Metallic squealing front drivers side

Lubrown

T6 Guru
Hi all, currently in France for another week with our t5.1 (2014 t28 102) and I have a squeal/squeak from the front drivers side. At first thought it was a stone caught between the disc and backplate but not convinced.

I notice it when manoeuvring at slow speeds with the window open but also coming off at motorway slips with bends… but not when going round the island at the top.

I’ve had the wheels full lock either way for a look - all CV joints are sound with no apparent leakage of grease either. I did spot the top rubber seals around the drop/link bars are split. Ball joints still appear greased and clean but a split seal isn’t good so I’ll get those replaced on my return. Could that be the noise or is there anything else to consider? Limited with what I can do here just with standard jack and wheel brace.

It’s on OE springs (all look fine) so stock height and had the Koni special active from @CRS Performance probably around a year ago. Still rides well. Wheels aren’t becoming excessively hot and both front discs are as hot as each other.

Only other thing is occasionally it will feel a bit wayward when cornering but I think that’s just with it being a fully converted camper on normal ARBs.

not keen on trying my pigeon French at a local garage (or being without the van for a day) so hoping it can wait until we are back home.

Any thoughts?
Cheers

Drop link noise would normally be a clacking as you're driving slowly, a dry squeal followed by graunching is often worn out brake pad backing metal coming into contact with the disc, you'll see this on the disc too, check both faces on each disc front and back wheels.
Wayward handling on the other hand sounds more like worn or split bushes on the suspension, how's tyre wear?

Hi all, currently in France for another week with our t5.1 (2014 t28 102) and I have a squeal/squeak from the front drivers side. At first thought it was a stone caught between the disc and backplate but not convinced.

I notice it when manoeuvring at slow speeds with the window open but also coming off at motorway slips with bends… but not when going round the island at the top.

I’ve had the wheels full lock either way for a look - all CV joints are sound with no apparent leakage of grease either. I did spot the top rubber seals around the drop/link bars are split. Ball joints still appear greased and clean but a split seal isn’t good so I’ll get those replaced on my return. Could that be the noise or is there anything else to consider? Limited with what I can do here just with standard jack and wheel brace.

It’s on OE springs (all look fine) so stock height and had the Koni special active from @CRS Performance probably around a year ago. Still rides well. Wheels aren’t becoming excessively hot and both front discs are as hot as each other.

Only other thing is occasionally it will feel a bit wayward when cornering but I think that’s just with it being a fully converted camper on normal ARBs.

not keen on trying my pigeon French at a local garage (or being without the van for a day) so hoping it can wait until we are back home.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
I had a very similar noise a couple of weeks ago that started after driving along a very narrow Cornish lane. The noise didn't change with engine revs so ruled out auxiliary belt and was only apparent at low speeds. I noticed under braking the noise would go so was then convinced there was an object stuck in one of the discs. After the drive home from Cornwall via the M5 the noise had gone so the object must have worked free.

I have exactly the same thing at the moment, rh lock at slow speed. I've recently upgraded to o 340mm t32 brakes. Same symptoms and sand checks done as you so hopefully will clear itself.

Auxiliary pulley bearing wearing? I had mine replaced at 40k miles. If it is that it will develop into squeaky noise at idle at some point.

Thanks all. ATM it’s gone quiet. I checked the discs - no obvious scoring from worn pads. Aux belt was changed along with the cam belt not too long ago (just due to age rather than mileage) and the noise doesn’t relate to revs so I don’t think it’s the belt and I hope it’s not the bearing.
Maybe I just keep picking up the odd bit of debris between backing plate and disc.
I’m keeping everything crossed that it stays quiet, at least until we return to the UK. Had enough excitement already on this trip with a test of the French hospital system :rolleyes:

Did you get anywhere with this? Mine has just started the same thing on driver side generally when turning left but can hear it faintly driving straight

Hi, no still doing it, going to pop to CRS and ask Steve to have a look, brakes work fine just an annoying noise

Mine is still squeaking but the brakes feel superb. Going to pop in to CRS and have a chat with Steve and see what he says

I had something similar on my T5 - turned to be the top mount on the strut. The rubber was shot and resulted in metal-on-metal contact; it only did it randomly…

Back