Pop Top Replacement

Lou

Does anyone have any experience of changing their current pop top for another make/model? I currently have a HiLo Surf (touch wood it’s been fine) however am looking into the future and am considering a more manageable option.. I have recently seen a side pop top on a Bilbos conversion (pic attached) which to us is more practical..
Any thoughts on if this is achievable? Has anyone done this?

IMG_1335.jpeg

I believe the Hilo has a particularly large aperture, so replacing it with another make may prove problematic or even unachievable.

Reactions: CAB
I think you’ll find converters or roof installers will be understandably risk averse to taking this on.
If they say they can do it and then have some issues it will cost them both financially and risk their reputation. Much easier just to keep on with the regular and routine jobs.

@Deaky applied a DIY upgrade to his Hilo roof so that it operates electrically. This may be a more realistic option to make your roof "more manageable". Alternatively, VTA (in Colchester) used to offer an electric Hilo option, but they withdrew it pending design upgrades because they weren't happy with the way it operated. (I believe @Deaky's version has overcome the issues VTA were concerned about).

We have a Leisuredrive side opening roof.

It's great for having full height the length of the van, but there are some cons.
  • Not practical to have a fold up bed board
  • It's a bugger to lift and close
  • Need to be very careful with the canvas when closing
  • Solar not really practical, the slope is very steep and half the time you would be sloping the wrong way.
Having said that, we keep it up in all but the strongest winds, especially if sloping towards the wind.

Yeah I guess so, also I always worry about the height of the HiLo in windy conditions and normally lower it as a precaution

Reactions: Lou
Yeah I guess so, also I always worry about the height of the HiLo in windy conditions and normally lower it as a precaution
I wouldn't worry too much about windy conditions. Despite it's height and large side-profile, the Hilo is one of the strongest of the pop-top roofs. I have one have had it up in strong winds up in Northumberland and I know of at least one person who's had it up in what they described as storm conditions - both without problems. If you want to be doubly sure, orientate your van so the rear is facing into the wind.

I wouldn't worry too much about windy conditions. Despite it's height and large side-profile, the Hilo is one of the strongest of the pop-top roofs. I have one have had it up in strong winds up in Northumberland and I know of at least one person who's had it up in what they described as storm conditions - both without problems. If you want to be doubly sure, orientate your van so the rear is facing into the wind.
Thankyou this eases my mind about it..

Well, despite the misgivings of others in response to this query I can confirm that the Vanmax roof replaces the HiLo Surf.

I would fully recommend the Vanmax roof, having lived with it for over a year - trips abroad and in the UK, winter camping (-10C), windy conditions, hot weather (+22C at night), wet, midgey... The full spectrum. I can also recommend the company in terms of customer service.

It's actually a bigger living space than the Surf (wider aperture inside by at least 150mm), much more comfortable to live with than either of the previous canvasses (!) on the Surf and a really well thought out design. Although not as high at the front, there's more space at the back (scissor hinges) and its really stable in windy conditions -not quite as sail-like as the HiLo's. Oh, and really easy to pull down and stow.

I did approach most other manufacturers and a few fitters when mine broke but with no takers, just a few overconfident opinions.

I'm really pleased to hear of someone that has a Surf that hasn't caused trouble, but when your hinges break, this is the way to go. I speak from bitter experience of HiLo and the Surf (both the company and this model of roof).

Please always remember to clarify the difference between a HiLo Sport (and it's reincarnation) and the HiLo Surf when discussing the merits or otherwise - they are completely different species - the Surf should have been put down at birth.

Please always remember to clarify the difference between a HiLo Sport (and it's reincarnation) and the HiLo Surf when discussing the merits or otherwise - they are completely different species - the Surf should have been put down at birth.
Totally agree.

Totally agree.
Well that's good, I like it when we agree :)

You were, I presume, referring to the HiLo Sport in your earlier post? I think you got one of the last available ones, fitted by Vision Tech (before it was rebranded)? The evidence indicates that the HiLo Surf is not "one of the strongest of the pop-top roofs". Otherwise mine wouldn't have broken, nor would the other that I know of... The hinges are a weak spot - poorly designed and executed (but not obvious until you see what they did) and they had to put a metal lattice below the fibreglass lid to stop it sagging... Just saying...

This thread is (so far) specifically Surf related. Despite everything that I've been through I'm trying to avoid mis/disinformation spreading. At least no-one else can make the same expensive mistake as me.

Well that's good, I like it when we agree :)

You were, I presume, referring to the HiLo Sport in your earlier post? I think you got one of the last available ones, fitted by Vision Tech (before it was rebranded)? The evidence indicates that the HiLo Surf is not "one of the strongest of the pop-top roofs". Otherwise mine wouldn't have broken, nor would the other that I know of... The hinges are a weak spot - poorly designed and executed (but not obvious until you see what they did) and they had to put a metal lattice below the fibreglass lid to stop it sagging... Just saying...

This thread is (so far) specifically Surf related. Despite everything that I've been through I'm trying to avoid mis/disinformation spreading. At least no-one else can make the same expensive mistake as me.
Yeah, my apologies to the OP - I missed that they'd referenced the Surf roof and assumed they were referring to the Sport roof :rolleyes:. By all accounts the Surf roof was an unmitigated disaster (as opposed to the Sport, which was a great product manufactured and sold by a company that was an unmitigated disaster).

Back