Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

Excellent write up! :cool:

I've gone for the internal set up, but have a question:

Do I really need to drill/cut a 150mm hole in the floor to install the mounting plate or can it be mounted on long bolts and just drill holes for the pipework?

How would you then seal the exhaust to prevent exhaust gases from entering the interior? You use a mount for a reason, the silicon rubber seal seals the heater to mount interface and the mount is bonded to the floor, that way there is no possibility of external gases reaching the inside.
I make my mounts with a rectangular flange rather than a circular one - far easier to cut 4 straight lines with an angle grinder and cutting disc than messing around with cutting a circle out.

How would you then seal the exhaust to prevent exhaust gases from entering the interior? You use a mount for a reason, the silicon rubber seal seals the heater to mount interface and the mount is bonded to the floor, that way there is no possibility of external gases reaching the inside.
I make my mounts with a rectangular flange rather than a circular one - far easier to cut 4 straight lines with an angle grinder and cutting disc than messing around with cutting a circle out.
I thought as much and its the exhaust gasses that are worrying me the most. Thanks for your swift reply and I have plenty of hole saws, hopefully one the right size

Excellent write up! :cool:

I've gone for the internal set up, but have a question:

Do I really need to drill/cut a 150mm hole in the floor to install the mounting plate or can it be mounted on long bolts and just drill holes for the pipework?
you get smaller mounting plates, mine was a 125mm hole and my m8's was smaller than that for d2 heater, where you putting heater?

you get smaller mounting plates, mine was a 125mm hole and my m8's was smaller than that for d2 heater, where you putting heater?
Mine is the 125. Went for it yesterday, heater installed under driver seat and running. Todays project.............put the van back together:rofl:

did my chinese heater last week...
if you mount the step inlet without the cover/outer piece. and get it as flush as possible to the step inner (metal)..i siliconed mine back and screwed... took any proud bits off the plastic lip.......it leaves plenty of room to fit the genuine grilled footstep...
these cost £50 inc vat from tps... does make for a nice ocd finish to the job.

side step.jpg

I done my heater yesterday, put it under my bed, same as t4, put all electrics in a box at the back of my van, can put big battery in, plenty room for other stuff, will use the front passenger for a safe.

Exhaust question - where's the ideal muffler/silencer location? 2/3rds of the way to the 'smokey end', i.e. on a 1.5m exhaust you'd have 1m from heater to muffler, then 50cm from muffler to exit? Or does it not really matter?

I put mine down near the exhaust muffler, never had any exhaust smell in vehicle.
Heater mounted on drivers side under van.20200713_170715.jpg

Exhaust question - where's the ideal muffler/silencer location? 2/3rds of the way to the 'smokey end', i.e. on a 1.5m exhaust you'd have 1m from heater to muffler, then 50cm from muffler to exit? Or does it not really matter?
Point it towards exhaust and point intake the opposite, will be fine, just a matter of a good fixing point

Don't know what question the previous 2 posts are in answer to.
If you had a proper heater like a Webasto you would know the answer from the installation manual.:)
ie

10. Exhaust Pipe
Rigid pipes of unalloyed or alloyed steel with a minimum wall thickness of 1.0 mm (3/64 in.) or flexible piping of alloyed
steel only must be used as exhaust line.
The exhaust pipe is secured to the heater using a clamping collar, for example. See the ‘regulations for installation’ for
other requirements.
The exhaust muffler should ideally be installed near the heater.
The heater may also be operated without a muffler.

I have seen numerous examples of them being fitted incorrectly at the outboard end of the exhaust pipe because people do not bother to read the manuals.

If you had a proper heater like a Webasto you would know the answer from the installation manual.:)
ie

10. Exhaust Pipe
Rigid pipes of unalloyed or alloyed steel with a minimum wall thickness of 1.0 mm (3/64 in.) or flexible piping of alloyed
The exhaust pipe is secured to the heater using a clamping collar, for example. See the ‘regulations for installation’ for
other requirements.

I have seen numerous examples of them being fitted incorrectly at the outboard end of the exhaust pipe because people do not bother to read the manuals.
I'm not sure either but thanks AussieMick and Doulsy, I appreciate the replies. @oldiebutgoodie - a Webasto would be my first choice, but while on furlough I have a lot more time than cash to throw at this. Thanks for the info, it backs up a couple of sources I've seen. It seems a lot of DIYers think that sticking them on the end, like a rifle silencer is the way to go. Your input backs up at least half of your username (I've no idea how old you are). When the Chinese job goes kapoot (and assuming it doesn't take me with it ), I promise to go with Webasto. Much obliged.

ie

10. Exhaust Pipe
other requirements.

manuals? lol

Hi All,

Not sure if this is of use but I took a few pictures as I fitted my D2 diesel heater, may help people having a go themselves.

I’m not a pro at fitting these and this is the first I have done, any criticism is welcome.

For reference this is the underslung T6 specific kit and I’m fitting as part of my camper conversion on a 66plate euro 6 LWB highline 150.

So first job up on timber blocks rather than stands as I felt more comfortable that way for this.

So next all the panels off left and right underneath, these were already off for me as doing various bits beneath.

Next located the factory positions for rivnuts under drivers seat area.

Fitted two m6 rivnuts and test fitted bracket, stainless fixings used throughout as I’m a bit of a tart and don’t like rust.

Fitted bracket to heater along with flexi pipe on high pressure side.

Bolted up and fitted high pressure line next, used rubber lined p clips to support. Used all factory holes with rivnuts for this, existing positions perfect. Then clipped along in spare point on existing clips towards tank.

Hi, did you use hex m6 riv nuts? Where did you locate the pump? close to the tank or next to the heater? conflicting advice and about to fit webasto

thanks, I have read the manuals but missed this so 1.2 metres, best stick to close to the tank then!

I've order m6 hex riv nuts, hopefully they will be ok

It would be hard to go over 1.2m from the tank on a van though, without some funky hose routing. Tech screws work fine.

Hi, did you use hex m6 riv nuts? Where did you locate the pump? close to the tank or next to the heater? conflicting advice and about to fit webasto

Think your pump query has been answered above.

Just check the rivnuts though as I believe the factory holes are round not hex. M6 is the size though. I know more modern vag stuff seems to have hex holes though so it may have changed.

I would use the rivnut holes though, tech screws have their uses by why put more holes in the van unnecessarily.

Back