ok can you give me price and list and I will be happy to purchase them from you.
I'm only going to replace the head unit at this stage.. I may come to you for reverse camera speakers amps fitted etc at a later stage but for now I just need the apple car play working and of course, my rear existing rear sensors and parking pilot to be working.. and im guessing that should be within my ability to do myself

I’ve sent a pm...

The parts will allow it all to work and we can give you all the tips on how to install it and will work straight away with your parking sensors

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input, I thought I might as well just use the usb for CarPlay that way my phone will be on charge at the same time. Fitted my reverse camera today, I can see why these cost so much to fit, took me 3 hrs!! Thanks for the info on the gps aerial, can I just ask do I connect the standard aerial adapter to this blue wire on the harness, pic attached?
Also I do not have controls on my steering wheel but got a steering wheel rc included in the harness, is it ok to still fit this as you have kindly soldered all the harness together for me so it’s just plug and play!
Thanks again
Andy

73E02527-0802-4E47-BD29-AAD1F97536B4.jpeg

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input, I thought I might as well just use the usb for CarPlay that way my phone will be on charge at the same time. Fitted my reverse camera today, I can see why these cost so much to fit, took me 3 hrs!! Thanks for the info on the gps aerial, can I just ask do I connect the standard aerial adapter to this blue wire on the harness, pic attached?
Also I do not have controls on my steering wheel but got a steering wheel rc included in the harness, is it ok to still fit this as you have kindly soldered all the harness together for me so it’s just plug and play!
Thanks again
Andy

View attachment 53746

By looking at that picture that blue wire attaches to the blue/yellow of the Kenwood for the steering wheel

You connect the fm adapters blue wire to either the blue/white or blue in the Kenwoods own harness

Hope that makes sense

Hi Jason,
Traced it back and it does go to the blue/white in the kenwood harness.
I assume I can still use the steering wheel rc adapter aswell.

As with the fascia kit, how does that go on, it comes with some metal plates?
Thanks again

Andy

Hi Jason,
Traced it back and it does go to the blue/white in the kenwood harness.
I assume I can still use the steering wheel rc adapter aswell.

As with the fascia kit, how does that go on, it comes with some metal plates?
Thanks again

Andy

Yes connect the blue to blue/yellow

Remove the outer metal cage and outer front trim from the head unit, and throw it away or put back in box,

Screw the metal plates to the facia trim, with the 4 small counter sunk screws, then slide it over the head unit until it looks flush and straight and use the supplied screws to screw the plates to the side

Thanks Jason,

Got it all in yesterday, everything working fine. CarPlay was working wireless and via usb. Today after 5mins of driving the head unit is saying connect the speed sensor wire, any ideas why this has come up? Pic attached.
CarPlay is still working when connected via usb
Thanks again for all your help

Andy

D358D73C-42FB-41A0-803B-D725D43737CE.jpeg

Thanks Jason,

Got it all in yesterday, everything working fine. CarPlay was working wireless and via usb. Today after 5mins of driving the head unit is saying connect the speed sensor wire, any ideas why this has come up? Pic attached.
CarPlay is still working when connected via usb
Thanks again for all your help

Andy

View attachment 53886

Check to see if the pink wire (long wire with white resistor) is plugged into harness, if so then unfortunately it will need moving to the speed pulse wire which is located behind the speedo cluster, sometimes this happens

I can send you instructions and pics on how to do it...

Thanks Jason, hopefully it’s just a loose connection as don’t fancy taking the speedo cluster out, that sounds like a mission.
It also is not displaying the outside temperature like the old unit and there was a connector block spare when everything was connected in. The spare connector block is square with 4 small terminals in it which connected to the original head unit, is this notmal or have I missed something
Thanks

Andy

Is it a cream/brown colour plug, if so it’s the old usb

It’s not that hard to remove the cluster

Hi Jason,

Yes you are correct, it is a cream/brown plug. The pink wire is fitted in the harness and hasn’t just come loose :-(
Suppose I need to get my soldering iron out then and take the cluster out. Can you send me photos/ instructions on how to do it please?
Also any idea why the outside temp is not coming up on the head unit, or does it not have that function on the unit
Thanks

Andy

Installed! wusHGRj7RBC05Wxwum2NnA.jpg I've not connected everything yet .. the speed wire is not done, usb not completed, and the GPS aerial that came with the new unit is not connected ( it got dark too soon )LOL but the van still goes and does everything and more than it did with the original shity head unit so I'm very happy.. will finish off the rest of the wiring tomorrow.

Hi Jason,

Yes you are correct, it is a cream/brown plug. The pink wire is fitted in the harness and hasn’t just come loose :-(
Suppose I need to get my soldering iron out then and take the cluster out. Can you send me photos/ instructions on how to do it please?
Also any idea why the outside temp is not coming up on the head unit, or does it not have that function on the unit
Thanks

Andy
You can use a CAN interface to save taking the clocks out, I did on mine and it was nice and easy :thumbsup:

The CanBus interfaces are not always 100% reliable for the speed pulse, hence why you have this error messge

I think he had the error as it wasn't connected to anything?

Hi,
The speed sensor wire was connected to the harness absolute provided. It worked for a day then the error come up. I took the head unit back out to check if it was a loose connection but it was still fully connected. Going to connect it to the speed pulse wire behind the clocks this weekend.
Got to say when you buy off Jason he is always on hand for queries, advice and tutorials of how to do things. Top man

Ah that's a bugger! Was that through a can interface that's not longer working then? Interesting to know :thumbsup:

Good luck on getting it solved this weekend! :cool:

The speed pulse on these Kenwoods is super sensitive, direct connection is best

That was just connecting up all the accessories Absolute5 sent me. They pre soldered the wiring harness together so I literally just plugged it into the head unit and into the van
Andy

OK ... so..... I've found my kenwood 9190dabs a little buggy so looked for a firmware/software update and sure enough there is a recent one that improves apple car play etc etc
so I've downloaded the correct version formatted a usb stick done all the correct process and the f**kin thing has bricked my unit.. it did the initial update then goes to restart to finish updating and then claims it cannot read the usb stick and restarts again over and over in a loop . Anyone else out there updated to the latest firmware without problems ? UPDATE. fixed it using a second usb stick with the same software on it ... can only guess the first stick was dodgy .. odd though as I’ve used it for some pretty major software in the past such as Mac operating system install etc and had no issues ... anyway I guess it was just sent to test me !

Last edited:
Back