Steve1978

T6 Guru
Hi,

So I have for a very long time been thinking about replacing my Pioneer FB88DAB (which is an outstanding unit by the way) with an iPad Mini.
My reasons for wanting to do this are:
1) love google maps and Waze
2) Screen is brighter, I actually cant see the screen at all in the summer.
3) Familiar interface
4) having that iOS experience in the Van
5) because I love to tinker.

So I have taken the front off the van and created a new facia that fits the hole but covers all the black surrounds of the iPad mini 4.

Secondly I have created a backbox for the iPad, this has some cut-outs, one to slide the iPad out when the dash is off, one for the volume and powers so they don't get pressed by the backbox, its a snug fit. lastly a cut out for the audio jack in case I decide to utilise that.

Also, I’ve created a standoff for the "case" so that it screws in to the existing holes and sits in the right position in relation to the dash.

Any way.. attached are some pics of the project.

Pics, Backing - Backbox to hold ipad
Facia 1 - flat initial design to cover ipad front
Facia - second design with tapered edges, once i have measurements right I will do a reprint
Printer - current print job working (9 hour print for backbox)

Backing.PNG

Facia.png

Facia 1.PNG

Printer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited and merged 1400 09/09/2023
The print job finished in the early hours so i had a look and its a non starter for that design. the backbox was a snug fit but I realised that the section on the right where the iPad is designed to slide out if needed is a problem, thats where the screw point is to the van, not a deal break but not idea. Secondly and most importantly the facia fit was not good, there were no bonding points to the backbox. So, I went back in to fusion and did another rehash making the whole think a single unit. no gluing at all for this other than the stand off legs to screw it to the van. only issue with this design that i can see is there are a lot of plastic supports needed during the print so there will be a fair bit of work needed post production. Anyway. enjoy the pics, it’s due to finish at about 3pm.

On new design I have included tapered edges, a home button and a light sensor hole. contracting colours just to show the differences.

front.png

side.png

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Edited and merged 1400 09/09/2023

Ok, turns out my 3d printer is quicker than the software thought it was and it is complete. it took a while to get all the supports out and its made a right mess!! however, i am incredibly happy with the results, for a prototype. I need to change the hole for the home button as i cant fit my finger in, get rid or change the light sensor as its reading it as dark all the time. still need to make the stand off feet but that shouldn't be too hard. oh and sand and paint the final product.

IMG_0824 (1).jpg

I have just kicked off a print job for the tabs and then a new modified version, think this is v6. :)

Here I have changed the home button hole so its big enough for my finger to fit, think i went for 20mm with tapered edge. on the back i have added a cutraway for the lightning cable as I plan on using a 90 or 180 degree adapter
lastly is the tabs i have made to attach it to the car

v6 front.PNG

back v6.png

tabs v3.PNG

Post 4

so a small update today, it takes so long to design and print that the updates move slowly! I carried out a test fit this evening of my "draft" part. turns out its a little bit tofast, only a couple of mm at most, however I shaved 6mm off the front, made a few additional ones, one for the internal speakers and one for the volume as the are being pressed when i am slotting the ipad in.

I did a test print v2 but the support structure was so strong i couldn't separate it from the draft print. i needed to snip a small plastic piece off the van as it was snagging on the top of the ipad, see in the pic, top dead center. however, it went in, it looked good. just a little bit too fat! so lets see what the next version brings.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

I did a test print v2 but the support structure was so strong i couldn't separate it from the draft print.
I have that issue with PETG - either a scrappy underside where supported or stuck together forever. The correct interface gap setting appears to fall within one layer’s thickness.

Does an iPad have thermal cut-off like an iPhone?

I printed a stand for a Bose sounlink mini today and I got the supports spot on, just broke clean off. I’ve used the same setting and started a clean print.

yes I believe there will be a thermal cut out. I’m thinking of either blocking off the 2 air vents inside so heat can’t get through or adding a 80mm fan, don’t want to over engineer it as it’s going to be fairly complex anyway with the speakers, cameras etc.

Reactions: CJW
Thanks all. This evening I have modified the screw tabs. rather than just being a round hole, once stuck I had no room to move the unit up or down to get that perfect fit, additionally the whole unit was sitting a little bit shy of flush. So thicker screw tabs and up and down holes. see image.

If anyone is wondering what I have spent to get this far...

3D printer - 189
ipad mini 4 - 75
Spool of filament - 15
bose soundlink mini (as an option for bluetooth audio but may not be needed) - 120

Left to buy - Amp for speakers to lightning - 20
Rear view mirror with reverse camera - 80
12v converter to switch single in to at least 2 usb ports, plus a few bits £30 ish

tabs.PNG

One benefit of an iOS device being used as the head unit is that you can use Torque Pro while driving.

Yeah, I bought dashcommand a few years back for android and it worked well. Maybe if this works well I might move up to a 10 inch iPad and figure out an external mounting option. Might look a bit odd though, but too big!

One benefit of an iOS device being used as the head unit is that you can use Torque Pro while driving.
Thanks, I didn't realise Torque is nowadays available in iOS. I've been using Car Scanner and pretty happy with that but now I probably have to check out Torque as well.

Thanks, I didn't realise Torque is nowadays available in iOS. I've been using Car Scanner and pretty happy with that but now I probably have to check out Torque as well.
I went to find out who told me about it in another thread and it turns out it was… you!
:)

I’m not Android user but Carista plug can be used as a generic OBD2 adapter. You should be able to use Torque or other Android apps for dashboarding - Carista even lists some compatible ones: Supported Apps

I went to find out who told me about it in another thread and it turns out it was… you!
:)
:laugh: Yeah, on Android!

I've used Torque some years ago on Android and it's a good app - but I had no idea it has made it's way to iOS some 7 months ago according to version history!

IMG_4131.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CJW
Ah - I see :D

I looked at the apple app store and just assuuuuuuumed. :0

So latest update, new tabs on and with a bit of jigory and pokers its all on and looking good. it needs a wet sand and then a rattle can running over it, however i might yet make a flat facia cover for the front. undecided. anyway. fits well now.

Next phase is to get the sound coming through the speakers or bluetooth.. will see which I prefer. also, might need to jailbreak ipad as I will like a permanent on screen volume control

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Back