Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

Hi did the Special T piece work & has anyone else used one. I was going to T into the supply to the Webasto auxiliary?
Thanks

Hi, Would love to know if the T-piece on the return works also. Just about to drop the tank and start the fitting of my Webasto air top 2000 stc. It certainly would make life a bit easier if the T-piece worked ?

Well today I learnt something new before I even got out of bed. :)
Webasto are now offering a kit for fitting to adblue T6's that does not require dropping the fuel tank. Not used one yet but expecting a delivery of about a dozen of them today so I will be interested to see how the install goes.
I'm new to this forum, and your post seems to have some relevance to a question I've been trying to get answered. I have a narrowboat where the diesel tank sits about 4' above the engine, and diesel fuel flows under gravity to the engine. Eberspacher and Webasto heaters both come with fuel pumps for pumping fuel upward from a tank located below the heater. I'm wondering if either heater can be used with fuel fed under gravity. It would need a fuel pump that blocked fuel flow when the heater was off. Any thoughts on which heater (Eberspacher or Webasto) would fit better with a fuel tank situated above the heater?

Either will do the job - read the relevant installation manuals for your proposed heater for the maximum amount of head that is permissible. 4 ft is usually no problem. Webasto and Eberspacher fuel pumps naturally shut off the fuel when not operating.

Either will do the job - read the relevant installation manuals for your proposed heater for the maximum amount of head that is permissible. 4 ft is usually no problem. Webasto and Eberspacher fuel pumps naturally shut off the fuel when not operating.
Thanks, oldiebut goodie!! I earlier learned that Eberspacher fuel pumps shut off flow when the heater unit shuts off but heard the opposite on Webasto fuel pumps. Thanks for clarifying!!! If you know of anyone in the Milton Keynes' area who can install an Eberspacher or Webasto heater unit, I'd appreciate knowing!!

Does anyone know of a booklet available for those like me who would like to install an Eberspacher or Webasto or similar heater system on their 62' narrowboat but has no idea as to where to start??? These heater systems are quite expensive and there are a myriad of Eberspacher and Webasto items on sale on eBay and other sites, and I really have no idea where to start. Webasto's Thermo Top C heater unit seems to be very popular. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone know who in the Milton Keynes' area can install an Eberspacher or Webasto heater unit on a narrowboat? Just interested in installation of the heater unit itself, not the radiators and piping and other parts of a heater system. Installers I've spoken to are only interested in installing a complete heating system, not just the heater unit.

Are you talking about air heaters or water heaters as you have now posted about water heaters in the thread that was about air heaters? Do you know what you are trying to achieve?
You would be better off asking in a separate thread as answers could become confusing for anyone reading this thread.

Water heaters, oldiebut! I didn't see any reference to this forum being restricted to 'air heaters'. I didn't realize there was a separate 'water heaters forum.

Water heaters, oldiebut! I didn't see any reference to this forum being restricted to 'air heaters'. I didn't realize there was a separate 'water heaters forum.

@PhilWil without coming across rude you could well be in the wrong place completely. In general the information on the this forum is aimed at T6’s or at least Transporters.

There must be a forum/resource that is focused on boats that could help?

Good luck with it, boats are surely an even more expensive pastime than T6’s and that’s saying something! :)

Thread not forum. You will confuse the thread. Start your own thread.
But, as above - we don't tend to put radiators and the like in our vans. Water heaters in our vans are designed for preheating the engines mainly for cold climates like Finland/Sweden etc not for running radiator heating systems, so we have no experience of this.
For an installer to install a water heater for your usage they would need to design the whole system to include one safely. Or at least follow your design as much as possible but I get the impression that you really haven't a clue as to your exact requirements. Every time I have installed an air heater in a boat the installation has been different, there is no " one size fits all" solution. If you have no experience fitting heating at all I suggest that you use a professional throughout for a safe system that will run smoothly and efficiently.

There are several canal boating forums that will have a wealth of information on this subject.

I will google for you. How to make sure your narrowboat is heating up properly

Last edited:
Hi, Would love to know if the T-piece on the return works also. Just about to drop the tank and start the fitting of my Webasto air top 2000 stc. It certainly would make life a bit easier if the T-piece worked ?

I too have been at the dropping the tank stage for a while but decided to give teeing in to the return fist and see how it goes.
A week in so far so good, all is still working with no issues to report, mine is a 2013 140 so the pipework is different as there is no adblue etc.

I connected into the blue return line here
9AA62E71-0D2B-4BC6-B94A-B71158BF1A41.jpeg

First of all this is a great thread so thanks to the original poster and everyone elses comments to date! Now my particular query which I think has already been answered here but thought I'd double check. I have a Shuttle SE as my base van which comes with the Webasto Thermo Top 5kw diesel heater that's linked to the AC Vents for warming the cab only. Obviously this runs on the vehicle battery and is no good for heating the rear of a LWB so I've got an MV Airo ready to mount in the underslung position under the drivers seat. Question 1 - am I right in thinking the Webasto will already have a diesel feed from the sender unit that I can simply put a T Piece into to feed the MV Airo to save dropping the fuel tank? If so does anyone know which specific diameter piece I'll require as not sure of the diameter of the fuel line to the webasto (my fuel line for the MV Airo is the standard 1.5mm stuff)? Question 2 - I'm quite happy to drop the fuel tank and have the correct kit\stand pipe to go into the sender unit, in which case would the webasto fuel line be taking up the space I wanted to use for the MV Airo standpipe or is there plenty of room to accommodate the supply, return, webasto and my new stand pipe? Don't want to drop the tank to realise after that I needed to T into the webasto.

Just tee off the Thermo Top fuel feed line, no need for anything else. You are lucky not needing to drop the tank! The fuel line should be 5mm OD so you will need a 5x5x5mm tee. 2 x 5mm T-PIECE BARBED PLASTIC HOSE JOINER. WATER AIR FUEL CONNECTOR. | eBay Be careful to not use too much force putting the rubbers on - soften them and use lubricant as they are easy to snap if you are heavy handed. Do not overtighten the fuel hose clips either, the clips stop the hose pulling off not make the seal.

Thanks @oldiebut goodie ordered. Will pop back under the van now and check I can locate the fuel line into the webasto and a sensible place to T off it. Silly question but I assume there is no preference on which parts of the T to put the fuel feed, Webasto feed and Airo Pump feed? Really annoying my kit only has 2 more rubber hoses so got to order another one to go this way. Will put some pictures up once installed in case anyone else goes this way.

Thought as much cheers. I'd be interested to hear\see pictures if anyone else has an underside Diesel heater on the shuttle SE. Just had a proper look under the panels and with the fuel tank, adblue tank and Webasto on one side then the rear HVAC coolant pipes on the other it's all a tad busy so locating the fuel pump is going to be a challenge. Also having to vent the heater output behind the drivers seat (leisure battery under the drivers seat) isn't going to be straightforward whilst trying to avoid the exhaust pipe.

Back