GPS Tracker, self fit....any good?

Anyone know if a data only sim will work with the mv720 via the app?

Last edited:
Hi all.
A new and very green owner of a 2016 T6 Shuttle here, please take it easy with me but feel free to send honest banter this way .
I’ve placed an Apple Airtag in the van for about a week now and it seems to let me know where the van is, accurately.
For those who don’t know how they work, they are battery powered but with no SIM card (so no subscription) and rely on the far reaching network of Apple products to relay its location via Bluetooth initially and then through the cellular networks to your device (iPhone, iPad, I believe it works/will be updated to work with Android too), for you to track it down.
Now, I’ve only tested it in around the city I live in and all is fine. Does anyone have more experience of the Airtag in your vehicle where further distances apply?

Hi all.
A new and very green owner of a 2016 T6 Shuttle here, please take it easy with me but feel free to send honest banter this way .
I’ve placed an Apple Airtag in the van for about a week now and it seems to let me know where the van is, accurately.
For those who don’t know how they work, they are battery powered but with no SIM card (so no subscription) and rely on the far reaching network of Apple products to relay its location via Bluetooth initially and then through the cellular networks to your device (iPhone, iPad, I believe it works/will be updated to work with Android too), for you to track it down.
Now, I’ve only tested it in around the city I live in and all is fine. Does anyone have more experience of the Airtag in your vehicle where further distances apply?
How are you finding the battery life of the Apple air tag? Seems like a cheap and decent option if the battery is ok and it can be hidden well enough.

How are you finding the battery life of the Apple air tag? Seems like a cheap and decent option if the battery is ok and it can be hidden well enough.
Hi Calps82. It still works perfectly, I go out in the wilds with the dog and the van is left in unfamiliar places and I check on it through the “Find My” app on my phone. Have yet to test it if the van was stolen but it gives an accurate position of wherever the Tag/van is.
I believe Apple stated the battery for their Airtags needs replacing annually as a guide, I’m guessing it’ll let me know when it needs a replacement.

I am not getting notification on my MiCODUS app when ACC is on. It is displayed in the box window ok but not getting any notification whatever commands I am sending. Arm by ACC etc. Nothing works.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

I am not getting notification on my MiCODUS app when ACC is on. It is displayed in the box window ok but not getting any notification whatever commands I am sending. Arm by ACC etc. Nothing works.
Try messaging @Ukfozzybear , he was a great help when I was setting mine up.

Hi Calps82. It still works perfectly, I go out in the wilds with the dog and the van is left in unfamiliar places and I check on it through the “Find My” app on my phone. Have yet to test it if the van was stolen but it gives an accurate position of wherever the Tag/van is.
I believe Apple stated the battery for their Airtags needs replacing annually as a guide, I’m guessing it’ll let me know when it needs a replacement.
This is all good until there is no apple devices near by, your van airtag location will be accurate as your phone will relay the last location of that tag.

The best test is to turn you phone off, head out without any apple devices (i.e. apple watch cellular or a family member with an apple device) and get a good distance away before turning your phone on (500m plus). you then rely on someone with an apple device passing by and the airtag relaying it's location through their device.

btw i'm not saying the tag is useless i'm saying it needs a apple device to see it. once the apple device sees the location and relays this to the apple network. this will give you a more true feeling for how well the airtag works.

which model of device?

did you send the admin command to the device?
you need to do this to register your mobile number as the admin number to talk to.

So what happens if you loose the van (it gets nicked) then you would need to have your phone nearby or any apple phone?

So what happens if you loose the van (it gets nicked) then you would need to have your phone nearby or any apple phone?
Yes, the airtag needs to be seen by an apple device (with cellular connection - iWatch, iPhone, etc) and within bluetooth range (so about 20-25m max) it then sends the airtag ID and GPS location of the device that sees the airtag to the Apple network.
They have also developed an app for Android, it all relies on devices seeing the tag and having a data connection at that time.
ok for a busy city/town, elsewhere you'll be out of luck. Bluetooth range and short time frames of a moving vehicle wouldn't allow the devices to handshake quick enough and to relay the location.
If you've had bluetooth headphones and linked them to your phone, you'll have an idea of how long it takes for a bluetooth connection to establish and work including the distances it starts to fail. A tag hidden in a metal box will have a smaller range than that of a tag near a window or out in the open.

Again please don't think i'm having a go a airtag's, they have a time and a place.

GPS tracking is so cheap now, devices aren't costly and contract costs are tiny. Mine costs £5 per month (I could go less if I wanted to on PAYG contract) and I have the ability to turn off the van's electrics at less than 8mph remotely with a constantly updated GPS location.

So you have to hope the thief has an iPhone and/or leaves the van to cool off in a city where people walk past slowly. Awesome. :D

Amy tracker in the UK that doesn't get glonass and only 6 GPS and has only 19% signal is not well placed.

So you have to hope the thief has an iPhone and/or leaves the van to cool off in a city where people walk past slowly. Awesome. :D

Amy tracker in the UK that doesn't get glonass and only 6 GPS and has only 19% signal is not well placed.
Exactly.

Still better than a 20m Bluetooth device ;)

This is all good until there is no apple devices near by, your van airtag location will be accurate as your phone will relay the last location of that tag.

The best test is to turn you phone off, head out without any apple devices (i.e. apple watch cellular or a family member with an apple device) and get a good distance away before turning your phone on (500m plus). you then rely on someone with an apple device passing by and the airtag relaying it's location through their device.

btw i'm not saying the tag is useless i'm saying it needs a apple device to see it. once the apple device sees the location and relays this to the apple network. this will give you a more true feeling for how well the airtag works.

Yep, see my post from 8th May ^ explaining just that.

If you want a super simple GPS tracker may be worth looking at a Vodaphone Curve..

From the Vodaphone website N.B reduced from £30 up front cost

Curve | The Smart GPS Tracker​

An award winning, stylish and versatile smart GPS tracker that can be attached to almost anything
£15
Upfront device cost

+Separate Vodafone Smart Sim subscription required:
£3
monthly for a minimum of 24 months
£6 monthly with no minimum contract

It uses a SIM card and Vodaphone app / network so will be pretty ok coverage.
Just hide a 12v usb adapter and hook the cable to charge the curve and hide the whole lot in a van.

Back