Poor signal reversing camera

zippy1148

I have just bought a 2015 T28 Transporter, Highline spec that has 2 rear doors and a reversing camera above the number plate, near the door lock.
When I engage reverse the camera comes on, but the picture is poor/distorted and flickers, like interference418328350_1478992619628318_4906321212813693810_n.jpg.
It appears to get worse then after about 20secs I lose the picture and signal all together.
When I try again the next day, same thing. (it comes on with bad picture, then loses signal).
Any ideas? (camera, head unit, wiring- and if so where to check?)
thanks418309882_1402415093999709_5010508358763045788_n.jpg418218747_325852826610573_148971949164612856_n.jpg

They all do that on the aftermarket cameras.

You'll find it works fine when the engine isn't running. It's due to the reverse lights not getting a clean 12v signal due to the bcm sending a pulse signal to the lights. Your choices are fitting a relay, but will require a 12v wire to be present or a new one run to the relay. Or you can fit a filter that doesn't require a 12v feed. The relay is the preferred way to do it.

Just double check it works ok with only the ignition on

They all do that on the aftermarket cameras.

You'll find it works fine when the engine isn't running. It's due to the reverse lights not getting a clean 12v signal due to the bcm sending a pulse signal to the lights. Your choices are fitting a relay, but will require a 12v wire to be present or a new one run to the relay. Or you can fit a filter that doesn't require a 12v feed. The relay is the preferred way to do it.

Just double check it works ok with only the ignition on
I didn't realise it was an aftermarket camera?
And - it behaves exactly the same way with only the ignition on, and not starting the engine up!

I didn't realise it was an aftermarket camera?
And - it behaves exactly the same way with only the ignition on, and not starting the engine up!
Looks like an aftermarket stereo too. Usually if it's a power issue it works ok when engine is off.

I would pop on the filter as it's a cheap and easy thing to try.

I've ordered one. Guess I have to remove inside rear door trim (any pitfalls?) and put it inline before the camera.?
You might not need to remove the trim. All depends how it's been installed. I know when I fitted my own camera, all my connections are made at the body side. I would pull the taillight off and pull the rubber tubing off the body to have a peek for any wiring that's been done. Once you can see where they have picked up the camera feed from, then you would remove it and pop the filter input wire there and the filter output wire to the camera wire you just removed.

OK thanks will try that but I don't understand why even with the ignition off the signal deterates over about 10 secs then goes off completely. That doesn't sound like interference. Also if it was interference, wouldn't have the fault shown since installation?

You could locate where they have picked up the reverse camera feed from(more than likely the light cluster) and disconnect the wire and connect a power feed using a jump lead or wire to the camera direct from the battery and see what happens. If it's perfect, then a filter or relay will work. If you still have issues putting a direct feed to it, then I'd think it'll be the video cable.

Back