T6 Reversing Camera

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a t6 2016 shuttle which has been fitted with a later discover head unit. When I did the conversion to camper I ran an aftermarket Co ax cable with single core cable from the tailgate to the back of the dash.
I'm at the stage now when I'd like to install a reverse camera. It currently has park pilot.
My questions are
Will the unit need coding for a camera to work ie can I do the install
Have I run enough cables from front to rear
Are adaptors available for connection to the head unit
Recommendations for a rear camera for tailgate
Thanks in advance

Will the unit need coding for a camera to work - Yes

Have I run enough cables from front to rear - No idea, depends on how much cable you have run

Are adaptors available for connection to the head unit - Yes

Recommendations for a rear camera for tailgate - Connects2 CAM53, cheap and functional if you just want an image and uses single yellow RCA for image to screen.

Thanks @Craig - my cable question was a bit ambiguous! I know it's long enough! It was if a co ax with phono plugs and a single core live was sufficient

Thanks @Craig - my cable question was a bit ambiguous! I know it's long enough! It was if a co ax with phono plugs and a single core live was sufficient
Single yellow RCA and single wire will be sufficient for sure. You can access the reverse trigger for the camera live either at the rear of the van or B-pillar as the 2 most convenient locations but seeing as you'll be keeping the OEM screen then I'd get the live at the rear just to keep it simple.

I put the Kenwood CMOS 230 camera on my tailgate a couple of years ago, it has been very good and reliable. Only about £70, I didn’t see any point putting something cheap on there as it would be a lot of aggro to change it again in future.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Will a T6 reversing camera work on a VW510 radio unit, I have enabled reversing mode to the unit and I need to connect the camera if possible?

On my T5.1 I upgraded from RNS510 to Discover media and had to change the camera as RNS uses RGB camera and not composite video like T6.

@Craig. Will the Connects2 CAM53 work with the standard 6.5” unit in a T6.1? I can’t seem to find the maximum resolution it can accept?

Back