Dual Mass Flywheel Gone After 52k

My 2017 6 speed manual 35k miles has just started with the knocking noise after I stalled the van the other week, I stalled it restarted and there was a scraping noise which went after acceleration, now on tick over with the clutch out it’s making a noise which seems to be less when the clutch is engaged, and I can feel it in the clutch peddle, it was really rattling last week when I booked it in to smg Croydon for the end of this month, today it doesn’t seem so bad but there is still a noise and i can still feel it in the peddle. Lucky I took out the extended warranty last year from vw commercial, I have just had a renewal quote from them for £377, I might get it a little cheaper if I reduce the mileage down from 15k to 5k.

Just took my 2017 T6 to local VW for a service at 75k. They told me the flywheel was knocking and are replacing it under warranty. Is this an extended warranty item and r are they doing an “as required” product recall on these?

That's interesting.

Standard warranty is 3 years.

Factory extended warranty is additional 2yrs.

No product recal afaik.

You need to ask the garage what warranty cover is paying for it, as the garage will be charging someone for the work. And it would need to have been authorised.

Good will gestures can be called upon, but normally include a 50/50 Payment.

I took our van to the local VW comercial centre on monday to get the sliding door fixed under warranty, I also mentioned to them about a knocking noise from the engine. Turns out its the Dual mass flywheel that has gone, i'm glad its happened whilst still under warranty otherwise it would have turned out quite expensive.
VWT6
102Bhp
52k miles
Just had to have my flywheel replaced on VWT6 with only 31,000 miles on clock..it’s under warranty but very surprised it’s gone so soon..was expecting 80,000 miles

Just had to have my flywheel replaced on VWT6 with only 31,000 miles on clock..it’s under warranty but very surprised it’s gone so soon..was expecting 80,000 miles
Dont be surprised I had mine changed at 22,000 they're rubbish , the clutch was fine but obviously changed it as a matter of course

The Stop / Start function will reduce the life of the DMF springs due to the momentum / inertia.
Only some of the Transporter engine types are equipped with a set of balancer shafts, the others are not as well balanced and this may well be influencing the DMF spring life.

The Stop / Start function will reduce the life of the DMF springs due to the momentum / inertia.
An interesting thought. I wonder how this relatively infrequent and short term load compares to the constant lower amplitude oscillations when sat at idle (with stop start disabled). I had always assumed that DMF failure was a result of spring fatigue but which of these two scenarios is more damaging?..

Last edited:
Changing one today at work. Not a bad job to change but this one done only 33k. Friction plate is 50% the smf has proper gone. 1000011404.jpg

I'll fish it out of the scrap tomorrow. I have a video of the DMF play. Yeah it's LUK clutch, we replaced with LUK.
Genuine DMF was £200 more for the same part but without the VW logo painted on it.Also notice the crack around the centre.
Here's a link to video I just uoloaded of the play in DMF

On my Euro 5 DSG 2016 T6 the DMF went at 11k miles (yes eleven thousand) and 2 years 10 months old.
It was done under warranty.

I've had mine done twice, . .

about 40k and 60k - both under warranty.

yet my t5.1 lasted till 90k

not sure whats changed on the quality or design of the DMF?

1710487916132.png

1710488048441.png

My DMF is fine, as far as I can tell, but the clutch needs replaced at 78k miles. Should I replace the DMF at the same time?

IMO, Yes, it's a false economy not to, the DMF has very likely done 78K miles so it's likely to fail at some point soon.
Id agree, makes sense to do it as the DMF is likely to start rattling soon.

Back