Sliding doors not locking

danny1313

Finally gotten around to having a look at why the rear sliding doors on the 2016 Kombi I've recently brought aren't locking, at all, neither of them.

Had a good search on the forum and my first thing I did was check the contacts, cleaned them with fibreglass pen but didn't think this was an issue as my dash always showed the doors as closed.

I've always been a bit baffled as to why there was no lock push button on my sliding door handles, but just figured it was down to the spec of the van.

Took the door card off, and the door handle cover kind of fell off, showing what looks like a lock rod. Give the rod a yank and the door locks - first time since I've owned the van.

So I'm now wondering whether I have totally wrong handle covers that maybe trap the lock rod and prevent the door locking.

Pics attached - does anyone know if my handle covers are indeed wrong or have a clue what might be going on?

video here

IMG_6870.jpeg
IMG_6871.jpeg
IMG_6874.jpeg
IMG_6875.jpeg

Id say you have the wrong trims around the handle. There should be a button that the clear plastic top of that rod slides into. Maybe the lock button rod has been bent inside the door and is preventing the lock locking. Can you remove the rod and see if the door locks then?

yeh thats what I was thinking, seems odd to not have a locking button when the rest of the mechanism is there!

I may have fixed it by just popping the covers back on aligning the locking rod into the space behind the trim clip. Not sure how long they'll keep working or whether it'll jump back out.

Will google some similar spec vans adverts to see if they have the same handles

1676553898733.png

Back