Fitting a Nextbase Dashcam - video

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
I’ve just fitted one of these and found this guy’s video very useful for working out which fuse to piggy back on, where to conveniently pick up the earth point and also routing the wiring.

Big thanks to Del (massive) for his very informative thread about picking up power
LINKY
:thumbsup:

My cable route was
Camera mounted just to the n/s of the rear view mirror
Cable along the headlining/ screen join
Down the inside of the N/S A pillar
Behind the black airbag panel - pick up the earth there as per video
Red cable then down to bottom of passenger glove box assembly
Along the join with the black vent panel,
Tuck inside the fuse box cover
Viola!

Check out the vid first and then these points to notewill make more sense.

1. Use proper trim tools. Some of the plastics are quite a tight fit and need a hefty tug, using a blunt metal tool as I’ve always previously done WILL damage your panels.

2. The headlining can be gently prized away from the screen and the wire easily tucked beneath the join

3. Take a pic of the fuse board beforehand!

4. The centre column of fuses are switched, I used the top one, a 15amp, to piggy back from.

5. You don’t have to remove the nearside A pillar completely, but you need to take the grab handle off to obtain the flex in the panel to tuck the cable under.

6. I bundled the cable together and zip tied the bundle, wedging it in the soundproofing- make sure the excess cable won’t rattle or fall out.

7. With care you can feed the positive cable under the black plastic vent panel that abuts up to the grey passenger glove box assembly

DO NOT SWITCH THE IGNITION ON IF YOUVE DISCONNECTED THE SIRBAG CONNECTOR (and you can carefully work with it connected anyway!)

I presume that the camer comes on with the ingition useing that fuse point. I asked VW if they could fit mine but was told it would take two hours labor, seems a little high for me and I doubt it takes that long to fit. How does the grab handel come off. They fitted the plug in one for the ciggy lighter for nothing.

Hi
Can’t remember the grab handle without looking, but it took me about 35 minutes from opening the box to tidying up.

First time and I’m no mechanic - (VW won’t be using a mechanic either!)

It was really easy peasy.

I presume that the camer comes on with the ingition useing that fuse point. I asked VW if they could fit mine but was told it would take two hours labor, seems a little high for me and I doubt it takes that long to fit. How does the grab handel come off. They fitted the plug in one for the ciggy lighter for nothing.
Prise the cover off the front from the bottom and you'll see two torx screws top and bottom.

Where are you.... local to me ??

(Harrow NW London)
Nearer Reading. No worry now had a look and it looks east, I friend of mine where I used to work cna help me as he has a T5 he is really anal over is van and smpent sloads on in

The fuse box in the T6.1 appears to be a lot bigger and not so straightforward (no obvious "centre line" of switched fuses).

The first fuse I pulled was for the airbag, et voila! An airbag warning light.

can you post a couple of pics of the T6.1 fusebox here?

Lol..... not sarcastic... just surprised it's so different.

T6.1 ... so it's just a dash and electric steering, and lane assist....etc that are new.

Lol..... not sarcastic... just surprised it's so different.

T6.1 ... so it's just a dash and electric steering, and lane assist....etc that are new.

Which is why hardwiring my dashcam has so far proved impossible.

If anyone has any ideas on how to figure out which fuse to piggyback, please do share!

You need to do a bit of investigation with a multi meter to see which fuse is live with the ignition on and dead with it off. I'd start with this row. You'll be able to get a tester probe into the clip in the empty slots to test.
InkedIMG_20200207_070909_LI.jpg

These vans are a real love hate thing. It can feel like vw likes to be awkward on purpose by not giving an explanation of what fuse is what.

Good video btw.

And where is the fuse removal key kept? I didn't know they existed!

These vans are a real love hate thing. It can feel like vw likes to be awkward on purpose by not giving an explanation of what fuse is what.

Good video btw.

And where is the fuse removal key kept? I didn't know they existed!
Agree with u all on the vans hate thing about the fuse box with no explanations, how will u know which fuse to change if for example one of the lights not working? just checking them all?, also another thing I find very annoying is no green light on the cluster to show u that the driving and the head light are on, ( the green light found in the cheaper cars) and the facts that the light on the vw t6 are c..p sometime u don't know if they are on or off. other than these annoying things I love my camper really

Back