the plunge without considering the implications.

To those looking to go ‘wild’, hire a van and find out if it really is for you. It may be expensive for a few day’s camping, but could save a lot of money and heartache in the long term.

*I don’t camp, I know that it’s not for Mrs RT76, hence having a van equipped to get us where we want to go, as long as there’s a tea shop…

So long as you understand the limitations of a van, it's fine.

Like, a classic isn't going to be fun for a family week long holiday. And a T6 with 2 kids, 2 adults and 2 dogs is just going to end up with massive arguments unless you really get along well.

And if you're of the age where you need to get up to take a leak every 2 hours, well... Consider the options!!

Isle of Skye on an 80mm lowered van with 20" wheels? Maybe reconsider that...

Long weekends away with just 1 or 2 people? Perfect. Longer stays at a campsite, with a big driveway awning for all the extra gubbins? Also great.

Isle of Skye booked for August on 20's!
Not dropped too much though with nice CC2's attached.
I'll be driving up there, the wife's pothole avoidance skills leave a lot to be desired!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Prior to buying our first T6 we "ahem" went down the mildly hippy route by hiring a T2 and going to Latitude festival to "live the dream". Very glad we did that, because whilst Latitude was fun, the experience of the T2 was not. Proper hot day, so no A/C. Van couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, so largely max 50mph on motorway. Almost needed a change of pants first time I used the brakes - because, largely, nothing happened and when it did happen, slewed off the the left. Key broke in the lockable fuel filler. Just dreadful - but at least we knew to go the modern way

Isle of Skye booked for August on 20's!
Not dropped too much though with nice CC2's attached.
I'll be driving up there, the wife's pothole avoidance skills leave a lot to be desired!
You will be fine Wayne.
Drove all around Skye on my 20’s last year. No problems at all.
Although lowering my van is not on my todo list. Yeh it looks great but my vans a camper and lowering it would definitely restrict where I could go in it.
I do a lot of salmon fishing and the tracks down to the river beats are often bumpy or through trees etc.
I’ve managed to get on all these beats with my T5.1 works van no problem so knew I didn’t want a motor home. My T6 goes everywhere even being LWB

I saw an episode of million pound motorhome (or whatever it’s called) and there was a family on there who had sold up to live in a SWB campervan. 2 adults, 2 not so small kids and they plan to live full time in the van. They had sold their house before they had even spent a night in the van. Seemed like it was their first time camping too. Crazy!

Having said that you have to be a bit crazy no matter what flavour of “vanlife” :sick: you choose.

I’ve always camped and think of hotels as work accommodation and flights in the same way so don’t want a package deal and a campervan seemed like a good way of season round camping seeing our beautiful countryside (and pubs) without the hassle of drying a tent. Not looking for a wild camping experience but also not looking for a hi-di-hi site either. Somewhere in between is perfect for me.

Having bought our van and converted it just before lockdown (started after we stayed 1 night away in it) I commiserate all those who bought at the height of the market and congratulate who sold then too. If everyone now stuffs climate change and holidays in Spain again that’s great, I’ll be able to stay on a half decent site without booking 2 years in advance!

Really interesting post and replies. After having dipped into savings that were earmarked "for the future" I've definitely been sat wondering if this was a sensible purchase on more than one occasion!

I turned 40 last year (just a pup on here I reckon :whistle:) and have two young boys, and decided that I'd rather enjoy life while now, especially while they still want to spend time with their old man. :laugh:
Whether I needed to buy a van or not remains to be seen....we do love camping so hopefully I won't be flogging it come the end of the season.

Gosh you are a pup! I was confusing Middle England with middle age and had you down as 65!
We are at potentially the easier end of child rearing, our baby is 17 this year and ditching the parents is her thing!
The van has given us (swmbo and I) something to share, a common interest, and well worth raiding my pension fund for!
Best non investment decision I ever made!
Nipper still wants to do Skye with us, with wife and I 'promoted' to the poptop naturally, and has expressed an interest in a foreign trip next year. Great.

Back