Fuel economy 150 & 204 engines.

whiskymac

Following on from my earlier thread on my new van spec I thought I'd ask on a separate thread about fuel economy.

Can any drivers of the 204 or 150 engines comment on what sort of mpg they are getting and possibly tyre wear (if you've done a decent amount of miles)?
I'm ordering a panel van but any info on what Kombis, etc are getting would be useful.
Leaning towards 150 at the moment as I suspect it will be quite a bit more economical and I do quite a lot of miles.

Thanks.

We have a T5.1 140 DSG (sold and going this week) and have opted for a 150 DSG - due in a couple of weeks. It has to be more economical than a 204 on all counts i.e. initial purchase, fuel, maintenance and insurance.

Much as I would like a big engine I cant see any justification. I am not going to race it, I am going to sit in the same traffic queues as everyone else and if I am lucky I will get to do the speed limit occasionally - if I actually want to. All of which I can do just as well in a 150 even with the weight of a camper conversion and all the kit we take with us.

I think @VanBlanc says it all very well.
There is to much traffic on the roads to enjoy the extra power + it's a van, if you want fast bike or car really. I had to compromise with my order anyway, it was either 204 engine or the extras I wanted........chose 150 with extras

150 then remap. Forget traffic. It's about accelerating when you need it more effortlessly.

I don't have it yet but I tried to change my order to a 204. Then remap that still. However it was to late to change the order.

I think fuel economy will be roughly the same off boost when cruising. It was the same with the Euro 5 engines even after a remap for me and going off others experiences.

I ended up with a 204 only because it was available as a cancelled order.
I'm only doing 6,000 miles per annum, I would have settled for the 150.

Must admit I like th idea of the 204, I carry a fair bit of weight at times (panel van).
I did have a 180 T5 for a while which I replaced with a 140 after it was written off. Not a huge amount between the 2 with mpg...maybe 4-5mpg. The 180 did eat front tyres at an alarming rate though. Lol
In all honesty I haven't found the 140 lacking for my needs so either engine would work really.

Well my 140DSG accelerates just fine as much as I ever want it to so I don't see why a 150 won't either.

When you have power what do you want...... more power.

Agreed my remapped 84ps to 166bhp had plenty of power however I wanted more. Especially torque which the 140/150 Will remap to have 50lbft more.

I know your looking at 150 or 204. To give you a rough estimate I have a 180 dsg 4motion kombi getting approx 31mpg but has only done 800 miles gather the 4motion drag will drop the mpg

T6 140 Kombi DSG, 12k on the clock. Overall average since new 38.9mpg, and regularly gets into the mid 40's on a long motorway run. I would assume the 150 is slightly better.

T6 140 Kombi DSG, 12k on the clock. Overall average since new 38.9mpg, and regularly gets into the mid 40's on a long motorway run. I would assume the 150 is slightly better.
That's pretty good, are yours generally fairly long journeys?

I do mainly motorway miles, so anything upto a couple of hundred miles in one go. Cruise control set at 70 ish, and load, light or heavy doesn't seem to make much difference.

140 Euro 5 Kombi T6 currently averaging long term around the 41.6 mpg mark. The most efficient vehicle I have owned since my mk7 golf 1.6 TDi !

Buggirl.........is that what the computer is telling you or your own calculation of litres used and miles travelled? I'm finding the trip computer to be woefully inaccurate compared to my BMW.

Buggirl.........is that what the computer is telling you or your own calculation of litres used and miles travelled? I'm finding the trip computer to be woefully inaccurate compared to my BMW.
That's actual! Worked it out

My Swb 204ps kombi arrived yesterday with delivery miles showing on it.
The average fuel economy from motorway delivery miles was showing 31mpg.
I jumped in it and reset it and did a 1 1/2 hour journey. For the first half of the journey the economy rose to 42mpg, this was smaller Dorset roads not getting over 60mph.
As soon as I got on the motorway even keeping it at or around the limit it dropped so that the overal after the 3 hour return trip read 36.5mpg.

My Swb 204ps kombi arrived yesterday with delivery miles showing on it.
The average fuel economy from motorway delivery miles was showing 31mpg.
I jumped in it and reset it and did a 1 1/2 hour journey. For the first half of the journey the economy rose to 42mpg, this was smaller Dorset roads not getting over 60mph.
As soon as I got on the motorway even keeping it at or around the limit it dropped so that the overal after the 3 hour return trip read 36.5mpg.
Sounds about the same as my 204 4motion velle as we average 35mpg can get up to just over 40mpg on a run.

Back