GPS Tracker, self fit....any good?

Oh and don't forget to put the plastic locking bits and the black plastic slide on cover on the fusebox before you screw it back into position and refit all the dash plastics, because you will kick yourself when you find it on the floor just when you thought you were finished.:whistle:

Oh and don't forget to put the plastic locking bits and the black plastic slide on cover on the fusebox before you screw it back into position and refit all the dash plastics, because you will kick yourself when you find it on the floor just when you thought you were finished.:whistle:
I did exactly this!!
I kicked the rear cover on the floor just as I was starting to put the panels back on.

Thanks @Grim Reaper and @Ukfozzybear ...most helpful, although reading it sounds a bit daunting...im sure it will all make sense in due course. Im not sure im THAT confident in adding a new fuse way so maybe just a flying fuse:confused:
Where did you end up siting the tracker out of interest?
Thanks guys.

Hi @Grim Reaper, I guess that
This is the one I've fitted to my latest car.
The 'cut off fuel' bit of it isn't exactly a relay contact (if you were expecting continuity on the two wires then you'll be disappointed), instead it's more of a MOSFET circuit, ie it detects voltage on one side and replicates it on the other, until you send it a text and it stops outputting the voltage on the other side. I have it wired into my fuel pump feed.
It has a 5th wire which can be connected to a switched live (accessory) so it can send you a text if that wire goes live.
Hi @Grim Reaper, just checking the SIM card size for this tracker...I guess it is the tiny nano sim?

cheers

I think it is, most sims come as 3 way types where you break off the layers you don’t need. I had no issues with whatever they sent.
I have a spare in the garage somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it and confirm.

Confirm nano sim is the correct size.

Last edited:
No problem, I'd recommend getting an ASDA mobile PAYG sim in the meantime so you can get that side of things sorted out before it arrives.
Are you fitting it to the van? Diesel or Petrol? Are you going to make use of the cut off / on feature? You'll need to think about which circuit you are going to use for that and where you are going to mount the relay in the van (it needs to be somewhere where it can see the sky to get GPS reception, under plastic is OK but no metal between it and the satellites.
Are you competent to add fuses to fusebox wiring for permanent and switched live feeds?
Hi @Grim Reaper....just looking at getting a PAYG sim for my tracker...out of interest what quantity of data do they use?

They don’t use data, they text you back with a google maps link.
To be honest, unless you plan to track constantly, you will be better off just getting a PAYG sim, not a monthly plan one, I use asda mobile in all mine, a £30 top up can last a couple of years, 8p a text equals 375 tracking requests, I send one a month to keep the sim alive and check it is working ok, you really only need the tracking to work when / if anything goes wrong so why pay for 24 hour tracking?

Ah ok, get you now thanks. Ill do that..wasn't sure how they operate...learning so much here....I've got my local vehicle electronics guy who knows what he's doing to come and connect it up for a good price so its done properly....ill let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help thus far, really appreciate it.

Mine cheap MiCODUS tracker uses data. It can text you google location links and upload tracking data to MiCODUS www site.

I see that Aldi will be having the Streetwize Tracker in the Isle of Sh1te soon at £40. For a 'non-contract' GPS tracker, I reckon that's a bargain if mine is anything to go by.
PS. Just googled and see you can get them for £45 anyway (but I'd still recommend one!).

Last edited:
Hey @Ukfozzybear and @Grim Reaper, so had the Micodus Tracker fitted today by my local guy ,Wallis Vehicle Electronics, who I can recommend to any other local readers.
Just wanting to check I have set it up correctly on my iPhone....I've set the geo fence up and added all my relevant details .....when I go into the app it zooms in correctly on the location...when I tap on 'Track' a window appears showing more info..i.e. connection = online... a red 'stop'box at the top of the window....battery network etc...ACC;off,disarm.......mileage, now this keeps changing as im typing this....is that correct, seems a bit weird? also the box which is the Red 'stop' box has just changed to 'moving' and gone green (my van is still defo here by the way, in the garage..)...hopefully just teething troubles. Jus wondering if I need to do any more configuring?
Cheers guys.

PS...I see its used 3p from my Gift Gaff credit..is there a way I can check if everything is working ok otherwise?
cheers

I don't use the app, I just send it a text when I want to check its location.
The reason it shows as moving may be due to satellite movement, ie as the unit sees GPS satellites come in and out of view it updates its location with whatever is available, more satellites seen = more accurate positioning, this is why its a good idea not to set the geofencing or move limits to too small an area, positioning errors can 'move' the van outside of its fence.

Photo of mine below.

stop means it’s stopped and not moving.

what keep changing?
If the stopped keep changing I would suggest your gps isn’t getting a good signal and is thinking your van is moving. Mine has six gps sats and hardly ever has gps issues.

C7F983B6-AF88-427D-9EC7-211FCC6B3DED.jpeg

I don't use the app, I just send it a text when I want to check its location.
The reason it shows as moving may be due to satellite movement, ie as the unit sees GPS satellites come in and out of view it updates its location with whatever is available, more satellites seen = more accurate positioning, this is why its a good idea not to set the geofencing or move limits to too small an area, positioning errors can 'move' the van outside of its fence.
ahh..ok...what kind of text do you send it...I know that such a dim awful question and yes I did go to school when I was younger :eek:....I see your point about the satellites.
The van is in the garage and the tracker is behind a load of plastic so I guess there are barriers betwix.
Photo of mine below.

stop means it’s stopped and not moving.

what keep changing?
If the stopped keep changing I would suggest your gps isn’t getting a good signal and is thinking your van is moving. Mine has six gps sats and hardly ever has gps issues.

View attachment 105283
It just seems to be flittng in and out of stop/start so I guess it may just be settling down maybe...and getting the sat signals.
Ill give it a few days to settle and get used to it although I won't be taking it anywhere until next Monday so ill try it out then.

It may need to be mounted in a different location depending on how many sats it gets. See how it goes.
when it’s “moving” is acc on(according to the app)?

Which one did you get? The mv720 or 730?

for a google link text the sim “where” and it will send a link back.

Back