[T6_measured] Fickle fuel consumption on MFD – encore

mmi

Senior Expert
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
In March 2020 finally got the long-awaited ECU (Engine Control Unit) software update. Unfortunately it took a while to get a good chance to do some measurements to try to figure out what has been changed. So finally a few weeks back dusted the VCDS and collected all kind of intriguing data.

The subject of the title has been discussed a lot around the Forum. One of the first inspiring threads was

Measurement setup:
  • Vehicle: MY18 T6 DSG, CXEB engine, 4Motion. Mass approx. 2380 kg. Tyres 235/55-17.
  • Daily journey in the morning 30.0 km from home to work – and the same back home in the afternoon after about 8 hour cooling period.
  • Each journey consists of 10 km travelling 50-60 km/h + 20 kms in 80-90 km/h. Travel time 30+ minutes. Elevation difference between parking spots is 52 meters, so I lose a bit diesel on my way to work but fortunately reclaim the loss in the afternoon.
To be able to reliably reproduce the measurements, I tried to mitigate effects of discrepancies by the following:
  • DSG coasting OFF so could minimize use of brakes (=lost energy) and could better anticipate traffic.
  • Battery was initially charged and then kept charged by alternator charging at 13.4 V (keeping cabin air blower at “2” which interestingly seems to prevent alternator going to “idle”). This was just to mitigate influence of engine drawing energy from the battery (which it does - almost 30 Amps = 400W).
  • Noted down weather conditions, wind speed and direction, temperature, ambient air pressure, rain.
I apologize not using gallons, mpg’s and miles – it’s just for me not to get confused. Anyways, as my interest was to get consistent results, I concentrated calculating/measuring absolute amount of fuel used - so at the moment mpg was not relevant.
Conversion between litres/100 km and miles(UK)/gallon is: [mpg] = 282.5/[l/100km]​

Data collected:
  • MFD Average consumption "1".
    • The unit I used was litres/100 km, so driving only 30 km and having on the MFD 8.0 L/100km would give 2.4 litres of fuel consumed.
  • MFD remaining "Range"
  • ECU data. There are quite a few channels related to fuel consumption. For this the following were explored.
    • ECU channel IDE00371 reports fuel consumption as litres/hour (naturally as ECU doesn’t really know the distance travelled as such). This data seems to be transmitted to MFD for further processing and display.
    • ECU channel IDE01407 which reports accumulated fuel consumption over a DPF regeneration cycle.
    • Along the above also other data were recorded: time stamps, vehicle speed, engine, revs, EGR status, exhaust temps, etc.
Legend used:
  • Red = DPF regeneration took place travelling to work (DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter)
  • Blue = Trip to work, +52 metres elevation delta
  • Orange = DPF regeneration took place travelling to home.
  • Green = Trip back home, -52 m elevation delta

Picture - 1.
Recorded MFD Average consumption "1" readings at end of each 30 km trip. Just a note that some trips are missing here (e.g. #3, #4) as I did something else (#3 deviated from the route to fill up at 24 km, #4 a different route). However, all the data will be shown later on.

The actual MFD readings are plotted by the "blocks". To clarify somewhat Excel trendlines are plotted to bring out the “delta” between running uphill and downhill.
pic_1_mfd.jpg
Too cluttered to my taste. I believe this is the phenomena described by many as “fickle mpg”.
Picture - 2.
pic_2_abs.jpg

This is just accumulated fuel amount read from ECU. I’d like to say it’s much more clear now. The numbers by each “block” are litres (consumed over the 30 km trips).

Unfortunately I couldn’t fully control the weather, which probably can be used to explain some deviations in the plot and thus flatten the jittered graphs. E.g.:
  • On trip#1 there was really strong tailwind, thus presumably gave me record low fuel consumption (green 1.77) 6.0 litres/100 km = 47.1 mpg.
  • A lorry slowed me down (blue 2.05)
  • Wet road (raining) (red 3.06), (red 3.04), (green 2.01), (green 2.00), (green 2.05), (blue 2.25)
  • Exceptionally cold morning +4C (blue 2.33).
NOTE: Scaling of pictures 1 and 2 are identical – in terms of absolute fuel amount reported – all vertical and horizontal lines coincide in the pictures. Ideally the graphs would be identical - however...

As a byproduct also MFD remaing Range vs. trip was plotted. The plot has been scaled so that travelled 30 km is subtracted from MFD remaining range, thus the correct value here would be “0 km”. Again the same trip# were used.
pic_6_mfd_range.jpg

Picture - 3.
Relationship between absolute fuel consumption calculated from MFD "1" vs. fuel consumption reported by ECU. Again per the 30 km trips NOTE: missing trips 3,4 - see picture 4.
pic_3_mfd_vs_abs.jpg

Picture - 4. FINAL PRODUCT.

MFD smoothing algorithm of fuel consumption plotted over full travel span.

Now all data points (also the other trips not exactly 30 km as above) are included thus leftmost and rightmost points in the pictures above and below are the same.
pic_4_mfd_vs_abs_full_span.jpg

Conclusions for my specific travel profile (mostly 30 km journeys).
  • During DPF regeneration MFD Average consumption "1" display is actually scaled down by approx. x 0.76. In the picture the “sampling rate” was 30 km, so the correction factor is a bit diluted because DPF regen lasts only approx. 20 km.
  • Following the DPF regeneration next 60+ km MFD Average consumption "1" display is scaled up by x 1.14. Obviously this is to smooth out slightly elevated fuel consumption during the DPF regeneration over longer period – not to cause unnecessary concerns among Forum members.
  • Fortunately the fickle fuel consumption on MFD is just an illusion (see real consumption in picture 2).
Note: DPF regeneration was split over two trips at about 40700 km, thus the correction is also split.​

Thank you for reading! Any thoughts, any clarifications needed, anything I missed or got wrong?

Reserved for part #2.

Analysis - Extra fuel used for DPF regeneration.

Time to update as have burned a few more tanks of diesel to get confidence on the numbers.

ECU channel IDE01407 which reports accumulated fuel consumption over a DPF regeneration period. By summing the values and comparing by 6 fill-ups (this far) my conclusion is that IDE01407 needs to be corrected by multiplier 1.064 (actual 6.4% more than reported).
The amount to fill-up has been very consistent with numbers read from ECU, less fluctuation than using value from MFD Av.Cons “2”. So extremely pleased with the result.

Extra amount of fuel used for each DPF regeneration is approx. 0.88 litres (deltas from picture 2, red/orange minus blue/green, corrected by +6.4%). DPF regenerations were regularly at 250 km intervals.

Average fuel consumption over the test period was 7.6 litres/100 km = 37.2 mpg (based on actual brim to brim fill-ups).

Thus DPF regenerations used approx. 4.6% of the total fuel consumed for my driving profile

Last edited:
Reserved for part #3.

Meanwhile,
Another one in series "[T6_measured]" -
EDIT/ADD:​
ADD:​

The masking of increased fuel consumption during DPF regeneration on MFD at standstill:​

DPF regen active - engine idling.​

Fuel_cons_idle_DPF_regen.jpg

No active regen - engine idling​

Fuel_cons_idle_0.7.jpg

Last edited:
MMI a very impressive piece of work, I'm certainly in the right area for my question.

DPF/Regeneration. I make many short journeys where regeneration doesn't have time to take place. After a period of short journeys when I switch off - the fan is still running to bring the temperature down after a failed regen attempt. This is my sign to take the vehicle for a run to stop the warning light appearing. However, after a forty mile trip today when I stopped - the cooling fans were still running. I believe this may be because a second regen had started because the levels of soot were still high. This happens quite frequently. Is there any way I can monitor these levels so I don't have a failed regeneration but to predict when the vehicle needs one?

Reactions: mmi
MMI a very impressive piece of work, I'm certainly in the right area for my question.

DPF/Regeneration. I make many short journeys where regeneration doesn't have time to take place. After a period of short journeys when I switch off - the fan is still running to bring the temperature down after a failed regen attempt. This is my sign to take the vehicle for a run to stop the warning light appearing. However, after a forty mile trip today when I stopped - the cooling fans were still running. I believe this may be because a second regen had started because the levels of soot were still high. This happens quite frequently. Is there any way I can monitor these levels so I don't have a failed regeneration but to predict when the vehicle needs one?
Thanks! Did you read another thread - specifically about short journeys vs. DPF regen?

Is there any way I can monitor these levels so I don't have a failed regeneration but to predict when the vehicle needs one?
Perhaps an Android app would give some insights

Robert many thanks for your reply.

I have watched the video video you posted but don't understand what I am suppose to learn? I can see the DPF warning light coming on but there is no other information.

mmi thanks once again.

Yes, I have read your post in which you examine the effect of short journeys on the DPF/Regen cycles. This is very much a picture of many of the trips that I make. It would seem the heat up phase starts just eight minutes after start up and and seven minutes travel later the soot levels are back to what they were at startup - meaning I never get a full DPF/Generation. This is normally the point when I take the vehicle on a long enough run to do a full DPF generation which would appear to be 20 minutes or more. Also is there a recommended speed needed to achieve regen more efficiently? Living in the country side there are no motorways so my solution is to go into tiptronic mode and stay in a gear that will give a constant 2K rpm.

Robert many thanks for your reply.

I have watched the video video you posted but don't understand what I am suppose to learn? I can see the DPF warning light coming on but there is no other information.
Daku(Dawid :D) has designed & made his own circuit board.
Once it is connected to the CAN-BUS it gets DPF regeneration info from the engine control unit and then sends the message to the instrument cluster to light up DPF icon during the whole regeneration process plus text to say that regeneration progress has just began.

In the video he is using his IC in Polish language thus the message is in Polish as well.

It would seem the heat up phase starts just eight minutes after start up and and seven minutes travel later the soot levels are back to what they were at startup
Hmm.... DPF heat-up starts at approx. 2 minutes and at 7 minutes after start-up the soot level is back at same level at when started. Thus anything more than 7 minutes is good.

See the red curve for DPF input temperature. Steep rise at 2 mins, reaches max temp and stabilizes at 6 minutes. This doing just <1500 rpm, 50-60 km/h.
1632050764384.png

Also is there a recommended speed needed to achieve regen more efficiently?
I get the shortest DPF regens by keeping engine revs below 1500 rpm, usually by doing approx.60 km/h (40 mph) and letting DSG decide the gear.

My record for full DPF regen has been less than 14 minutes (revs average 1350 rpm, DSG doing mainly D6). Of course the engine was already at normal running temperature when the DPF regen kicked in.

Daku(Dawid :D) has designed & made his own circuit board.
Once it is connected to the CAN-BUS it gets DPF regeneration info from the engine control unit and then sends the message to the instrument cluster to light up DPF icon during the whole regeneration process plus text to say that regeneration progress has just began.

In the video he is using his IC in Polish language thus the message is in Polish as well.
Robert, thank you so much for explaining it now makes perfect sense. This is something I would like to have but it appears to be in beta testing at the moment. Will there be a time in the future when this is available to buy?

Hmm.... DPF heat-up starts at approx. 2 minutes and at 7 minutes after start-up the soot level is back at same level at when started. Thus anything more than 7 minutes is good.

See the red curve for DPF input temperature. Steep rise at 2 mins, reaches max temp and stabilizes at 6 minutes. This doing just <1500 rpm, 50-60 km/h.
View attachment 130618

I get the shortest DPF regens by keeping engine revs below 1500 rpm, usually by doing approx.60 km/h (40 mph) and letting DSG decide the gear.

My record for full DPF regen has been less than 14 minutes (revs average 1350 rpm, DSG doing mainly D6). Of course the engine was already at normal running temperature when the DPF regen kicked in.
mmi, thank you for your reply.

I was always under the impression that 2000 rpm and a speed of around 50 mph was needed for a successful DPF/regeneration - so that is very useful information.

Reactions: mmi
Now module have multilang.

Signal for purging is obitained as @Robert said from ECU, but even if You come to car at morning, icon can be lighted because Car want Purging but DPF is cold :) ( engine RPM stay low )

That is very interesting to know that the icon appears when a regeneration is required - whether the engine is hot or on first start up when engine is cold.

Back