Dual Mass Flywheel Gone After 52k

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I took our van to the local VW comercial centre on monday to get the sliding door fixed under warranty, I also mentioned to them about a knocking noise from the engine. Turns out its the Dual mass flywheel that has gone, i'm glad its happened whilst still under warranty otherwise it would have turned out quite expensive.
VWT6
102Bhp
52k miles

I took our van to the local VW comercial centre on monday to get the sliding door fixed under warranty, I also mentioned to them about a knocking noise from the engine. Turns out its the Dual mass flywheel that has gone, i'm glad its happened whilst still under warranty otherwise it would have turned out quite expensive.
VWT6
102Bhp
52k miles
Mine went at 40k but it was out of warranty

Had my car before last for 14 years and never had a problem with the engine at all - just servicing. Did 100K or so in it. Should a commercial vehicle engine run in to troubles so early?

Had my car before last for 14 years and never had a problem with the engine at all - just servicing. Did 100K or so in it. Should a commercial vehicle engine run in to troubles so early?
The dual mass flywheel have been very problematic on many vehicles not only commercial! It’s pretty common

It's just a normal vw setup, in a van...

Probably doesn't help with the weight of the van in all fairness

Last edited:
Problem doesn't help with the weight of the van

Not sure the weight of the van has anything to do with the dual mass weight system going faulty. o_O They do not do any work other than change position with rotational speed.

Not sure the weight of the van has anything to do with the dual mass weight system going faulty. o_O They do not do any work other than change position with rotational speed.
Course it does, think about it backwards, dual mass flywheels are constantly doing work hence more load you put through the drive train, more work they have to do.

Obviously a heavy van with short gearing will put a lot more load through the drivetrain then a Golf as example.

It's the same reason cars with big turbo conversions I.E. Lots of torque, have to go for single mass flywheels

We got our van back today, DMF replaced under warranty. They said the clutch was 50% worn and did i want to replace (not under warranty) it whilst everything was in bits. I didn't see the point of it was only 50% worn.
We are very happy with the work done by VW commercial @ cleckheaton

In my opinion there must be an inherent problem with T6 DMF’s if they are failing so early.
I also have a 115PS 1.9 A4 TDI which had it’s first clutch renewal at 194K miles, the DMF was still functioning without noise but was renewed along with the clutch. This car has not had an easy life as has been towing and highly loaded.

Hi everyone I think my dmf is going to be going on it’s way out. How much does it cost I have a 2017 150 DSG 67k. Will a extended VW warranty cover it it’s only done 67k ?

Back