DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.

I think the manual it explains the difference, I remember reading it briefly? I think once it's full to a certain level?

Totally true.

do this to clear it: > 3. Drive at least 60Km/hr @ engine speed between 1800-2500rpm, at least 15 minutes until light goes out. (Automatic; Select Sport) Did the light go out?
Yes: The light did go out. Filter successfully regenerated.

Note: make sure you have at least 50% fuel tank for it might not start a regen.

Diesel particulate filter
A yellow diesel particulate filter light means that action is required.

diesel-particulate-filter-icon.jpg
Roadside assistance: 0870 333 0475
1) How many warning lights are on?

One: go to step 2

More than one: Please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

2. Is the fuel low warning light on?
Yes: The light is on. Refuel the vehicle and go to step 3.

No: The light is not on. Go to step 3.

3. Drive at least 60Km/hr @ engine speed between 1800-2500rpm, at least 15 minutes until light goes out. (Automatic; Select Sport) Did the light go out?
Yes: The light did go out. Filter successfully regenerated.

No: Go to step 4.

4. Can you take the vehicle to your closest authorised repairer?
Yes: If you can take your vehicle, drive safely.

No: If you cant take your vehicle, please contact roadside assistance on 0870 333 0475

Dpf Regen Advice Given Out By Dealer . . . . . . . . .

Diesel Particulate Filter Warning Light | Yellow | Volkswagen UK

I make lots of short journeys, how will this affect my DPF? | Volkswagen UK

Dpf Filter Light

Its taken 1 week for a warning light to come on

Dpf Warning Light

Diesel particulate filters | AA

Thanks everyone so far for the replies, I have the sticker inside my windscreen regarding the DPF and the steps to follow and I totally get it.

BUT

What I am trying to get to the bottom of is why did the Emissions control lamp come on and I had to go to the dealer and not the DPF lamp which I could have rectified myself?

Thanks

Thanks everyone so far for the replies, I have the sticker inside my windscreen regarding the DPF and the steps to follow and I totally get it.

BUT

What I am trying to get to the bottom of is why did the Emissions control lamp come on and I had to go to the dealer and not the DPF lamp which I could have rectified myself?

Thanks
you wont know that unless you have a device to read the fault codes, ie Carista.

Carista - How I Done It -

The van will log emissions codes etc, unless they told you what codes were logged?

it may have been a general emissions code and not a DFP soot level warning.

next time if you have a code reader, post the code on here and you will get some advice and guidance before having to go to the dealers.

BUT

Thanks
Totally agree - doesn't make much sense. The DPF lamp would tell that you haven't been able to do even partial regens. But having emissions control light alone should not have anything to do with (missed or unfinished) DPF regens. Did the emissions light stay on till your visit to the dealer?
The dealer has the fault code in their records - perhaps a call to get that? Just the code is enough (should be a few digits, something like 31103, P20EE, etc.)

Again thanks for all the comments and help.
@mmi yes the light stayed on (constant not flashing) Mon - Fri this week.
I will give them a call and post up the fault code, if they are still there Sat afternoon?

Reactions: mmi
Vw assist is a 24/7 service for the first 36months.

Normally a VW guy 5-9 and AA covers out-of-hours and remote locations.

They need to address the issues with in 2days by all accounts.

Sounds like they are feeding you rubbish, those fault codes are for the adblue system and nothing to do with the dpf and certainly not chargeable if you take it back !

I would advise you to spend a few quid on carista, you dont need to do anything with it but you will be able to plug it into your van and get the fault codes out, then when your dealer feeds you crap again you will have a better understanding of the errors that were logged

Hi again, I got the fault codes today:
p20ee00
p204f00

Any thoughts feedback appreciated
The faults are "explained" as follows:
31103 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1 -- P20EE 00 [036] - Efficiency too Low
and
33262 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1 -- P204F 00 [096] - Malfunction​

The first one is unfortunately quite common and the root cause is/was unknown even to VW. A software update to cure this was scheduled to be available at the end of 2018. The Crafter's got that then but no new news for the T6.

I have seen this fault about 15 times but it has never triggered any warning lights on my vans - so I'm quite curious to see this to be fixed. Unfortunately there are also opposite cases.

The second one P204F00 - unknown to me but by the description (Malfunction) that should be something that can be fixed/replaced.

Anyways, as above, neither of these do not point to the DPF or it's regeneration process so I'm quite confused about these statements in your original post.

Thanks for the feedback, I've e mailed the dealer where I bought the van and given them the fault codes, I will see what they come back with before I plan my next move.

@Pauly I will certainly look into Carista.

Sounds like they are feeding you rubbish, those fault codes are for the adblue system and nothing to do with the dpf and certainly not chargeable if you take it back !

I would advise you to spend a few quid on carista, you dont need to do anything with it but you will be able to plug it into your van and get the fault codes out, then when your dealer feeds you crap again you will have a better understanding of the errors that were logged
Good shout on the carista, just ordered one, this site is costing me more than the van! :D

My T6 is on around 38k and has done this a few times, get a burnt rubber type smell and the van is more responsive/quicker, almost as if someone has just stuck 30bhp on it, had it today and just realised it must be a regen

I'm also in a 102hp van and mine has had the fans running for about 5 mins if I've been doing short runs. As it's a camper I don't use it too much between longer trips out so it does it's regen through those trips. The stop-start doesn't work, but that's normal, but otherwise I don't usually know it's happening. Just try to do longer drives more often and let it do it's thing.

Just for info, I also run an Astra GTC and the ECU turns the rear window heater on during a regen so the stop-start is cancelled and the engine revs increase by a few hundred rpm so I always know it's happening. Scared the cr*p out of me when I first got it as the window heater turning itself on in summer wasn't normal!. Happens about once a tank I think and again the fans run loud and long after turn off if it's doing short runs.

I've twice had my DPF light come on in 18000 miles of driving the van. Once after a prolonged period of idling. The second, after a period of low rev driving about town. The fuel light was on and I let the range on the MFD drop to zero, so inhibiting a regen. I didnt make a habit of this but both practices, I will not repeat as a result of the light coming on.

Rather than thinking of a regen as the function of the devil, I view it as the van looking out for it's good health and well being. It's spending my pennies to protect my pounds. Just a shame its also trying to kill me by producing more NoX while it does it.

Incidently, there's an app on Google play called Vag DPF. Claims all sorts of things for being able to monitor regens, although haven't tried it out myself. So not sure if it's any good.

Back