Thx

As usual VW literature and info can be vague or just plain wrong.

The van has one 230v socket just below the pull out "kitchen". Its only and extension of MHU - no inverter. There is no mention of an additional socket on the order. The brochure says one socket and the web site say two. On the other hand it has grown some extra USB sockets in the back of the seat base that aren't mentioned/listed anywhere:rolleyes:

The trim only has the vent cut outs as the alarm override is in the head unit - same on our Tiguan and is a real pain having to go through the menu every time you leave the dogs in the van.

The internal colour ways are confusing. From the order for that van the interior spec is std;
05. Interior trim colours
-[DJ] Palladium/Titanium Black-Titanium Black/Palladium
What that really means is that the lower half is darker grey, the upper half is pale grey (Paladium) and the dash is black (Titanium).

Cali has courtesy lights in the steps easy to cut out of a non cali step. I think the Caravelle has a fancier step and isn't the Caravelle or Multivan the one with black lower plastic? black

So here is my corrected list of parts for T6.1 California, I will follow up how I get on with it.

1675431415827.png

Surely, if you are capable of doing this install, you can also do a wonderful job of re-using the existing b-pillar trim?
btw, can you post a pic of your trim on the b-pillar?
I think I know why I need the new B pillar trim - to fit the duct to the back of it and offer it into position to mark the hole to be cut on through the metal.

BTW is the B pillar open at the bottom or does it need cutting?

Has to be cut on a normal chassis but not sure what if a vele/Cali will be different ?

I think I know why I need the new B pillar trim - to fit the duct to the back of it and offer it into position to mark the hole to be cut on through the metal.

I read this as the meaning the bottom of the B pillar on the outside under the van.

I could be wrong, but if not here is a video showing it is open.

(video should start at the correct time)

Has to be cut on a normal chassis but not sure what if a vele/Cali will be different ?
The hole in the B Pillar, I doubt we should be so lucky but I'll let you know.
I read this as the meaning the bottom of the B pillar on the outside under the van.
Thats it thx. I am surprised it is left open but then on the other side it is the fuel filler.

Cali has courtesy lights in the steps easy to cut out of a non cali step. I think the Caravelle has a fancier step and isn't the Caravelle or Multivan the one with black lower plastic? black
To my understanding, the courtesy lights can not be retrofitted as there is a recess in the original ones where the lights are installed. The footsteps of Cali, Multivan and Caravelle are the same except for the "cheap" Caravelle sliding door footstep - it has a transporter light due to the difference in the floor level and the difference in the step itself between Cali/Multivan and Caravelle (not UK Caravelle).

Under the car, always open. Inside - it will be interesting to see if a Cali chassis has a hole despite ordering without this option.

Trust me, you don't need a trim. There are a couple of hacks how to make things simpler.

To make a cut for this thing:
t5-t6-frame-volkswagen-genuine-part-oe-nr-7h0819475_3.jpg
attach it to the B-pillar and start sliding it on the surface of the b-pillar metal until you notice minimal gaps between the plastic and the metal. Once done, make a rough outline inside and cut the metal 1cm inside from the rectangle you have drawn.
Then you fit the Air Guide Channel = 7E0 819 381C and use the inside of that channel to widen your hole accurately:
cAcpNIibIdNfGaE9B8ZYwelkUaA-960.jpg
RLOMALuO4U1s40SyU1_1LdFrFoQ-960.jpg

To make the cutting on the trim - install all air guides and put some paint over the soft stuff that is sticking out on the Y-splitter.
Pag01lTVTDdMuICj8C_vUJNdgcY-960.jpg

Then just attach the B-trim, wait a few seconds and you will have a rough marking where to cut. When doing this, remove all the clips from the b-trim to avoid unnecessary work and also just like the metal, start with small holes and work your way out.

So my local TPS want £557 inc VAT for my complete list of parts delivered to me. A few parts have to be ordered in so a couple of weeks. TBH that doesn't sound too bad to me. Thoughts?

So my local TPS want £557 inc VAT for my complete list of parts delivered to me. A few parts have to be ordered in so a couple of weeks. TBH that doesn't sound too bad to me. Thoughts?
It's a complete rip-off. I am getting the OEM heater + channels for the lower price (little used). If you are comfortable with 557 - go for it. Avoids the hassle of sourcing elsewhere.

It's a complete rip-off. I am getting the OEM heater + channels for the lower price (little used). If you are comfortable with 557 - go for it. Avoids the hassle of sourcing elsewhere.
If you want to see a rip off you should see the price of a new or even used van here even with discount and I am not even going there with car parts for my ‘65 CalLooker. It’s a price we pay for wanting to play.

Anyhow I am waiting for a breakdown and a couple of other prices including German. However I need to do the work in the next 6 weeks and I can’t risk anything going TU and having to wait again for replacement parts. I’ll make a decision next week when I have the van.

Last edited:
To summarize,

Only 3 parts of the ducting listed in the post #1 are different according to the model:
  1. The front passenger footstep - difference is presence (Caravelle/Multivan) or absense (Transporter) of courtesy light. The footsteps have a lot of different variations and cost a lot. I 3d-printed a custom vent and embedded it into the existing step.
  2. The air guide B-pillar - 7H5 819 655 A (Caravelle/Multivan) or 7H0 819 655A (smaller/narrower version for Transporter)
  3. Angle-shaped vent B-pillar - 7H5 819 383 A (Caravelle/Multivan, angle bigger than 100 degrees) or 7H0 819 383 B (Transporter, shorter vent, angle is 90 degrees).
In all of the cases above, if you replace H with E in the part numbers, you would be getting same part (example - see OEM part numbers section).

@DaveyB, can I kindly ask you to add this info to the first post? It can take ages for a new user to read 25 pages and the error might be costly.

Interestingly, some B-pillar trims have template embossed at the back while others (with factory sound deadening material) - don't. If you have a trim with embossing on the inner side - you are lucky and saved yourself at least a few hours of trimming and fitting work.

I might be offering the 3-d printed insert for the footsteps, not decided yet though. The footstep also has embossing at the back for the cut-out although VW never offered this vent as a separate article (maybe they planned to)?

I also have a spare air-guide (Y-shape) for Transporters 7H0 819 655A if anyone needs one.

View attachment 185803

View attachment 185804

confirming the front step embossing @eugene mentioned

A444BE75-4ECC-476E-A768-7A26E21EC825.jpeg

Hey @eugene that STL file I posted, the 3D model of the vent measures 200mm wide x 70mm deep. Looking at the markings on my side step it’s more like 210mm x 90mm.
what size is your vent?

Is it easy to get the OEM heater to work in a van that never had one?

Is it easy to get the OEM heater to work in a van that never had one?
yes if you can make a wiring loom or if you can get someone to do it for you. This drawback is what stops most people from taking the OEM route (apart from the price for new OEM parts).
I've done it before on my wife's T6. Planning to install another one on my T6 as soon as it gets warmer.

yes if you can make a wiring loom or if you can get someone to do it for you. This drawback is what stops most people from taking the OEM route (apart from the price for new OEM parts).
I've done it before on my wife's T6. Planning to install another one on my T6 as soon as it gets warmer.
Thanks, I think that may be a bit beyond me without a set of instructions. I may just get a 4kW heater then it should fit all the OEM ducts etc.

Thanks, I think that may be a bit beyond me without a set of instructions. I may just get a 4kW heater then it should fit all the OEM ducts etc.
Any 4-5kw heater (even chinese) will do (3kw might be fine as well - OEM is 3.5kw I think). There are 2 main advantages for installing non-OEM heater:
  1. You can place remote control close to where you sleep. It is not comfortable to control OEM heater at night due to the control panel being in the overhead front.

2. There is no possibility to install High Altitude kit if you go OEM.
    If you drive into mountains, then this kit is important to have. I've camped at 2000m and above in my car.
    There is a plan to try installing Hohekit as in experiment, since I have the Eberspacher Hohekit already purchased but Eberspacher told me they can't give instructions how to install it on the VW OEM heater so definitely not an option to go for.
J6AAAgMGC-A-1920.jpg

Hey @eugene that STL file I posted, the 3D model of the vent measures 200mm wide x 70mm deep. Looking at the markings on my side step it’s more like 210mm x 90mm.
what size is your vent?
Heres a few pics from the bits i bought that are sat in my garage, should give you some approx measurements of step and duct

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

IMG_6117.JPG

Back