Clutch / Dual mass rattle

Curryzz

T6 Pro
Good Afternoon,

Im looking for a bit of advice from more experienced T6 owners.

I bought my T6 in October 2020 with 12K miles on, it’s been in my garage at home with no use because of lockdown. Other than driving it in & out the garage to do the odd job on it.

Since the weathers been cold Iv noticed a rattle on cold start which lasts for a minimum of one or two minutes until it warms up. I can put my foot on the clutch & the rattle will go, however if I release the clutch the rattle returns until the engine has warmed up.

Iv booked it into VW to investigate it under warranty as it sounds like a duel mass flywheel rattling/failing to me but I’m wondering if it’s down to the fact I don’t use the camper van & once I start using it the noise will go? Does a duel mass have an oil / lubricant in it?

Unfortunately as Iv not owned it long & not been able to use it it’s made me feel a bit annoyed that Iv got a noise on a 69 plate 12K mile van.

Im fussy with my vehicles & my last 3 vehicles have been new Volkswagens, however as the camper van was at the top of my budget I went with a one year old vehicle but not expecting to have a rattly engine.

Iv filmed the noise but not posted online as it’s got my details on the video but can send it over to somebody if they can help.

Cheers

Paul

Hi without hearing it can’t tell but it does sound like dual mass if how you describe you can alter it with clutch pedal input

My 2016 van with 11k miles had a new DMF at 2yrs11months under warranty.

Rattled when cold and in neutral. Sounded like a chickety, chickety, chickety noise.

My 2016 van with 11k miles had a new DMF at 2yrs11months under warranty.

Rattled when cold and in neutral. Sounded like a chickety, chickety, chickety noise.

Thanks, that’s interesting at such low mileage so it’s definitely a possibility then, was it a faulty part? Yes it does sound like like that.

Thanks, that’s interesting at such low mileage so it’s definitely a possibility then, was it a faulty part? Yes it does sound like like that.

They go at any mileage apparently - I was lucky that I had mentioned it to them at 7k miles so it was on the system. They changed it with no quibble which I was surprised about.

I've listened to yours and it definitely sounds like the DMF I'm afraid :(

Mine has been all good since being replaced though.

Make sure you register the noise with the dealer service department because if they quibble (which they shouldn't but might) and they won't replace it and it gets worse then you have it logged on the system.

Thank you

I’m actually having it’s first service done on the same booking so hopefully it will all get done on one booking.

Disappointing a component can fail so early, nice to hear you have had no issues since the repair, gives me some confidence.

Thanks again

I have noticed a similar issue lately. It only occurs only on cold starts disappears with depressing the clutch and after approx two mins of engine running at idle.

For info van is a 2019 shuttle 102ps 12km on the clock.

I have no notable issues with the van when driving.

Haven’t really considered it to be a significant issue and always thought dealers will get out of doing anything to investigate as it could be deemed an on condition item.

Interested in peoples experiences and thoughts on such low mileage vans.

cheers

Yes,

Sounds like it’s the same issue Iv got.

69 Plate
12K Miles
102 BHP
Manual

If it was clutch related it comes under wear & tear but a flywheel is an engine component that should last. I don’t want it failing later that’s the trouble & we shouldn’t have rattles on such a new vehicles.

Thanks for the heads up, if it is I will go back to the company I bought the van from & have to take it up with them, Iv only had it two months. I don’t think it has been mapped tho

Update:

Dropped the Van of at VW Commercial & they have removed the gearbox & diagnosed the fault as a faulty flywheel, required replacement under warranty. Clutch is fine at 12K & doesn’t need replacing. I thought about paying for it myself but nearly £400.00 it’s overkill. Great service from VW Commercial Southampton. Tracking & front sensor calibrated too. Paul @ VW Southampton was very good . Thanks for everyone’s help on this . Now the van needs a good clean and tucking away ready for our next adventure.

Update:

Dropped the Van of at VW Commercial & they have removed the gearbox & diagnosed the fault as a faulty flywheel, required replacement under warranty. Clutch is fine at 12K & doesn’t need replacing. I thought about paying for it myself but nearly £400.00 it’s overkill. Great service from VW Commercial Southampton. Tracking & front sensor calibrated too. Paul @ VW Southampton was very good . Thanks for everyone’s help on this . Now the van needs a good clean and tucking away ready for our next adventure.
Did VW offer some kind of explanation as to why the DMF failed after just 12K?
I got very close to 200K out of my A4 DMF.

12K, Nope , just said the flywheel was out of gauge. I thought long & hard about putting a clutch in but they were really firm that it wasn’t required so it’s not like it was down to driving style etc. All I can assume is it was a defective part.

Update:

Thanks for this update I have decided I am getting the van booked in at the dealers for assessment as I have exactly the same issue.
Cheers.

Mine has now been confirmed as faulty DMF. 2017, 204 PV, 30k miles. Being replaced under warranty. Stealers haven't quibbled. Along with front and rear mains oil seals, although when they get the box off, it could well turn out to be the leak along the flywheel bolts, and not the oil seal.

Van went in yesterday. They say they can't get the bits and it scheduled until mid week next week. They have said they'd prefer to get it back on 24/2 for three days and give me a loaner. I queried, and they confirmed, that the work will still be covered under warranty then, even though the warranty will expire in the meantime.

Back