First Time Van Owner (no Idea Why I Waited So Long).

highwaycollective

T6 Pro
I have been lurking on the forum for a few months, and I have to say it has been an invaluable help as I get going with my first van. I have owned VW's my whole life, and have done loved owning and driving everything from a MK1 Caddy, to various generations of the GTI. I have wanted a Van for years now, and in December I took deliver of a brand new T6 Kombi Highline. Below are some pics as I received it.

t6_day1_front1.jpg
t6_day1_side.jpg

After spending hours on here it was clear that that the B14 and Roll Bar needed to be done, and I would like to thank the various folks on here who answered all my questions and messages about suspension, wheels, and tyres. It was a huge help in deciding what route to go.

Suspension.jpg

The Bilstien and H&R kit as it arrived. Wheels was a bit of a nightmare as there isn't much out there that is correctly rated, but I eventually settled on Amarok alloys and I am really pleased with the result. I think they look spot on when paired up with the vehicle, and I like the fact that they are an original VW item. Below is how the van is sitting now.

t6_transporter_front_angle_LR.jpg
t6_transporter_side_right_LR.jpg
t6_transporter_side_left_LR.jpg

I have only had the suspension and wheels on for a few days but I am really pleased with the ride. Its so much better than standard, even with it lowered. I might lift the back up a little, or drop the nose a touch, and with family and bikes in the back it doesn't sit perfectly level, but other than that I am really happy with it.

There are plenty of other things on the to do list, and I would like to tidy up the interior over time as well, but for now I am really looking forward to getting some miles on it.

Thanks again to everyone who answered all of my noob questions. ;)

I have been lurking on the forum for a few months, and I have to say it has been an invaluable help as I get going with my first van. I have owned VW's my whole life, and have done loved owning and driving everything from a MK1 Caddy, to various generations of the GTI. I have wanted a Van for years now, and in December I took deliver of a brand new T6 Kombi Highline. Below are some pics as I received it.

View attachment 39125
View attachment 39126

After spending hours on here it was clear that that the B14 and Roll Bar needed to be done, and I would like to thank the various folks on here who answered all my questions and messages about suspension, wheels, and tyres. It was a huge help in deciding what route to go.

View attachment 39127

The Bilstien and H&R kit as it arrived. Wheels was a bit of a nightmare as there isn't much out there that is correctly rated, but I eventually settled on Amarok alloys and I am really pleased with the result. I think they look spot on when paired up with the vehicle, and I like the fact that they are an original VW item. Below is how the van is sitting now.

View attachment 39128
View attachment 39129
View attachment 39130

I have only had the suspension and wheels on for a few days but I am really pleased with the ride. Its so much better than standard, even with it lowered. I might lift the back up a little, or drop the nose a touch, and with family and bikes in the back it doesn't sit perfectly level, but other than that I am really happy with it.

There are plenty of other things on the to do list, and I would like to tidy up the interior over time as well, but for now I am really looking forward to getting some miles on it.

Thanks again to everyone who answered all of my noob questions. ;)

That gap looks perfect - what did you drop the B14's down by and what size tyres have you fitted to the 19" Cantara Amarok alloys?
I have a set myself that I plan to fit after I get the van back from the converters, I have already fitted 245/45/19's, rather than the 255/55/19s as originally on the rims.

That gap looks perfect - what did you drop the B14's down by and what size tyres have you fitted to the 19" Cantara Amarok alloys?
I have a set myself that I plan to fit after I get the van back from the converters, I have already fitted 245/45/19's, rather than the 255/55/19s as originally on the rims.

The rears are wound all the way down in these pics, and the front has about 10mm thread left to go. You could get the back about 12mm lower by removing the adjusters if you wished. Van is empty in the shots so if you have had a conversion done you should probably wind the rears up 10-15mm to get it sitting the same as this. Tyres are 245/45/19 102xl.

Thanks for that update.

I need to save some pennies for the B14 set up - I was thinking of just having H & R -40mm lowering springs, but after seeing what you have done I am thinking of waiting untill the bank balance gets back in the black before lowering.

I wish I had more money to spend - why oh why is the VW bug so addictive?

Thanks for that update.

I need to save some pennies for the B14 set up - I was thinking of just having H & R -40mm lowering springs, but after seeing what you have done I am thinking of waiting untill the bank balance gets back in the black before lowering.

I wish I had more money to spend - why oh why is the VW bug so addictive?

Honestly, it is worth waiting until you can get B14's. With springs you have to live with what you get, and the ability to adjust the coilovers over time to compensate for changes in your van setup is invaluable. I kept mine stock height until I could afford a decent setup and I am glad I did now.

Have done a few more jobs on the van this past week. First up was sound proofing and insulating the rear. Decided not to go down the carpet route as I throw muddy bikes in the back all the time, and the carpet lining would be ruined in not time at all. as such I just used siletcoat on all of the sheet metal, and then filled the cavities with loft insulation.

van-insulation-1.jpg

van-insulation-2.jpg

I used a lot less that a lot of other people have done, but it has worked incredibly well regardless. Given the cost of the materials vs the result I am really happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the loft insulation as I was pressed for time and short on help, but it has made a huge difference for the people sitting in the back of the van.

van-arch-cover.jpg

Before I put it all back together I also fitted some plastic arch covers. Instead of covering the arches in silentcoat, I stuck felt fabric to the inside of the arch covers. It has prevented any rattle or vibration coming through and was quick and easy to do.

van-golf-seal1.jpg

van-golf-seal2.jpg

Finally I also fitted the "sounds like a golf" seals from THQ. For £15 quid these were an awesome addition and the tinny sound of closing the doors has completely gone. Its such a silly little thing but the sound of the doors is now really satisfying haha.

Next up is trying to get the rattle out of the drivers armrest, and the squeak / creak out of the drivers chair. Both are driving me nuts!

spacers.jpg

Spacers for the rear wheels arrived today. The Amarok wheels tuck more at the rear than the front, so hopefully these help even everything out. I have a feeling 10mm would have been perfect, but 15mm is the narrowest you can go for hub centric spacers on a T6. I am flat out at work at the moment so will probably only get round to fitting them over the weekend. Fingers crossed they get the van sitting how I want.

Spacers fitted today and I am really pleased with the result. I was worried the 15mm spacers would be too much, but they have pushed the rear wheels out so that they match the fronts perfectly. The van is really dirty so will clean it over the weekend and take some better pics.

Before I bought the spacers I couldn't find any reference pics of how much the 15mm spacers would push my wheels out, so for the benefit of others in the future below are some before and after pics of each side.

T6_Highline_15mm_spacers_left.jpg

T6_Highline_15mm_spacers_right.jpg

I have been getting creaking from under the driver's seat for a few weeks now. Its been killing me so finally got the seat off today, and attacked the underside with spray oil. Fingers crossed its solved.

That said, when I was looking at how to remove the seat, a lot of people suggested undoing the 4 bolts on the base and then disconnecting the handbrake. It tried that and getting the handbrake off was a PITA. I ended up just undoing the 4 bolts that hold the seat rails on to the base and it was much easier. Just a heads up to others who might be trying to do the same.

van-seat.jpg

Back