DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.

@Dieseldonkey
Yes Sir
I was wondering if these DPF apps are any good
Or if more information is a bad thing ?

You should ask on here if anyone else has tried one !

knowing too much sometimes is not good ... if you find out that your wife is cheating on you, you have to kill her ... would you kill your California that you love so much? ....

FYI , 2017 102 T6 , since getting the Bluetooth OBD2 2 and an app my dpf regenerates apptox every 200 mile, maybe a little more. My driving is consistently the same motorway 100 mile , city 18, motorway 100 mile then country and town driving. Week in and week out its the same pattern. I use advanced fuels only .

Hi all, this is an interesting thread, my T6 has been regenning loads recently, alot more than it used to (3-4 times per week), and its really loud inside the cab when it does, its very notciale.

I was planing to buy a bluetooth obd2 dongle and try one of the Andriod VAG DPF apps out, but none of them say they support the 204bhp engines, does anyone know if they still work? if so which dongle/apps do you use?

Thanks

This is really strange, I have driven 3000miles in my van over 3 months. (Previous owner 60000miles). I now pay particular attention as I have not yet noticed it doing a regen. I'm actually starting to worry if there is a fault.

I wouldn’t worry about it. We have done 22,000 miles and never noticed a regen. It must be doing it though. I have also never noticed it on the 4 diesel cars with DPFs that I have owned.

Pete

This is really strange, I have driven 3000miles in my van over 3 months. (Previous owner 60000miles). I now pay particular attention as I have not yet noticed it doing a regen. I'm actually starting to worry if there is a fault.
No need to worry. From driver's seat it's very difficult to detect when it is doing a regen (on a healthy van). If you really want to know when it is happening, a volt meter plugged into cigarette lighter socket quite often (but not always) reveals the regen as the alternator raises and keeps the voltage at its maximum, about 14.8 Volts during regen. Have a look --> Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?
However, interestingly this method works only when outdoor temperature is above +5C ... o_O Hmmm, and may be only on EU6 engines -as actually haven't checked on EU5... obviously something to add on my to-verify list...:cautious:

I was planing to buy a bluetooth obd2 dongle and try one of the Andriod VAG DPF apps out, but none of them say they support the 204bhp engines, does anyone know if they still work? if so which dongle/apps do you use?
On the list of engines tested by users of Android VAG DPF are listed engines CXFA and CXFA which are EU6 150PS variants of T6 engines. The 204PS is very closely related to these so it's almost certain the application will work with that engine too. The list ---> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf

The dongle I have tried on T6 EU6 150PS and 204PS engines looks like this one ---> US $3.0 15% OFF|Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth V2.1 OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool Mini ELM 327 Bluetooth Code Reader For Android/Symbian OBD2 Protocols-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (but is not from this seller). Seems to work just fine when using application "Torque" ---> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

EDIT: The developer of "VAG DPF" mentions that Carista dongle is very reliable so that's probably a good way proceed. Have a search about Carista in the Forum.

However the "Torque" doesn't provide any VAG proprietary data like "Android VAG DPF" claims to do. Anyways, Android VAG DPF suggests that common ELM-327-chip can handle also that. Obviously I need to try that... soon - next week hopefully.

Last edited:
Yes. The app identifies EU6 204PS engine correctly CXEB as expected. Data is mapped correctly when in settings selected as either CXHA or CXFA engine. Perhaps more data is available with paid version.

vagpdf_main_1b.jpg

vagpdf_settings_1b.jpg

Now 2 years old, I had the check engine light come on a month ago for the first time. Arranged an early appointment with the supplying dealer and they duly cleared the code having carried out a 2 hour regen. Now the light is back on again, as before, no reduction in power but I seem to be using more fuel than previously. I'm up early tomorrow morning to return to my seat in the customer area no doubt for another 2 hours.
The van is run around the city most day but has the occasional run out of town and I suspect that may be the issue. Can anyone give me some ammo for the dealer in the morning? I can't afford to be visiting my dealer every few weeks, particularly when the warranty runs out next year.
Help please!

Thanks, Derek.

If you’re chugging about in the city all day it will happen, the only way to avoid this is to take it for a blast on the motorway. We have a Skoda Yeti euro6, it does lots of short local journeys & we’ve had the dreaded light on twice in 8k miles. A 20min blast down the M1 in 4th gear blows it through. It’s a fact of modern diesel life.

Tried the 4th gear thing twice for 30 mins or so to no avail but I do agree that it's the way of the diesel nowadays.
It's the basic 102ps engine.

Thanks, Derek.

What's your daily/weekly mileage and drive times?

Basically as @Salty Spuds says.... you don't need to go to the dealer.... just take the van for a drive cycle that will enable the DPF regen to complete it's cycle (2× per tank at approx 1/3 And 2/3) (don't keep the tank empty, fill it up)

Drive at least 60Km/hr @ engine speed between 1800-2500rpm, at least 15 minutes until light goes out. (Automatic; Select Sport) Did the light go out?

Diesel Particulate Filter Warning Light | Yellow | Volkswagen UK

A static service regen just uses more fuel and takes longer.... it's better to just go for a drive and enjoy the ride =)

Hi Dellmassive. Approx 200 miles a week, 6-8 customer visits in town a day from 09:00 until 17:00. I've tried the out of town run thing but no joy.

Derek.

Derek said above that the dealer done a static regen to clear the code and light....

So that implies a DPF regen issue, which is caused by multiple short trips with no LONG RUN to burn off the DPF deposits....

I normaly take the van for an hour round-trip on the motorway if the DPF light comes on..... its always worked so far.

There may be other issues with the van........ but if it's DPF regen then the above should clear it.

Back