"How to" fibre optic star look roof lining

p6raf

T6 Pro
My son has severe cerabral palsy and as the van is primarily for his use. I wanted to make travelling a sensory experience for him. I remember seeing a rolls Royce on Top Gear that used fibre optics and decided that's what I wanted for him.
After watching various YouTube videos I decided to give it a go.
There are complete kits out there but buying the individual components suited my plans better
Firstly the fibre optic cable. Lots of different choices here...mostly thickness, quantity and length. As my rear roof lining is it 2 pieces I bought 1 optic loom 4m long (front panel) and the other 3m. I opted for all strands .75mm and 280 strands for both looms.
I got mine here...

Next is the light source, again loads to choose from. Most impressive light source have a "twinkle" effect. This means at times some optics are off completely. This is actually simply controlled by a rotating disk with holes in that sits in front of the leds. I opted for a twin output one. 20220810_183204.jpg

This is the smallest one I found and fits nicely inside the rear quarter panel. This was then wired into a small fuse box I installed and covered with a USB port by the rear bench area.
Then comes to time consuming part. Once the roof lining was removed I marked out where I wanted each of the 280 (per panel) optics. Next using a 1mm drill bit I drilled through each mark, feed 1 strand through and hot glue gunned it in place. Do not use superglue, as I first did, as it makes the optic brittle and easily snaps off.
Get comfortable cos this takes around 3 hours each panel
Once all the individual strands are through and glued, it's simply a case of carefully fitting the lining back and feeding the loom along the side of the roof and down the rear pillar to the light source. Finally trim and excess with nail clippers or fine side cutters.

20220810_183148.jpg

20220810_183910.jpg

20220810_183351.jpg

20220720_195824.jpg

20220720_195812.jpg

20220810_183624.jpg

20220810_214456.jpg

20220810_214358.jpg

20220810_214525.jpg

My son has severe cerabral palsy and as the van is primarily for his use. I wanted to make travelling a sensory experience for him. I remember seeing a rolls Royce on Top Gear that used fibre optics and decided that's what I wanted for him.
There are complete kits out there but buying the individual components suited my plans better
Firstly the fibre optic cable. Lots of different choices here...mostly thickness, quantity and length. As my rear roof lining is it 2 pieces I bought 1 optic loom 4m long (front panel) and the other 3m. I opted for all strands .75mm and 280 strands for both looms.
I got mine here...

Next is the light source, again loads to choose from. Most impressive light source have a "twinkle" effect. This means at times some optics are off completely. This is actually simply controlled by a rotating disk with holes in that sits in front of the leds. I opted for a twin output one. View attachment 168565

This is the smallest one I found and fits nicely inside the rear quarter panel. This was then wired into a small fuse box I installed and covered with a USB port by the rear bench area.
Then comes to time consuming part. Once the roof lining was removed I marked out where I wanted each of the 280 (per panel) optics. Next using a 1mm drill bit I drilled through each mark, feed 1 strand through and hot glue gunned it in place. Do not use superglue, as I first did, as it makes the optic brittle and easily snaps off.
Once all the individual strands are through and glued, it's simply a case of carefully fitting the lining back and feeding the loom along the side of the roof and down the rear pillar to the light source. Finally trim and excess with nail clippers or fine side cutters.

View attachment 168566

View attachment 168567

View attachment 168568

View attachment 168569

View attachment 168570

View attachment 168571

View attachment 168572

View attachment 168573

View attachment 168574
Amazing… and you have patience that I could only dream of. Great project and I’m sure you’re son definitely appreciates it

Beautiful job and amazingly so simple (apart from drilling the holes and fitting the fibre’s). Thanks for sharing

I got mine here...

Next is the light source, again loads to choose from. Most impressive light source have a "twinkle" effect. This means at times some optics are off completely. This is actually simply controlled by a rotating disk with holes in that sits in front of the leds. I opted for a twin output one. View attachment 168565

View attachment 168566

View attachment 168567

View attachment 168568

View attachment 168569

View attachment 168570

View attachment 168571

View attachment 168572

View attachment 168573

View attachment 168574
Looks fantastic. Im sure your son loves it. I am thinking about this, (using a star map for the right places). I currently working at a school for children with Autism, Im sure this would go down great in one of their sensory rooms.

The starlight headliner development is one of my responsibilities (I work for RR), and I've seen some shocking copies. This one looks really good and is similar to our first generation, which used fibre optics bundled into one bright LED source. The latter ones have an individual LED for each fibre which allows us to be more creative with lighting patterns.

My only recommendation, glue each fibre on the back surface. With vibration and movement, they will fall out, so we glue every fibre to the back surface.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever done this to a pop top roof? I assume it would be roughly the same process. Would it make any difference with people sleeping on top of the fibres? I was thinking you'd have to put some sort of foam mat down on top of the fibres and under the mattress to protect them?

Has anyone ever done this to a pop top roof? I assume it would be roughly the same process. Would it make any difference with people sleeping on top of the fibres? I was thinking you'd have to put some sort of foam mat down on top of the fibres and under the mattress to protect them?
I was thinking the same thing, only problem would be the extra height needed for the layter above the fibres, I'm having a Skylow roof fitted in a couple of weeks, which as far as I can see, is going to make this a no-go for me...
I think you could do it by having another layer of ply above the original but it would likely need seperation, standing off the lower sheet by 10mm maybe, just to allow the fibres to bend down as opposed to squashing them together between the two boards. That's only a guess, you could try it out before you install but with a body's weight squashing two boards together makes the alarm bells in my head start ringing!

The guys who install the fibre optics would likely have a better idea about their durability, so like my wife says, no harm in asking. :)

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, only problem would be the extra height needed for the layter above the fibres, I'm having a Skylow roof fitted in a couple of weeks, which as far as I can see, is going to make this a no-go for me...
I think you could do it by having abother layer of ply above the original but it would likely need seperation, standing off the loweer sheet by 10mm maybe, just to allow the fibres to bend down as opposed to squashing them together between the two boards. That's only a guess, you could try it out before you install but with a body's weight squashing two boards together makes the alarm bells in my head start ringing!

The guys who install the fibre optics would likely have a better idea about their durability, so like my wife says, no harm in asking. :)
I did it myself in the end. Couldn't find anyone to do it, so gave it a go instead. Actually turned out alright I think :)

Picture of my Starry Nights

I've had the bottom of the board carpeted to match the van but left the top face plain. I ran the fibres on the top face of the ply and run them to the back of the van to one point in the middle where the controller and power hooks on to the strands. I glued each fibre into the 1mm hole to stop them from moving and then taped them all down. I then put a piece of 10mm carpet underlay on top of all the fibres to help protect them and keep them flat (ish!). If anyone is sleeping up there, they'll be a mattress and a Vango California pop top mattress up there. I was up there just on the underlay and could only just feel the fibres, so with 2 mattresses up there as well, you shouldn't feel a thing...

Sounds similar to ours, sad to say I didn't do it but it was what sold my Mrs the van! Thin foam on top of the push up bed board in the pop top, carpeted over, no fibres can be detected when you're up there. Many colours and effects from the top quality Chinese app!

20231212_164623.jpg

20231212_164900.jpg

Back