Review: AutoTech Tuning (ECU & DSG remap, EGR blank and Cambelt change)

WilstonJ

I've owned my 2018 VW T6 since new and a couple of years ago I had it converted into a Camper by SurfBus in Clevedon who did a good job. However I wanted to share my recent experience with Fred at AutoTech Tuning. My van has relatively low mileage and has always been serviced by VW (which hasn't always been a good experience) however recently there was a terrible, diesel smell coming from the engine which turned out to be a split EGR pipe. I'm sure the fumes were giving me headaches every-time I drove it, so I decided to get it fixed asap. On top of that it was due a Cambelt change so I decided to get it changed at the same time.

A friend recommended Fred at Autotech Tuning in Weston-super-Mare so I gave him a call. After I explained the situation, Fred recommended blanking the EGR system off and remapping the engine which was something I've had done on previous vehicles but not on the T6. I carried out some research about EGR blanking and there seems to be a difference of opinion online but after speaking with Fred again, he took the time to explain how the EGR system worked and why the engine would be better without it. It made good sense to me so I agreed to give it a try.

So, I booked my van for the full monty - an ECU & Gearbox remap, EGR blank, and a cambelt change! Well, I could not believe the difference when I picked it up! Driving my T6 home was a hoot and that horrible diesel smell was gone! It's like driving a completely different vehicle, it's feel more like a car than van, and I can't wipe this grin off my face every time I drive it. The power delivery is just insane, and it is so much smoother.

The real game-changer, though, was Fred's suggestion to remap the gearbox alongside the engine. I admit, I was skeptical at first. Pre-remap, the van would hurry through gears at lower revs, and Sport mode was a no-go for me, it was horrible to drive. But post-remap, it's a whole new world. The van now cruises through each gear, and in Sport mode, it pulls and pulls!

As for the EGR blanking, it's a thumbs up from me. The van's performance has noticeably improved without it. A huge shoutout to Fred and the Autotech team for not only their top-notch work but also taking the time to walk me through everything. Thanks to them, I love driving my T6 all over again.

The only downside is, i'm already looking at replacing the suspension with coilovers so that it looks and handles much better! Any recommendations would be appreciated?

IMG_6179.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

WilstonJ

Thank you so Much for the review and the time you taken to spend with me to get the best for your Driving style and look forward to the next time fitting the suspension kit so when your ready give me a call.
All the best Fred.
Autotech Tuning

I’m having a follow up with Fred on my mapping very soon. Been happy since it was done 10ish months ago. But thanks to Fred’s suggestion, we’re going to revisit to ensure it’s all optimised.

As for suspension I’m sure everyone who has a chosen product they will praise their choice, but if you want to try out the STXA fitted back in the Summer, you’re more than welcome assuming you’re in the Weston area. Could have gone with a couple of choices and had a slightly different nuance but these are doing a good job having done circa 10,000 since the summer.

DSG map was optimised this morning by Fred. Gear selection is more aligned to driving style and vans engine map. Very happy with the result. Only issue is that I should have given the feedback to Fred sooner. Great quick service.

DSG map was optimised this morning by Fred. Gear selection is more aligned to driving style and vans engine map. Very happy with the result. Only issue is that I should have given the feedback to Fred sooner. Great quick service.
Thank you for your feed back very happy to help

I just had my t6 ecu and dsg remap done by Fred. Very happy with the result, and such a nice guy. More power, more torque and now very smooth gear changes. I think im getting slightly better mpg but I haven't been driving as sensible as I normally do to tell since I've had the extra power to play with ha! Thanks Fred

I just had my t6 ecu and dsg remap done by Fred. Very happy with the result, and such a nice guy. More power, more torque and now very smooth gear changes. I think im getting slightly better mpg but I haven't been driving as sensible as I normally do to tell since I've had the extra power to play with ha! Thanks Fred
Thank you for the great feed back.

I've owned my 2018 VW T6 since new and a couple of years ago I had it converted into a Camper by SurfBus in Clevedon who did a good job. However I wanted to share my recent experience with Fred at AutoTech Tuning. My van has relatively low mileage and has always been serviced by VW (which hasn't always been a good experience) however recently there was a terrible, diesel smell coming from the engine which turned out to be a split EGR pipe. I'm sure the fumes were giving me headaches every-time I drove it, so I decided to get it fixed asap. On top of that it was due a Cambelt change so I decided to get it changed at the same time.

A friend recommended Fred at Autotech Tuning in Weston-super-Mare so I gave him a call. After I explained the situation, Fred recommended blanking the EGR system off and remapping the engine which was something I've had done on previous vehicles but not on the T6. I carried out some research about EGR blanking and there seems to be a difference of opinion online but after speaking with Fred again, he took the time to explain how the EGR system worked and why the engine would be better without it. It made good sense to me so I agreed to give it a try.

So, I booked my van for the full monty - an ECU & Gearbox remap, EGR blank, and a cambelt change! Well, I could not believe the difference when I picked it up! Driving my T6 home was a hoot and that horrible diesel smell was gone! It's like driving a completely different vehicle, it's feel more like a car than van, and I can't wipe this grin off my face every time I drive it. The power delivery is just insane, and it is so much smoother.

The real game-changer, though, was Fred's suggestion to remap the gearbox alongside the engine. I admit, I was skeptical at first. Pre-remap, the van would hurry through gears at lower revs, and Sport mode was a no-go for me, it was horrible to drive. But post-remap, it's a whole new world. The van now cruises through each gear, and in Sport mode, it pulls and pulls!

As for the EGR blanking, it's a thumbs up from me. The van's performance has noticeably improved without it. A huge shoutout to Fred and the Autotech team for not only their top-notch work but also taking the time to walk me through everything. Thanks to them, I love driving my T6 all over again.

The only downside is, i'm already looking at replacing the suspension with coilovers so that it looks and handles much better! Any recommendations would be appreciated?

View attachment 226265
You are closest to @The Van Cave who do a wide range of options and are a well respected member of the forum.

Speaking of which, welcome to the forum!

Back