Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, where have people located the controller? I have the multi-controller and in the regs it states that it must be located in the drivers vision. I want to locate it in the rear so I can control the heating without getting up! So my question is, what is the consequences of not locating in the drivers line of vision and is it possible to run an on/off switch in the dash and the controller in the rear?
Thanks

Think your pump query has been answered above.

Just check the rivnuts though as I believe the factory holes are round not hex. M6 is the size though. I know more modern vag stuff seems to have hex holes though so it may have changed.

I would use the rivnut holes though, tech screws have their uses by why put more holes in the van unnecessarily.
Thanks, I have order tech screws too, so hopefully one will work! My 2016 has hex shape holes.

another question, most tend to do the circulation option rather that fresh air, is there a reason for this? I am still unsure. BTW my heater is a Webasto Air top 2000 stc

Last edited:
I think that you will find that campers always have them mounted in the rear, I should think that anything that says that it should be within the driver's reach/vision is aimed at normal car type usage. I would say that it would be ridiculous to say that it must be mounted in the front in all situations.
What regulations have you seen that say this? Link would be helpful.

another question, most tend to do the circulation option rather that fresh air, is there a reason for this? I am still unsure. BTW my heater is a Webasto airtronic stc
No such heater! Either a Webasto Air Top 2000STC or an Eberspacher D2/*/* Airtronic.

If you wish to attempt to heat up all the air surrounding your van you can use fresh air but your heater will be running flat out continuously doing it that way.

I think that you will find that campers always have them mounted in the rear, I should think that anything that says that it should be within the driver's reach/vision is aimed at normal car type usage. I would say that it would be ridiculous to say that it must be mounted in the front in all situations.
What regulations have you seen that say this? Link would be helpful.
7 Warning light 7.1 A clearly visible tell-tale in the operator’s field of view shall inform when the combustion heater is switched on or off. page 43 of the manual (webasto Air Top 2000 STC)

Could the controller in view thing just be to try to make sure you don't pull up to refuel with the heater running? H&S to the Nth degree?
At the moment I've stuck mine near the upper seatbelt mount on my B pillar, and will use the remote if needed from bed. I didn't need to conceal the cable for this, as it mainly runs behind the furniture and then tucked into the edge of the B pillar trim. May find a better permanent home.

Not applicable unless you are fitting it in a vehicle that comes under ADR (Carriage of dangerous goods) -
1.1.Application of combustion heaters in vehicles for the transportation of dangerous goods.
Vehicles used for the purpose of transporting dangerous goods are type approval tested in accordance with ECE R 105. The following measures are derived for our combustion heaters.( You are reading the warning light under this section!)

Could the controller in view thing just be to try to make sure you don't pull up to refuel with the heater running? H&S to the Nth degree?
At the moment I've stuck mine near the upper seatbelt mount on my B pillar, and will use the remote if needed from bed. I didn't need to conceal the cable for this, as it mainly runs behind the furniture and then tucked into the edge of the B pillar trim. May find a better permanent home.

1) See my post above. There is supposed to be a label fitted close to the filler to remind people to switch it off - I have never seen one. :)
2) That is exactly where I mounted mine and use the remote if needed.

1) See my post above. There is supposed to be a label fitted close to the filler to remind people to switch it off - I have never seen one. :)
2) That is exactly where I mounted mine and use the remote if needed.
2) Great. Looks like a good position then. If/when the sticky pads fail, I'll screw it in. It's out of reach of the kids there.....
p.s. @oldiebut goodie finished my install today with a Webasto exhaust - great quality, bend it as often as you like and a perfect push fit onto heater and silencer (even though they aren't Webasto). I can certainly see why people pay the extra for that sort of quality. Maybe one day, when the cheap copy fails..........:confused:

Thanks @oldiebut goodie I am reading myself into knots! Can I ask another question, the kit arrived with a 1m length of 60mm flexible pipe. the reference on it is 83660A I cannot locate this as a Webasto reference nor will it marry up with the accessories catalogue picture below too. I am going with the circulation option, I am trying to find out if the inlet and outlet pipes are the same diameter? From reading there is mention of 55mm and 60mm, do you know the answer? I need to order the inlet pipe, also I have no clue what the APK means. I really appreciate all the help
1602018926404.png

60mm for the 2000STC. ( although you can get a 75mm end cap to confuse matters more) 55mm is for branching off the main 60mm duct. The Chinese ducting is perfectly usable. If using underneath I prefer to use high temp silicone ducting as it is far more waterproof but that is at greater cost. The standard cardboard and foil ducting will last quite well though.

60mm for the 2000STC. ( although you can get a 75mm end cap to confuse matters more) 55mm is for branching off the main 60mm duct. The Chinese ducting is perfectly usable. If using underneath I prefer to use high temp silicone ducting as it is far more waterproof but that is at greater cost. The standard cardboard and foil ducting will last quite well though.
Thanks, is it 60mm for the air inlet too?

So the heater is all but in, one further question, the hot air inlet comes into the van under the drivers seat. I used a 60mm hole but struggled to feed the 60mm pipe through the hole. I have looked for a 60mm/60mm joining adapter but cannot find one. There is a 60mm - 55mm reducer that could work, the idea being that the reducer is in contact with the hole not the pipe. Is this how others do it or do you just feed the hot air pipe straight through?

Good eberspacher install thread. I’m doing this now and to add to this thread for anyone following in the future there is now a much simpler way to make your fuel tank connection if you have an Adblue van.
Cambee in Devon supplied me the fuel line tee piece photoed. Avoids lowering the tank and fitting that tube to the fuel tank unit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back