Clutch / Dual mass rattle

Sounds like a typical franchise dealer... They deffo don't want to do it again at their cost and apparently there is a current shortage on these parts so the last thing they'll want to do is use stock up on a
Sounds like a typical franchise dealer... They deffo don't want to do it again at their cost and apparently there is a current shortage on these parts so the last thing they'll want to do is use stock up on a zero earner.
Considering I had a mate who works at SEAT diagnose the noise and there were 4 mechanics under it on a ramp and all said that doesn’t sound good. Then you get these time wasters that fob us off.. what’s the bet they don’t put it in writing

T6 DSG with 70k on the clock here and I seem to have the same issue. On idle in neutral, I hear a chattery sound come and go intermittently. Been under the van and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the clutch/flywheel. According to the history it also had these changed at low mileage (around 30k) under warranty due to a sound reported by the owner at the time.

Sound recording attached. It sounds a lot louder than it is as my phone is recoding right next to the flywheel.

Has there been any developments on why this issue tends to occur, is it conclusively the Dmf, clutch or possibly one of the bearings which has a tendancy to go?

Will it eventually go pop and cause other issues or am I ok to ignore it for now?

Are there any clutch/dmf/bearing part numbers/revisions/brands to avoid or specify to fix?

Thanks
Hi,

Did you ever get the noise resolved? I took mine into VW and they said it was normal! Mine sounds like your video clip

Hi,

Did you ever get the noise resolved? I took mine into VW and they said it was normal! Mine sounds like your video clip
No, I've since done a few thousand miles and it hasn't got any worse so going to wait to hear what they say at the next service. Seems super common and only does it at idle so I'm not panicking over it. If you do ask VW, you're pretty much guaranteed they will charge you hundreds just to 'investigate noise'...

Just be sure to get your head under there and confirm it's coming from the flywheel/clutch.

No, I've since done a few thousand miles and it hasn't got any worse so going to wait to hear what they say at the next service. Seems super common and only does it at idle so I'm not panicking over it. If you do ask VW, you're pretty much guaranteed they will charge you hundreds just to 'investigate noise'...

Just be sure to get your head under there and confirm it's coming from the flywheel/clutch.
Ok that sounds promising. I had an independent garage get it on a ramp and when you switch the engine off you can hear the fly wheel making about 3 or 4 clicks, is all I can describe it as (sound), and told me to get it replaced asap. Vw have it in on Monday so see what they say as it’s still under warranty. Chances are it’s completely fine to them as per usual

Ok that sounds promising. I had an independent garage get it on a ramp and when you switch the engine off you can hear the fly wheel making about 3 or 4 clicks, is all I can describe it as (sound), and told me to get it replaced asap. Vw have it in on Monday so see what they say as it’s still under warranty. Chances are it’s completely fine to them as per usual
I bumped into a mobile mechanic at my friend's studio yesterday and asked him about it with my van running. He said it's pretty normal for these vans as the dmf/clutch is under a lot of load for the size of the engine. Shouldn't fail, they are pretty solid units, but just a bit noisy sometimes he said.

So I'm thinking getting it changed is just a waste of cash at this stage. If it gets progressively worse/loud to a point where there is obviously too much play somewhere, I'll get it done.

Reactions: DXX
I bumped into a mobile mechanic at my friend's studio yesterday and asked him about it with my van running. He said it's pretty normal for these vans as the dmf/clutch is under a lot of load for the size of the engine. Shouldn't fail, they are pretty solid units, but just a bit noisy sometimes he said.

So I'm thinking getting it changed is just a waste of cash at this stage. If it gets progressively worse/loud to a point where there is obviously too much play somewhere, I'll get it done.
Ok, I’ve heard it’s a common thing on the t6 to a point, but I had a garage get it on a ramp for a second opinion. When you switch the engine off you can hear a rattle from the fly wheel when it winds down. The mechanic said he’s concerned about it. He wasn’t touting for work as it’s under warranty. Maybe it’s just a quirk if these engines but is worrying when you think that if it fails the cost of a DSG gear box ‍

Update, Vw just called to say it sounds normal. Just get an under tray to deaden the sound! Ha. So I said put it in writing for me as I personally don’t think a noise that wasn’t there 12 months ago is normal at all.

What do you think of this guys?

Back