Dual Mass Flywheel Gone After 52k

Yes van still with them now, picking up this PM, Hope there not telling everyone that to get around changing the DMF!!

It won’t go that soon you could get another 10k or more until it gets really noisy. Are you looking at getting extended warranty ?

vw at Thornaby told me that all DSG gearbox flywheels make a noise at cold start. Maybe we need to get together and see if it is the same type of noise.

Yes they tried to convince me that it’s normal too, and they see it all the time apparently with the dsg. The girl at the desk also said it’s only manuals that have issues with the DMF !

Thing is when I took it in it was quieter that morning!! I’ll to try to get a vid on here tomorrow With the noise.

Just had my flywheel changed today. £1800 cost and was with them (vw colindale) for two days. 79.5k miles, was noisy when cold and could feel the rattle through the steering wheel. As others mentioned it’ll go away when in D or R but too noisy & rattling when Parked/neutral. Hopefully it’ll last just as much or longer.

Start / Stop inertia and momentum must play a part in degrading the DMF springs.

FWIW: i had a new DMF at 40K (warranty)

i knew the start of the sound so pushed the point with the dealer. - they agreed it was early . . . but done it FOC as warranty. ( my sound was faint - but there)

tick, tick,tick, . . .rattle, rattle, tick, tick, rattle, chatter. . . . . .

apparently the front engine mount is split as well . . . . . to be looked at next time. (204ps MY18 Heavy)

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
My 2017 204 manual has 46K under it's belt and the DMF is knocking. Getting it done in a few weeks...but has to be genuine VW DMF as there don't seem to be any after-market suppliers (unless anyone know one?) I'm not getting it done by VW though....labour rate is off the scale!

Out of interest, my previous T5.1 did 110K with me and now has 130K and no issues with the DMF.....

My 2017 204 manual has 46K under it's belt and the DMF is knocking. Getting it done in a few weeks...but has to be genuine VW DMF as there don't seem to be any after-market suppliers (unless anyone know one?) I'm not getting it done by VW though....labour rate is off the scale!

Out of interest, my previous T5.1 did 110K with me and now has 130K and no issues with the DMF.....
On something like a DMF which involves a lot of labour I'd always go for genuine VW parts anyway - not worth skimping.

The original genuine VW DMF didn’t last very long, what’s the chance of another branded DMF being worse?
I’d be ‘kin livid if I had a DMF fail so soon.

My 2016 Euro5 T6 is a 6 speed manual with 50k on the clock and has just started making a knocking from under the centre of the cab floor. Only seems to happen when I depress the clutch quickly or when setting off in reverse. No problems once driving. Is this the DMF or could it be an engine mount? My local Indy said they couldn’t see anything but thinking of taking it to VW for a £90 inspection.

My 2016 Euro5 T6 is a 6 speed manual with 50k on the clock and has just started making a knocking from under the centre of the cab floor. Only seems to happen when I depress the clutch quickly or when setting off in reverse. No problems once driving. Is this the DMF or could it be an engine mount? My local Indy said they couldn’t see anything but thinking of taking it to VW for a £90 inspection.
I would be wary of paying for an inspection at a garage that could make money from any fault they "find"...

Do T28/30/32 DSG’s all have the same DMF? Just curious.
From Self Study Programme 564, 2L T6 TDI.
There are two types of DMF fitted;
ZF: good for 500Nm fitted in the 150Kw.
LUK: 450Nm.
I have no idea what MY vans this is valid for.
Something to be taken into account when mapping engines for more power, or maybe not...

5E78AB29-56BA-4C6E-B387-6AFBB75CC5FF.png

C966A4A4-28CF-4525-85E5-01700A072AA3.png

Back