Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

Someone must have researched exactly where the return finishes in the tank, without the ability to check myself I have been waiting to see if anyone comes up with the info before I could recommend the return as a supply. Some returns do not go very low in the tanks so you would have no fuel after say 1/2 tank etc.
Are there any identification marks on the tee-piece to enable purchase on its own?

I don’t think the return does go into the actual fuel tank to any great depth, I think this is relying on fuel being present and you can draw fuel through the return anyway on vag my concern would be that you could theoretically drain the tank, when diagnostic machine not available you can bled fuel filters via drawing off the return, I purposely measured my feed in the tank to prevent a no fuel state, but to put mine at ease some bright spark did leave an eberspacher running in the yard on a sprinter at work it was outside a very long time drinking the full tank I only know it was in the yard about two weeks so can’t tell how long it took to nearly empty it

I very much doubt that a heater fuel pump will be able to draw fuel back from in tank lift/fuel filter/pump/engine side - it just ain't got enough oomph.

The low draw fuel vacuums I use can do it, I’m just trying to picture the fuel sender unit I’m sure the return just terminates literally under the top so can’t see where else it can draw fuel

Just spoke to mate at vw and the fuel return does go into the sender unit base so would pick up from there but he did say it’s close to the bottom

If it terminates that high up the tee will not work as you will be sucking air very soon as the last few inches of return will drain first in preference to trying to draw the long way round when there is no flow in the return ie engine off.

I was thinking of the vag Skoda senders that just plonk straight back into top of the tank

At least you have managed to confirm that the return can be used reliably which is something that no one else had been able to confirm to date. All we need now is a source for the push fit tee to make it easier for everyone otherwise it means messing about with normal tees and hose clips on the return line.

Good eberspacher install thread. I’m doing this now and to add to this thread for anyone following in the future there is now a much simpler way to make your fuel tank connection if you have an Adblue van.
Cambee in Devon supplied me the fuel line tee piece photoed. Avoids lowering the tank and fitting that tube to the fuel tank unit.

View attachment 96629

View attachment 96631

View attachment 96632

What is the diameter of the exposed spigot on the fitting? ( I am hunting on Alibaba for some but need some dimensions)

I think standard push fit fuel lines are 8mm, certainly the filters for the T5 with push fit fittings are 8mm.
I suspect one of these will work. Part No E has a 6mm ID barb fitting so 8.47mm OD.
10 for £26.24 plus 98p shipping

They are the ones that I have got a page of open on Alibaba. I was expecting 8mm but didn't want to order some and wait weeks and they were the wrong size. That one has a grey release but the one pictured earlier has a green one - usually denoting a different size, good enough reason to get confirmation first.

The idea of using a T piece has already been debated on the forum. I recall fitting the heater feed into the sender and confirming that the depth was less that the existing feed. Hence the heater couldn’t empty the tank, leaving the engine up sh!t creek! Obviously worse case scenario....

Yes but this is not in the feed - it is in the return. You cannot take the supply for a heater from the pressurized supply but most heaters permit it from the return. No one confirmed the depth of the return prior to this hence I have never advised connection to the return. We still don't know how much fuel is left for the engine if the end of the return is exposed unlike fitting the take off to the sender so it would be wise to be cautious if operating with low fuel level and the return take off tee.

[/QUOTE]
Good eberspacher install thread. I’m doing this now and to add to this thread for anyone following in the future there is now a much simpler way to make your fuel tank connection if you have an Adblue van.
Cambee in Devon supplied me the fuel line tee piece photoed. Avoids lowering the tank and fitting that tube to the fuel tank unit.

View attachment 96629

View attachment 96631

View attachment 96632
Cambee in Devon supplied me the fuel line tee piece photoed.
Contacted Cambee who state they didnt sell or supply the T piece... Strange

I know this is an old thread but great pictures and write up, I have a T6 Caravelle and want to fit the air heater. I want to know if the bottom of the B post is hollow. I have the b post air duct part numbers and local van centre pricing for me. TPS aren’t serving any customers other than companies. I plan to use the air intake like you but VW vents outlet.
cheers

I know this is an old thread but great pictures and write up, I have a T6 Caravelle and want to fit the air heater. I want to know if the bottom of the B post is hollow. I have the b post air duct part numbers and local van centre pricing for me. TPS aren’t serving any customers other than companies. I plan to use the air intake like you but VW vents outlet.
cheers

Have a search there is a thread somewhere about doing exactly that with all the info you need. :thumbsup:

Back