Dashcam: Blackvue vs Thinkware

Stewby

Nurse
T6 Guru
Hello again.

So, I think we may have a completely addicted family (which might be a good thing). I set my husband the task of finding a company who will install a Ghost security system and he has...

... but they also do dashcams. Front and rear. They have a few different different options: Blackvue DR900s or DR750s and Thinkware Q800 pro or F770.

Does anyone have experience of any of these??

After speaking to the bloke who is installing it, the main issue is the rear dash cam. Can I ask how people have wired their ones in?? He was suggesting going through the top light and down through the metal work or following the top of the boot until he reaches the rubber tube thing (think it is for wiring).
I have already confused the issue by explaining that he can't go straight across the roof as we are cutting it out to fit a poptop (the converter told us that we are better to get this stuff done first).

Any advice on anything dash-cam related would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Fixed to rear glass, hole drilled next to slot for rear window trim, then followed rear brake wire through rubber and then along the side of headliner all the way to front where it plugs into front camera.

I fitted a Thinkware F800 Pro and very happy with it. Rear camera cable goes just above the roof panels along the edge of the van and then across the top of the A pillar trim and front headlining to the front camera. It took longer to route the power cables to the fuse box behind the bottle holder than it did to route to the back camera.
It's a big improvement on the F770 I had in terms of features, picture quality and a really annoying voice.
Completely automatic as it detects ignition feed to record continuously and parking mode without ignition. Not sure if they all do this now though?

Fitted a few dash cams now and can always find somewhere to route the cable behind interior trim. Easy DIY job. Got a F770 and while PQ is good find the wifi connection apita.

Got the f770, happy with it, although I’ve had problems with another one fitted in a different vehicle. The WiFi isn’t the most user friendly but it does work. The picture quality is very good. Our rear one was cabled up during the conversion & the cable runs down the roof edge on the passenger side.

Hi, so I am back on my search for a dash cam after the RAC shop messed me around.

So if you guys own or have any preferences between the BlackVue 900 s and the Thinkware Q800, could you help or advise Please.

I've got the BlackVue 900 s with a 128Gb card in it. Runs off an ignition feed, no over run or parking power ATM..... may run it off leisure battery at some point...

It's been faultless so far and works great with the Phone APP...

I spent ages trying to decide on what one to go with...... after hours of YT footage and Google searches I chose BV.

Got the BlackVue and can’t fault the picture quality and the app so far is easy to use. The only issue we have is it’s hard wired to the ignition through the power magic pro and it occasionally shuts down when the stop/start kicks in. I guess this might be down to the van battery (Moll). Halfords supplied and fitted and price matched a really good online deal.

I've got the thinkware (had the 770 in my old Caravelle as well)
Has been fine. I think the Blackvue on paper looked better overall but was pricier so decided to stick with the same brand on my T6. I'd buy it again.

Thanks for the replies, it seems I have missed the boat on an very good deal on the BV 900, so if I go with BV it would have to be the 750S.

Have any of you noticed any issues with interference with the DAB? plus how the heck will I cope with all the choices with a full conversion next year if I cant even make a decision on an bloody dash cam, :)

Another quick question, do both these brands sit out of the way ie behind next to rear view mirror? I cant be the only one here with van OCD :whistle:

I have the similar format Blackvue 750 and it sits tucked away to the left of the mirror; quite unobtrusive. On the matter above of the power magic pro sometimes shutting down when start/stop functions, I have not noticed anything like that with my power pro.

Back