Fuel economy 150 & 204 engines.

Bought an ex demo T6 Caravelle, 2017 plate, it had 8k miles on it but had to point out to garage that the front tyres were bordering on illegal, and have them changed, at 8k I should have heard alarm bells

Took it home and have done 5k miles, the workings out are 28mpg, 95% motorway and keeping speed 60mph and under, totally disenchanted with that, had for just about 6 weeks, starting to think of disposing already, really not happy

Engine often sounds like it’s labouring at times when pulling away but settles down

Considered mapping but having paid for an extended warranty and having 2 years plus of manufacturers warranty remaining, I’m slightly wary in the event of very costly repairs

All advise gladly received

What engine have you got power and fuel type?? The 4-motion? Heavy Loads? Standard tyres -size and tread pattern??

That seems a low mpg assuming its a diesel at 60mph runs. We get 31-33mpg with 30k on the clock; but at 60mph on long runs 35mpg+ is achievable in my experience. Our milage is mostly long runs we drive 20mph faster than you (on autobahns only;)).

I would have though nearer 38mpg should be achievable for a 2wd, 150TDI Vel, on those runs.

Have you calculated your mpg going from full tank - full tank and dividing thro' the miles driven?

Did you get a full 4 wheel laser alignment from a reputable tyre place (Kwik-fit often have state of the art Hunter equipment) when the tyres where changed? Scrubbing tyres out in 8k will effect mpg imo, if its not been fixed

Have you tried premium fuel?, Do you use cruise control on those long drives (it adds 3mpg to our journeys as it controls the throttle far better than I do)

Last edited:
Right mate....a subject close to my heart! Now go make a brew....I could talk a glass eye to sleep on this subject !! I'll try to be succinct so as to give you a flavour of what kind of driver I am....it might help you make a comparison ? I'm not a hypermiler by any stretch of the imagination....but I monitor tyres and fuel as an indication of the vehicle's health.....and after 25 months of ownership, I think I've got a good feel for the way it behaves. Having said all that.....there are owners on here with a far far better mechanical knowledge than me!! With that in mind, here goes:
Mine is a 150 highline kombi 2 wheel drive manual. 15000 miles from new. Lined out and sound deadening....so a little extra weight. Rarely carries anything heavy. Tyres 3mm all round. Fuel economy high 30's to mid 40's. First piece of advice....ignore mfd2 mpg readout until you've checked it the old fashioned way! Mine was reading 11 to 14 mpg optimistic! I had the world's most economical t6! I've seen 60 odd mpg....yeh.....whatever!! Had it recalibrated.....now it's only 2mpg ish optimistic....that's fine by me. I always do a manual calc.....brim to brim all the same. I always, always use shell v power. I always add a quality diesel additive too. Before anyone spouts off about supermarket fuel versus premium fuel....I'm not getting into that debate or making any recommendations....this is merely about how I run my van in order to maybe shed some light on the op's dilemma. I've been up and down the A1 every day now for almost a fortnight.....journeys of approx 50 to 70 miles each time. I'm averaging approx 65 mph in moderate traffic. My mfd mpg is around 46 so real world it'll be approx 44mpg. Usual motoring is in light traffic....mix of A and B roads and I get approx 36 to 40mpg (in summer ) obviously a bit less in winter. My van has a very slight steering wheel misalignment....discussed here a lot! I was told there is very slight additional wear on the inside edge of one of my fronts....but to be honest, I never spotted it so it's minimal. I'll get it checked out when I replace my front tyres....I'm guessing at around 20k miles? Even given that your van is heavier than mine....I'd be disappointed too. The fact that yours needed new tyres at 8000 miles would've had alarm bells clanging in my head!! The whole mpg debate is massive on here and I'm staggered by the inconsistencies.....but I'd be looking at steering alignment very closely indeed!! The only other major variable I can think of is the way the vehicle was driven during its first few thousand miles? Fwiw, I didn't particularly treat mine with Kid gloves on the "run in". Anyhow, just my ramblings. Hope that gives some insight mate?
Best
MD

One other thing....I watched an engine guru the other night on tube of u....he reckoned that narrow throttle openings don't necessarily mean good fuel economy?
Standing by for incoming now!!:whistle:

We have a 204 manual converted to camper get around 27 around town have seen it as high as 33 on a run . But I did not buy it for the fuel consumption. Its fun to drive with lots of power and is loosing up very nicely.
Does anyone know if the dealer can tell if it has a map on it as I don't want to void the warranty .

We have a 204 manual converted to camper get around 27 around town have seen it as high as 33 on a run . But I did not buy it for the fuel consumption. Its fun to drive with lots of power and is loosing up very nicely.
Does anyone know if the dealer can tell if it has a map on it as I don't want to void the warranty .

The new engines take on avaerage 4-8K to fully loosen up from new.

Yes the dealer can find out if the van is running a ECU tuned map.

But,

its not a warrenty write off, it depends on the specific Tech & dealer . . . . .

if the warrenty claim is for a blown engine due to being mapped, then of course they may reject the claim. but if its for a susspension mount (that has nothing to do with the engine) then tghey should honor the claim.

its a constant hot topic . . . .

have a look at this VW Tech. . . . . love this guy.

2018 - 204 - manual - 12k
Average of 38 mpg for 100 mile commute
on variety of roads. Just driving with flow of traffic.

MY18 204 DSG 10K (loaded & heavy)

25-33 MPG on average ~ 400 miles per 70Ltr tank

Screenshot_20190310-114151_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190310-114203_Fuelio.jpg

2016, euro 5, bluemotion, 6 speed manual 180 ps with full camper conversion.
I’ve been closely monitoring fuel consumption and only get 32-34 mpg regardless of additional passengers, 100kg water, roof rails, camping gear etc.
I tend to drive it like the popemobile at around 1500 -1800 rpm which seems to give the best fuel economy. While the fuel economy isn’t great the torque and response is.

204 DSG 4Mot full camper conversion, fully loaded on our way to the Alps. ACC set to 60mph. We actually went higher than this, I got it up to 44mpg, it was showing over 700miles range.IMG_5550.JPG

150 lwb really mixed driving, country roads, Bath and Bristol, motorway , 20000 in 2 years, around 36mpg.
Tyres probably need replacing in 2000 on the front.
Ample power, didn’t need 4wd in beast from east, very pleased with the van, except battery (see other posts)

I know this thread is about the 150 and 204bhp versions but, just in case anyone was wondering how the 102bhp version stacks up against the others, mine's achieving 43mpg ave after 18k miles. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I thought the lowly 102 would be a disappointing choice performance-wise but it's actually pretty nippy. Certainly not what I'd regard as sluggish and, returning those sorts of consumption figures, I don't feel I'm massively missing out what the 150 and 204bhp versions offer.

Given the choice mind, I'd love a 204, but that's for another day.

I know this thread is about the 150 and 204bhp versions but, just in case anyone was wondering how the 102bhp version stacks up against the others, mine's achieving 43mpg ave after 18k miles. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I thought the lowly 102 would be a disappointing choice performance-wise but it's actually pretty nippy. Certainly not what I'd regard as sluggish and, returning those sorts of consumption figures, I don't feel I'm massively missing out what the 150 and 204bhp versions offer.

Given the choice mind, I'd love a 204, but that's for another day.

Does anyone remember the original Bluemotion T5.1 that came out near the end of the T5.1 days. I seem the remember it was a 114bhp engine. I wonder what mpg that model actually achieved.

We can't get within 10mpg of that, mmm. I wonder why not.:confused::confused::confused:
Driving style makes a huge difference, the best way to see this is to set the MFD to “consumption” rather than average. You have to train yourself. I can’t stress how sensitive the engine is to your right foot. The ACC is the best way to achieve this. Set the ACC to “eco”, tag behind a fast lorry & let the system work it’s magic.

Driving style makes a huge difference, the best way to see this is to set the MFD to “consumption” rather than average. You have to train yourself. I can’t stress how sensitive the engine is to your right foot. The ACC is the best way to achieve this. Set the ACC to “eco”, tag behind a fast lorry & let the system work it’s magic.
Didn't even know our ACC had an eco setting, I must have a play; or even read the f***ing manual;)

Didn't even know our ACC had an eco setting, I must have a play; or even read the f***ing manual;)
It’s in the ACC settings in the MFD, IIRC there’s Sport, Normal, Eco. It controls how fast the van accelerates up to the set speed. It’s become a bit of a game now to see how high we can get the MPG. If you’re happy to cruise at 60mph you can achieve good results. Knock it up to 70mph & the MPG will plummet to below 30mpg.

Back