Clanking Noise From Dsg Gearbox In Park And Neutral

Dilbert

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
VIP Member
T6 Guru
My MY2016 T6 140PS 7 speed DSG has started making a clanking noise from the engine/gearbox when cold. Please listen to the attached mp3 file recorded from the front under the bumper below the engine/gearbox. :(

It appears to be coming from the DSG gearbox and only occurs when in Park or Neutral. The noise is not regular and comes and goes. Entering Drive or Reverse makes the noise stop. Once the engine starts to warm up (gauge around 50 deg +) the noise stops. The van drives fine with no other apparent issues.

Any ideas? Anyone experienced any similar issues? o_O

Attachments

• MOV_8957.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 865
I did wonder that @Loz . Not sure if it's a gear catching or one loose on a shaft or something.

Strange that it disappears when warm?

I had a similar rattle on a DSG box on our T5.1,

it started off very quietly and over the months got louder and louder, again only in neutral or park (when the gearbox was disconnected) (70K miles)

it was traced to the springs/weights on the DMF (Duel mass flywheel)

VW put a new DMF in which solved the problem (at cost to us)

re:
Oct/Nov 2015 – went to VW to ask advice about noise from engine bay, advised to get a new DMF (duel mass flywheel) fitted and do a 70k service too, also that the DSG 50K service that was missed by VW. Was also advised timing belt/water pump/tensioner as advised at 4yrs old interval. Also advised AC service, Break service was due. All advised by Gary Rock(commercial manager) and service tech – James.

it cost

71362miles
20/02/2016
£ 1,659.38 VW loughton DMF,DSG service,Aircon service,Break fluid change, front lwr wishbone bushes.

Last edited:
Thanks @Dellmassive Did your rattle also disappear when the engine was warm?

Our van is still under warranty until August and 22,ooo miles so I need to get it checked and fixed!

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks @Dellmassive Did your rattle also disappear when the engine was warm?

Our van is still under warranty until August and 22,ooo miles so I need to get it checked and fixed!

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, at first. (thermal expansion i think with the cold/warm thing)

but as it got worse as the miles went up untill it started rattling all the time (but only when off-load/park neutral) (cold or hot)

i noticed it most during summer, when the windows were down,

and sitting at traffic lights (DSG in neutral)

always drove fine, and never felt anything through the pedle or van body . . . just the sound of it.

It was more annoying than anything, but VW confirmed that it would just get worse until it failed totally, which would send the springs and bits all over the place causing more damage.

so i got it sorted as advised.

ours went at 70K miles ish . . . . . . so if yours is only 22K, then defo get it booked in and keep us posted.

Just make sure you keep a record of all contact with VW and the outcome, dates/times/details etc, they will undoubtedly say there’s nothing wrong
Jumping a bit ahead and assuming it doesn’t get resolved then book it back in before your warranty expires and keep logging it, if your concerned there’s an issue and your dealer says there’s not I would contact VWCC before your warranty expires and raise your concerns with them and keep logging the issue so if it gets worse you will hopefully have some recourse (but expect a battle)

Just make sure you keep a record of all contact with VW and the outcome, dates/times/details etc, they will undoubtedly say there’s nothing wrong
Jumping a bit ahead and assuming it doesn’t get resolved then book it back in before your warranty expires and keep logging it, if your concerned there’s an issue and your dealer says there’s not I would contact VWCC before your warranty expires and raise your concerns with them and keep logging the issue so if it gets worse you will hopefully have some recourse (but expect a battle)

Wise words there from the Captain . . . . been down this road myself and the above advice is invaluable.

Thanks also @Pauly I did suspect this will lead to a battle with VW! :( I will keep a log as you suggested. I won't be able to get anything sorted immediately but I will let you know I get on. :cautious:

Thanks again for the input chaps. :thumbsup:

Classic flywheel, mine started at 40k vw wouldn't do it under warranty so paid for it to be done privately.

My MY2016 T6 140PS 7 speed DSG has started making a clanking noise from the engine/gearbox when cold. Please listen to the attached mp3 file recorded from the front under the bumper below the engine/gearbox. :(

It appears to be coming from the DSG gearbox and only occurs when in Park or Neutral. The noise is not regular and comes and goes. Entering Drive or Reverse makes the noise stop. Once the engine starts to warm up (gauge around 50 deg +) the noise stops. The van drives fine with no other apparent issues.

Any ideas? Anyone experienced any similar issues? o_O
Not healthy sound :eek:. Do you remember what was the engine speed (RPM) on your sound sample?

Thanks. Just curious because attached extraction from your sound file suggests that engine was running at about 1100 RPM (power stroke every 105 ms), which is higher than I expected. Certainly could be my mp3-interpretation of the file – I extracted that sampling rate in your sample was 48kHz instead of more “regular” 44.1kHz.
Dilbert_1.JPG

Anyways, even clanking sounds irregular besides fading completely off occasionally, there definitely is “base rhythm” in there – though missing a beat every now and then (orange bars). Also pretty difficult to imagine anything else than engines power stroke would give base beat to the sound.
Dilbert_2.JPG

And, yes indeed VW is not very eager to replace DMFs. I think one of the criteria not to replace is that if there is no extra noise when engine has warmed up then it’s considered normal. However my understanding has been this was applicable only to more “normal” “squash-squash-squash” type of sound of some DMFs when engine is cold and eventually disappears in a few minutes when engine warms up. I’m pretty sure there is a general TPI about this one…

Thank you @mmi Interesting analysis! :thumbsup: Yes, the sample rate of the file was 48KHz - a left over setting from some previous file conversion work (which I missed). I converted the original mp4 video file to MP3 audio as T6F does not appear to allow a MP4 file drag & drop to posts? (Original MP4 was 44.1KHz sample rate on audio).

Is the tick over rpm not increased slightly when cold? Certainly our Seat Leon 1.6tdi has a much higher tick over on initial start in cold weather.

Reactions: mmi
So here is an update to my issue with the DMF noise....

I eventually got the van into the local VW dealership for 4 warranty jobs! (heater blower resistor pack, auxiliary drive belt squealing, oil leak between sump and gearbox and the DMF noise). I left a copy of the DMF noise recording (posted above) on the SD card in the head unit so they could play it back. They also had the van for a cold start for their initial diagnosis.

I had no issues with VW Cheltenham - they investigated all the issues, fixed the resistor pack on the first visit and booked the van back in for 3 days for the other work. All done under warranty with no arguments. :)

It's now been in and the gearbox was taken out, new DMF fitted and new flywheel retaining bolts fitted to stop the oil leak (comes through the bolts from the engine sump side of the crank flange). New auxiliary drive belt and and tensioner also fitted.

So hopefully we are now as good as new! Bit concerning that you have to have such major work done on a 28,000 mile van :eek: but, to give them their due, it has all been done under warranty and very professionally. :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone for the input above.

D.

Looks like mine is showing the exact same symptoms. 2016 T6 140 DSG with only 10,300 miles on it. DMF chatter and an oil leak between block/bellhousing and box.

When I bought it at 7k miles the chatter was only happening occasionally when cold, now it does it every time and has also started to do it ever so slightly when warm too.

Got it booked in next week for them to look at it - warranty expires end of June 2019!

Wonder if I hold the record for the lowest mileage DMF failure?

Looks like mine is showing the exact same symptoms. 2016 T6 140 DSG with only 10,300 miles on it. DMF chatter and an oil leak between block/bellhousing and box.

When I bought it at 7k miles the chatter was only happening occasionally when cold, now it does it every time and has also started to do it ever so slightly when warm too.

Got it booked in next week for them to look at it - warranty expires end of June 2019!

Wonder if I hold the record for the lowest mileage DMF failure?
Thats not good . . . . . . best get that booked in ASAP !!!

something not right here . . . . . the DMF should last at least 70K+

mine went at 70K
@Dilbert @ 22k
yours possibly @ 10k

I had my DMF and clutch pack changed around 25K, then the complete gearbox/DMF/Clutch pack replaced under warranty before 50k (and also a few months out of warranty !)

Back