Renogy DCC50S + 100Ah Smart Lithium Install

Rapt0rUK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have a general build thread in the works (Our T6 build journey...complete beginners!) but starting a separate thread for the electrics so that people can tell me in one place if i'm going to set my van on fire.

After much research and deliberation we decided to go the lithium route with our build, you can read why here: Lithium Lifepo4 12v Batteries - - - Time For An Upgrade ? - - -.

Thanks to the heads up by @Dellmassive we got a good deal on a Renogy battery (12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery) £639 and also went for the Renogy DCC50S for the reasons outlined in the same thread (re: low temp protection all in one box).

So onto the install, never done anything like this before and hadn't been near electrics (aside of a car stereo) since science at school so had a lot to learn and still do!

Useful reading for anyone attempting are the various 'How i done it' threads from Dell, you can find them all here: Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

In addition I followed Martyn's (@travelvolts ) guide on how to get from cab to starter battery with a heavy gauge cable etc. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d959f6_3ed319f968954720a73c38807b437278.pdf

Aside of the battery and charger I forked out on a bit of kit as I imagine i'll be needing it in the future anyway...here's the list:

- USB Charger Voltage Meter - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XR82PCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Lug Crimp Terminals - KANOSON 60pcs Crimp Connectors,Bolt Hole Tinned Copper Terminals Set with Storage Box- Electrical Connectors Crimp Terminals Cable Lugs Battery SC Wire Ring Connectors for Marine, Automotive,Electric: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
- Wire Cutters/crimps/strippers - Wire Stripper, DANIU Stripper Cutter AWG10-24 Compound Automatic Wire Stripper Plier 3-in-1 Hand Tool Self-Adjusting Cable Stripper, Wire Cutter and T
- Heat shrink tube - Yakamoz 150pcs 2:1 Polyolefin H-Type Heat Shrink Tubing Tube 8 Sizes Sleeving Wire Cable Kit with Case – Black/Red: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
- Cable crimping tool (one of the few places that had it in stock) - Draper Battery Terminal Crimping Tool
- 12 way earth block - 8-Way Earth Block
- Wiring kit from @travelvolts - DC-DC charger Wiring kit XL. | travelvolts
- 12 gang fuse Box - 12 way fuse box with negative rail. | travelvolts

It's not the exhaustive list of everything you'll need (i already had a heat gun, multimeter and various other tools)

So first off was to get the thick red cable from the wiring kit through from the cab to the engine bay, I followed the @travelvolts CTEK installation guide for this which was invaluable in terms of located the correct grommet etc.

It's fair to say this was a pain in the ass, the guide assumes you have a rubber matting floor which i think might have been easier but with carpet, not so much.... You remove the end panel of the dash, glove box and fuse box cover (all covered in the guide) and then look up in the corner under the sound deadening and there's the grommet. It was a bit trickier to get at for me as i have drains that run out in exactly that spot for the Hilo roof (fitted by Viper Tech in Salford Quays along with the windows) but got there in the end. I also had to take both passenger and drivers seat out to get enough carpet up to work with.

20200530_120114.jpg

20200530_120126.jpg

Pushed the cable through, connected up to the fused part of cable that comes in the Travelvolts cable kit and then just left it there for the time being.

Back into the van it was time to run the cable from the passenger footwell to the drivers seat, again followed the guide but with carpet this was pretty hard work without taking the carpet out completely. Getting the cable through the black cable tunnel and out the hole on the far was fiddly, i ended up having to pull up the cable tunnel on the near side and push it across. With a bit of perseverance got there in the end, also ran an ignition live cable (from the fuse box) at the same time (from the Travelvolts kit) and tie-wrapped both cables to the existing cable runs.

The wiring kit comes with a piggy bag adapter to easily connect the IGN live to the front of the fuse box and avoid taking the whole thing out.

20200530_120109.jpg20200530_120112.jpg
After connecting the IGN cable to the fuse box I used the multimeter to check the slot was indeed dead until the IGN was on, all good.

Battery, battery charger, fuse box and ignition live feed all need a ground point so had to work out the best way to do that... after some digging i spotted a ground point under the driver seat where the cables are routed under the carpet.

20200530_184947.jpg

So using an earth block, some spare cable from the wiring kit, the crimp lugs, heat shrink etc. i made a cable and brought a more accessible ground feed out to under the seat. This is the bit i wasn't sure is good practice (@Dellmassive legit solution?)

20200530_184837.jpg20200530_184953.jpg

Next up i had to find a way to secure the battery and battery charger. Using some of the holes in the seat base, a piece of timber and some simple L brackets, I fashioned a brace/support bar.

20200531_120351.jpg

20200531_120759.jpg

Just happened to be the perfect distance form the front of the seat to hang the Renogy box and be able to see the display under the front of the seat.

20200531_121000.jpg

Next was a case of running all the relevant wires from Renogy box to battery etc. IGN live from fusebox to Renogy box. The Renogy box comes with a 2 core IGN feed cable which is tricky to deal with as there was no obvious common ground at the fuse box end so instead, I used the single IGN live cable that came with the TravelVolts kit to run the +ve and then a spare bit of cable to run a -ve feed to the earth block.

I added some padding (leftover dodo thermo liner) to the wood baton and the battery fits up against it very snugly

20200531_122727.jpg

20200531_145026.jpg

I also added a thin piece of ply to the back to seal up the hole under the seat, give the battery something to brace against on the other side and give me somewhere to attach the fuse box (with sticky foam pads for now). I only have lights in there for now so fuse box feels OK there but i imagine when i add more appliances and some furniture i may well relocate the fuse box out of there into somewhere more accessible.

When i had the Hilo roof fitted we had some spots fitted in the roof and the cables were run down to the drivers seat, so I added some crimps to the cables (from the Travelvolts 12 gang fuse box kit, it comes with a selection of crimps and fuses) and wired them into the fuse box with 5amp fuses.

20200531_145021.jpg

So I have the -ve from the battery, the charger, the IGN live feed and the fuse box all going to the common ground earth block I created (@Dellmassive good practice or not??)

The battery doesn't move anywhere but i do need to create some more braces on the right side to stop any possible left/right movement.

I screwed the earth block to a piece of timber and attempted to use that as a brace for the battery but not entirely happy with it and don't know whether it's a good idea to have that earth block sat amongst all the cables or not??

20200531_143849.jpg

The leisure battery comes in shelf mode and needs to be 'switched on' using the blue RJ45 cable. So at this point with everything wired up, i went back to the engine bay and connected the red cable to the +ve on the leisure battery.

The Renogy box lit up and at this point i changed the battery type using a pin to the Lithium profile (blue light). I noticed the service battery indicator LED was slow flashing red (battery over discharged) and it occurred to me that it must think the battery is flat as it was still in shelf mode. Soon as I switched the battery on the light turned yellow (battery voltage normal).

Now was the moment of truth, what happens when I start the van... at first nothing, then after a couple of seconds, the Alternator Charging LED turned red to indicate the alternator was charging the battery, happy days!

20200531_143856.jpg

When he ran the cables for the lights, Stewart (Viper Tech) also fitted a nice little switch in the door pillar...

20200601_162448.jpg

and we have light!

20200601_162454.jpg
(the 2 at the back are on a separate circuit and are touch on/off night lights - also worked!)

I plugged the battery monitor into the 12v socket on the dash and got a reading of 11.7v... should be much higher right?

20200601_120351.jpg

@Dellmassive - I haven't driven the van properly for months due to lockdown and also had to jump it 2 weeks ago so i imagine it needs a good run out to charge but also wondered whether this low reading could be due to those fuses that are still connected to the starter battery -Ve giving a false reading... I still need to relocate those somewhere...

The other big omission, I don't have any battery monitoring yet for the leisure battery, as I can't really go anywhere anyway, i was planning on hanging on until the Renogy display becomes available in the UK in August... I'm assuming there's little point in me putting on a BM2 monitor on the Lithium battery and likewise, don't really want to lay out £200 for the Victron monitor when i can hopefully get the Renogy one in time for £50...should give me what i need?

Do you see any problems with how I've wired it, am I likely to burn it down and void my insurance!?

Last edited:
great build thread.

looking good so far . .

So using an earth block, some spare cable from the wiring kit, the crimp lugs, heat shrink etc. i made a cable and brought a more accessible ground feed out to under the seat. This is the bit i wasn't sure is good practice (@Dellmassive legit solution?)
- yes thats fine, but things to note, you need to to keep under the maximum rated current for that block with all loads combined (thats a 240v mains rated one and not good for large amp/current 12v stuff)

ie dont start pushing 200Amps through it. that will be fine for all your smaller circuits etc. ( ie lED lights, USB charger plugs, smaller 12v sockets etc)

but i would take the battery and DC-DC charger fat chunky grounds direct to a seat bolt or ground stud directly, and use that busbar for other circuits . . .

or upgrade that busbar to a proper one like this that can handle large currents: (like this 100A one)

1591036329611.png

I plugged the battery monitor into the 12v socket on the dash and got a reading of 11.7v... should be much higher right?

you need to start the van and run it for a while or connect a charger to the starter battery for 24hrs or so. . . . . below 12v is low yes. . . . 12.6 can be normal when the engine is running and the starter battery is charged., ., ., so turn on some stuff . . . headlights, heated seats, heated windscreen etc . . . which will kick in the alternator to charge . . .

Upgrade that busbar to a proper one like this that can handle large currents: (like this 100A one)

So the thick black cable to the stud is ok, literally need to swap the busbar over... That will be infinitely easier than getting those cables to a stud as the whole lot will have to come out again... It all fits in specific order but I can easily swap over the busbar assuming the cable is ok...

Have ordered and will swap it over soon as it comes!

Thanks as always Dell, you've been a great help!!

Yes those busbars will let you bolt down proper m8 eyelet and beefy cables.....

I use them in the solar shed...

20200601_201835.jpg20200601_201826.jpg

And use a negitive busbar as part of the midi fuse block in my seat base build....

20200601_172535.jpg20200601_162105.jpg

The thing is you have a 50A DC-DC charger...

And a battery that will draw 50A or more when charging...

So cables, conections and fuse blocks etc will get hot if not done right...

So to test you need to run that battery down a bit..... then start the van so it starts charging....

Use a clamp meter if you have one to monitor the flow of power....

At 50A things can get hot fast . . . . So I'd keep a close eye on all cables and connections and keep touching them to gauge any heating you may get...

Including the battery and dc-dc charger..

If any cable or connection starts to get hot then it's an indication of resistance to current.....

So either fit a larger cable or conection....... ie that earth block you have.

Out of interest..... is the XL wire kit you installed rated for 50A Lithium setup? .... I'm sure it is, but worth double checking

what gauge cable is the main link,?

and whats size fuses are at each end?

the starter battery needs fusing at the start of the run in the engine bay -- to dc-dc.

When testing follow the current flow.

Alternator to starter battery..... then via your wire kit to dc-dc charger...... then to the battery positive..... then battery neg to bodywork ground.... check all joints and conections for heating.

Last edited:
That's a good question... Don't know, will have to ask Martyn tomorrow but I did tell him what battery I had etc.

That will come down to the thickness of cable right? It was certainly chunky stuff but will have to check.

I'll swap that busbar over anyway and as for a cable clamp, I don't own one...they're not cheap either, you reckon something this will do the job? The Fluke ones arw crazy pricey, cheapest DC one I could see on Amazon...

Or this

I'd rather be belt and braces on it all to be honest.

Last edited:
be careful with clamp meters . . . . you need one that clamp meters DC current. (most are just AC clamp meters)

i use the:

UNI-T UT210

you can see it in action here:

1591006084965.png

as for the XL wire kit . . .

id assume it was similar to the OEM kit, as in 100A? . . . .

but double check as that charger will pull 50A easy when that battery wants charging . . . .

the spec for the charger calls for:

75A fuse on 4-6AWG cable (16-25mm sq) - (75A so it doesnt get hot when drawing the 50A)

1591042083631.png

1591042200484.png

1591042278433.png

Last edited:
sorry,

yes cable thickness and quality.

the fuse and fuseholder,

the crimp ends.

those M8 terminals need a bolster and punch to crimp (cold weld) if you havent got the large crimp tools.

it will be a midi fuse (upto 100A) or ANL fuse (over 100A)

the feed cable and ground all need to be same gauge.

but if you got the XL kit it should all be made up for you raeady . . . .

provided its been made for the requrements . . . .

ie a 50A dc-dc and a 110Ah Lithium battery.

Nice job, looks like you are making good progress there.
Your set up and parts are similar to mine. If you haven’t seen it on my build thread it has the fuse box at the back of the seat box accessible from the panel on the rear. Much better than taking the seat out to get your lights working in the dark.
Your battery looks like it will fit the other way round similar to my TN Power 100.
Are you planning to fit solar? If so think about a switch on the solar input so that you can choose to just use the whole 50A from the alternator.

Your set up and parts are similar to mine. If you haven’t seen it on my build thread it has the fuse box at the back of the seat box accessible from the panel on the rear. Much better than taking the seat out to get your lights working in the dark.
Your battery looks like it will fit the other way round similar to my TN Power 100.
Are you planning to fit solar? If so think about a switch on the solar input so that you can choose to just use the whole 50A from the alternator.
post a link to your install here . . . . .

i just looked for it, but cant find it.

Sorry yes, forgot to say it’s in my signature:)

Thanks for that will grab one of those.

As for the cable I'm pretty sure it's 16mm2 but I will double check. The XL cable kit came with the wrong ends for my battery but I'd already bought a Draper crimping tool, pack of bolt hole lugs and heat shrink so was able to change the ends over myself.

There was excess black cable in the kit so I used that for the ground cable, added lugs etc to make a proper cable, so all the same heavy gauge stuff.

Will need to check the fuse in the cable in the morning but I did tell Martyn what battery and charger I had, sent him links to both on email so hopefully he clocked all that.

I did try it the right way up but was getting a bit close to the bottom of the seat, is there any downside to having it on its side??

As for the fuse box I do think I'll move it eventually...just need to get some furniture in there to work out where things are going long term.

I will add solar some point too but I'll probably go with a portable panel with quick disconnects and throw it in the back when driving. If I do stick something on the roof good shout though, I'll put an isolator in to make sure i'm getting the full 50a from the alternator when driving.

Sure that battery is fine on its side, you might be able to spin it 90 degrees and get the fuse box at the back.
Does your door pillar switch just do the lights?
I fitted two switches one just where yours is and one on the other side wired up so they both work a relay that controls one of the two positive buses in that fuse box. The camper electrics are divided into two, switched and unswitched with the lights, sink, hob set so you turn them all off and the diesel heater, fridge and some 12vdc sockets on all the time.
I have a diagram of the switching somewhere, pretty simple though.:thumbsup:

Sure that battery is fine on its side, you might be able to spin it 90 degrees and get the fuse box at the back.
Does your door pillar switch just do the lights?
I fitted two switches one just where yours is and one on the other side wired up so they both work a relay that controls one of the two positive buses in that fuse box. The camper electrics are divided into two, switched and unswitched with the lights, sink, hob set so you turn them all off and the diesel heater, fridge and some 12vdc sockets on all the time.
I have a diagram of the switching somewhere, pretty simple though.:thumbsup:
Yeah was just reading that on your thread... Gonna have to digest that and get my head round how it works...relays are not something I've learnt along the way yet! If you do dig out your diagram of be keen to see that.

At the moment the switch only does the light. I do plan (once I've got the furniture in) to have a control panel somewhere with switches for heater, fridge etc but that'll come down the line too...

Yeah was just reading that on your thread... Gonna have to digest that and get my head round how it works...relays are not something I've learnt along the way yet! If you do dig out your diagram of be keen to see that.

At the moment the switch only does the light. I do plan (once I've got the furniture in) to have a control panel somewhere with switches for heater, fridge etc but that'll come down the line too...
I will try and look out the diagram. It’s pretty easy as is the relay wiring. If you can do what you have done so far it’s no problem. I used a relay even though the switches are in theory man enough for the amps because the relay has even better high quality connections with much higher rating.
IMHO switch panels are a waste of time and hard earned voltage. If you fit the minimum number of switches and joints/connections you will minimise losses and have more power for cold beer in the fridge.
@travelvolts has a great write up about this on his website.

I've also got the DCC50S and a Smart Lithium battery :)

I had planned on putting all the electrics on a kind of sled that would slide into bottom cupboard at the back of the van but seeing as you lot have made such a neat install under the drivers seat it seems a waste to not use the space!! I'll definitely be doing this also. I have got big enough solar extension leads to get to the front seat. It's just a case of mounting the fuse box in the kitchen somewhere and where to place the battery charger. I went for the Victron 12/15 IP65 charger with a little holder and plan on taking it out if I need it for another battery. I'll probably place a plug from the consumer unit just behind the drivers seat for the charger to plug in to.

the spec for the charger calls for:

75A fuse on 4-6AWG cable (16-25mm sq) - (75A so it doesnt get hot when drawing the 50A)

View attachment 72417

So i checked the fuses just now, both are 70A so i'm just under (by 5A) on the input coming from the starter battery which i guess is OK to air on the side of caution or would you track down a 75A? Then I'm over with the output (by 10A), so guessing it's worth dropping down the output to a 60A to be on the safe side?

I've also got the DCC50S and a Smart Lithium battery :)

I had planned on putting all the electrics on a kind of sled that would slide into bottom cupboard at the back of the van but seeing as you lot have made such a neat install under the drivers seat it seems a waste to not use the space!! I'll definitely be doing this also. I have got big enough solar extension leads to get to the front seat. It's just a case of mounting the fuse box in the kitchen somewhere and where to place the battery charger. I went for the Victron 12/15 IP65 charger with a little holder and plan on taking it out if I need it for another battery. I'll probably place a plug from the consumer unit just behind the drivers seat for the charger to plug in to.
Yeah i originally thought the same, was going to put the electrics at the back of the van somewhere but then someone made the good point that space of the back of the van is much much usable and it's not likely i'll get anything else under the driver seat so may as well fill the void...

So i checked the fuses just now, both are 70A so i'm just under (by 5A) on the input coming from the starter battery which i guess is OK to air on the side of caution or would you track down a 75A? Then I'm over with the output (by 10A), so guessing it's worth dropping down the output to a 60A to be on the safe side?
Have you got one of the thermal cutoffs that you can reset? I could only find a 60A or an 80A I think so pretty sure I plumped for the 60A, will need to check. If so I may need to up mine so its not just hot all the time.

Back