Future of elevating roofs - Horizon

It's official. Its been launched....

The height on this thing is comical. Who needs it this tall?! What’s the point?

I’m quite tall, and my Skyline is more than tall enough.

Looks smart when it’s down. Silly when it’s up. Wouldn’t want one, myself.

It's not just about standing height, although this is the only Poptop roof that allows you to stand up further towards the back i might add. It's also the huge amount of sleeping space you get without feeling so enclosed.
It allows you to sleep either way round, and sit up straight further back without bumping your head.
This Poptop doesn't sacrifice space over looks, it gives you both whether the top is up or down.

It's not just about standing height, although this is the only Poptop roof that allows you to stand up further towards the back i might add. It's also the huge amount of sleeping space you get without feeling so enclosed.
It allows you to sleep either way round, and sit up straight further back without bumping your head.
This Poptop doesn't sacrifice space over looks, it gives you both whether the top is up or down.
I take your point. So, maybe more suitable for vans with u-shape seating.

Otherwise a bifold provides enough space for a normal rear seat. I think setups with the kitchen in the back will still probably prefer the reversed pop-top.

I wonder if these would feel the wind more or feel less stable. Marginally cooler with greater surface area in cold weather, and more air space to heat.

Just thinking out loud really. Haven’t ever felt the need for my poptop to be taller (as someone who is 6’6”), so I’m trying to work out the rationale for the design.

This roof is a Hilo by another name - yes, they're looking to onward-develop the design, but right now, it's identical to a Hilo. My point is that there are forum members who have purchased such a roof, so please keep in mind that making disparaging comments regarding others' choices is, AFAIA, considered poor forum etiquette.

This roof is a Hilo by another name - yes, they're looking to onward-develop the design, but right now, it's identical to a Hilo. My point is that there are forum members who have purchased such a roof, so please keep in mind that making disparaging comments regarding others' choices is, AFAIA, considered poor forum etiquette.
Fair point.

I take your point. So, maybe more suitable for vans with u-shape seating.

Otherwise a bifold provides enough space for a normal rear seat. I think setups with the kitchen in the back will still probably prefer the reversed pop-top.

I wonder if these would feel the wind more or feel less stable. Marginally cooler with greater surface area in cold weather, and more air space to heat.

Just thinking out loud really. Haven’t ever felt the need for my poptop to be taller (as someone who is 6’6”), so I’m trying to work out the rationale for the design.
Actually it suits any setup, personally I have a caravelle conversion, was kombi, with a Horizon (originally HiLo) roof and utilising the rear bench with the top up is excellent, makes it alot more airy and you don't have to hunch your back when getting up, and yes the bed board whcib comes as standard is bifold. It means you don't have to compromise on either going for a front or rear hinge designed Poptop as you have full walking stand up height front to back.

I see you assumption regarding wind, but actually the superior hinge design and construction of this roof makes it one of if not the most stable Poptops on the market. You can rock the entire vehicle by pushing on the top side to side, by doing so doesn't just make the top sway side to side.
Paired with the high quality marine grade canvas not matched by any other manufacture you get less wind noise, and aids in keeping it cooler and warmer in the opposite weather's.

Its one of those things that unless you have the alternatives side by side with a Horizon you may not understand the massive differences and advantages of a Horizon vs the others, then you would understand the obvious advantages and superior construction and quality of materials, and as such the additional cost. Its a different end of the market this roof is aimed at, it's not for everyone, but everyone should have one...

I was thinking the same, unless you only camp on balmy windless days it‘s going to be a PITA checking the weather forecast to make sure the roof doesn’t get damaged.

I was thinking the same, unless you only camp on balmy windless days it‘s going to be a PITA checking the weather forecast to make sure the roof doesn’t get damaged.
In line with @Martin Stockwell's post, above, the consistent feedback I get from people who own these roofs (and from my own minimal, personal experience having hired a Hilo camper for a windy April weekend in Northumberland), is that this is one of, if not the best pop-top in high winds.

I appreciate the looks aren't to everyone's taste and that there are many tales of woe regarding poor fitment, but you need to examine one of these in the flesh before making assumptions as to its drawbacks.

Last edited:
In line with @Martin Stockwell's post, above, the consistent feedback I get from people who own these roofs (and from my own minimal, personal experience having hired a Hilo camper for a windy April weekend in Northumberland), is that this is one of, if not the best pop-top in high winds.

I appreciate the looks aren't to everyone's taste and that there are many tales of woe regarding poor fitment, but you need to examine one of these in the flesh before making assumptions as to its drawbacks.
My assumption was the more of the ’sail’ that’s exposed to the wind the greater the force applied, that’s physics not my opinion.

I find it very hard to believe that they are the only pop top manufacturer on the market using marine grade canvas.
Especially when I was given a book of swatches from a company whose core business is the manufacture of bimini tops for boats.

My assumption was the more of the ’sail’ that’s exposed to the wind the greater the force applied, that’s physics not my opinion.
I agree re the forces being applied - as you say, that's just physics - but your comments on how well the roof copes with such shearing forces are speculative. Having used one for just 2 nights, I can assure you that the roof copes very well in high winds. The feedback from long-term users and the opinions of certain (respected) Hilo fitters I've spoken to also confirm this.

I find it very hard to believe that they are the only pop top manufacturer on the market using marine grade canvas.
Especially when I was given a book of swatches from a company whose core business is the manufacture of bimini tops for boats.
The quality of the material used is far superior, there are different grades of quality. Unfortuanlty alot of manufactures will go for the thinner cheaper alternatives to keep there costs down and margins up.

As previously mentioned you may only really appreciate these differences in the quality of the materials used when they are side by side to the others.

The quality of the material used is far superior, there are different grades of quality. Unfortuanlty alot of manufactures will go for the thinner cheaper alternatives to keep there costs down and margins up.

As previously mentioned you may only really appreciate these differences in the quality of the materials used when they are side by side to the others.
Absolutely. But they aren’t the sole user of quality heavyweight cotton canvas. They are not the only pop top manufacturer with access to this product.
I’ll leave it there.

@Martin Stockwell, given you're in Sudbury, I'm assuming you had your roof fitted by Visiontech. If so, how do you rate them as a pop-top fitter/convertor? I ask as I've got my van booked in with them in the new year for a full camper conversion.

@Martin Stockwell, given you're in Sudbury, I'm assuming you had your roof fitted by Visiontech. If so, how do you rate them as a pop-top fitter/convertor? I ask as I've got my van booked in with them in the new year for a full camper conversion.
The best, from start to finish. I was willing to go anywhere in the country to get what I wanted by a company that was able to live up to my high expectations, I couldn't believe they were just around the corner.

I was so impressed with the quality of their work and the customer service they offered I volunteered to become a brand ambassador for them, I don't get anything from them in return, but when a business can easily get caught out in incorrect social media comments I was wanting to ensure they had someone with genuine positive experience to step up and shout about it. As such, I regually pop in unannounced to step in and see what's currently being built, and or what's gona be done next or there newest project, it enables me to offer an outsiders opinion, and sneakingly see what the quality of work is at different stages, even that which is ordinarily hidden.

It means I can come on to the forums and Facebook and offer a true opinion of what they do and what it's like.

You are welcome to come see the workmanship for yourself, just pm me.

Back