Dual Mass Flywheel Gone After 52k

Flywheel is covered, according to the document
Alas, i was under the impression that a DMF was a 'wear and tear item' - i do wonder wether though if the common use of them now is reason to not consider them a 'wear and tear item' more a an integral and rarely failing componnent over the life of the vehice - Like a single mass flywheel (which unless subjected to extreme heating and cooling either/and/or - which could last the life of the engine - normally a skim or replacment might be needed at the second or thrid clutch change, if at all.

or wether they still are a wear and tear item but to which the extent of which it is considered wear and tear may be a discretionary term considered at time of claim in conjuction with general condition of the vehicle and its service hsitory...

My flywheel is rattling on my 2017 DSG I booked it in with vw and they told me it was the flywheel at am and at pm I got a call saying that DSG flywheel does make a noise and come in and our technician will explain to you more about it. Lol I don’t no what to do or should I say they don’t know what they are doing.

The DSG will start as a slight rattle when cold ....

Then

Progressing to a full on tractor rattle and clang all the time on tick over.

I had one on 2011 t5.1 85k

Its about £850...

So how bad is it?

Maybe take it to them and see what they say.

Can you get a sound/video clip recorded?

I think it’s early days yet at cold starts. £850 is a good price what garage is that price from? VW want £1150 with a two year warranty on parts

I find it striking that we seem to regard these types of faults as "normal". I say this because years ago I had two consecutive cars, a Volvo 850T5 and a Ford Galaxy, which I drove for over 200 thousand miles, in each car. The only failings I had were CV joints, brake components, etc, i.e. the things you'd expect.
The Galaxy was a 6 speed manual and it never had a new clutch or DMF in two hundred thousand miles.
I don't think it's acceptable for people who pay for a premium product to be having DMF failures at the mileages and ages mentioned in this thread.

I find it striking that we seem to regard these types of faults as "normal". I say this because years ago I had two consecutive cars, a Volvo 850T5 and a Ford Galaxy, which I drove for over 200 thousand miles, in each car. The only failings I had were CV joints, brake components, etc, i.e. the things you'd expect.
The Galaxy was a 6 speed manual and it never had a new clutch or DMF in two hundred thousand miles.
I don't think it's acceptable for people who pay for a premium product to be having DMF failures at the mileages and ages mentioned in this thread.
Same here, seems that the Transporter crowd are a forgiving lot. My A4 TDI has a clutch and DMF renewal at 200K miles and that’s with approx’ 30K miles of trailer towing.

Thing is they are tiny little diesels for the size vehicle and there not a lot that can be done due to eu laws. Theres just a lot more stress going through the thing overall.
Dmfs wear is genrally a contribution of
Start stop traffic
Starting and turning engine off
Erratic/heavy gear changes
Erratic acceleration and deceleration
Blip on and off the throttle in (more so) or out of (less so) gear.
And these wear conditions are amplified by the weight of the vehicle x the power of the engine.
A simple 'mines done 200k yours has only done 80k' isnt a fair comparison. City driving in itself is about 8 to 10 times more wearing on a vehicle than just motorway or my simply 'steady rate' driving.
If a t6 round here was used just for ferrying people to and from Heathrow (about a 300/350mile round trip) with 6 passengers and all their luggage, I'd say the dmf would be fine at least until the end of the 3 year warranty.
However, as a taxi in swindon.. I doubt it. Probably would start clicking at about 60-100k.

I still agree it shouldn't fail given the price at retail, however. It is a little eh.
Unfortunately, if you want or need an auto van.. the germans do do a better gearbox than ford... it's a slim market in which the majority of stock is sold as manual.

Thing is they are tiny little diesels for the size vehicle and there not a lot that can be done due to eu laws. Theres just a lot more stress going through the thing overall.
Dmfs wear is genrally a contribution of
Start stop traffic
Starting and turning engine off
Erratic/heavy gear changes
Erratic acceleration and deceleration
Blip on and off the throttle in (more so) or out of (less so) gear.
And these wear conditions are amplified by the weight of the vehicle x the power of the engine.
A simple 'mines done 200k yours has only done 80k' isnt a fair comparison. City driving in itself is about 8 to 10 times more wearing on a vehicle than just motorway or my simply 'steady rate' driving.
If a t6 round here was used just for ferrying people to and from Heathrow (about a 300/350mile round trip) with 6 passengers and all their luggage, I'd say the dmf would be fine at least until the end of the 3 year warranty.
However, as a taxi in swindon.. I doubt it. Probably would start clicking at about 60-100k.
You've got people posting on here that they've needed a new DMF at 22K miles, one at 40K miles and one at 52K miles. Yes, the engine size is limited by emissions laws, but that doesn't stop VW making a DMF that can survive a reasonable length of time.

If The failure rate is pre 60k at a rate of 5percent, then I might agree that the build quality should be better.
I'm looking at the massive buyback ford is having to do with their Dual clutch transmissions.....

Its about £850...

So how bad is it?

Maybe take it to them and see what they say.

Can you get a sound/video clip recorded?
Dellmassive did you get a quote for £850 for replacement of flywheel or did you actually pay that much ?

My flywheel is rattling on my 2017 DSG I booked it in with vw and they told me it was the flywheel at am and at pm I got a call saying that DSG flywheel does make a noise and come in and our technician will explain to you more about it. Lol I don’t no what to do or should I say they don’t know what they are doing.

Booked mine in 2017 DSG with VW as i had a chattering/rattle on cold start up. Just been told that the DSG is okay and its normal to have that noise on the DSG when engine is cold. No fly wheel issues! :rolleyes: Quote from VW report below...

1598010118356.png

They did change Aux belt and tensioner under warranty though so its not all bad....

Booked mine in 2017 DSG with VW as i had a chattering/rattle on cold start up. Just been told that the DSG is okay and its normal to have that noise on the DSG when engine is cold. No fly wheel issues! :rolleyes: Quote from VW report below...

View attachment 82200

They did change Aux belt and tensioner under warranty though so its not all bad....
That’s all good then just like mine :thumbsup:

Back