Thinkware dash cam Q800 pro - hard wiring help

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
hi

I've purchased a Thinkware dash cam Q800 pro, can anyone please give me some
advice on how to hard wire it into the fuse box ?

20200712_112754.jpg
20200712_112754.jpg20200712_115200.jpg

Same camera as mine. It needs two feeds, one permanent live and one switched IGN live. I would suggest you use two piggy back leads like the red one in your last picture to get the feeds from the fuse box. Below is a picture showing where mine connect, centre row is switched from memory, Right hand row is permanent.

That blue lead on your fuse panel looks like it has a two prong connector on the end of it so it is effectively shorting across the fuse panel. I’d recommend changing that for a piggy back lead.

The red one is facing the wrong way (unless the photo is upside down). The tail needs to go to the LHS os the fuses are connected correctly.

Hope this helps33455B16-D429-4BBB-903D-C6BD88B76479.jpeg

Thanks for the info, sorry to sound daft but is the yellow cable "battery" the permanent live and the red cable "acc" the switched live ?
Does it matter which way round the fuse tap holder goes? I was curious as to what happens if its inserted the wrong way ?

You want a ‘mini’ fuse piggy back cable. You’ll need some fuses as well obviously. I bought this kit which isn’t much more that that one cable at Halfords.

It will only use a small amount of power, I use a 3A fuse in mine. If you remove a fuse from the panel, remember you’ll need to replace it in the piggy back as well as add a new one for the new circuit.
I think the way you have described the connections is correct but can’t remember without digging out the manual.

If you connect the piggy back the wrong way round instead of having your new circuit protected by a separate fuse, it is fed through the existing fuse as well.

You want a ‘mini’ fuse piggy back cable. You’ll need some fuses as well obviously. I bought this kit which isn’t much more that that one cable at Halfords.

It will only use a small amount of power, I use a 3A fuse in mine. If you remove a fuse from the panel, remember you’ll need to replace it in the piggy back as well as add a new one for the new circuit.
I think the way you have described the connections is correct but can’t remember without digging out the manual.

If you connect the piggy back the wrong way round instead of having your new circuit protected by a separate fuse, it is fed through the existing fuse as well.
Great stuff thanks, I've ordered that kit off amazon so i'll hopefully try fitting the dash cam tomorrow. So are you saying that when i install the piggy back fuse holders the tsil end should be on the left ?

OK so I did mine a bit differently. I ran both switched and constant feeds from the fuse panel to below my drivers seat. I ran the cable supplied with the camera to the same place and the connected it all up under the seat so the earth is under the seat. I did this because my intention was to run the cam off my leisure battery which at that time was not installed. It is now.

When I installed the leisure battery, I reconfigured the piggy back fuses so I had two switched feeds going to under the driver seat. One remained connected to the camera, the other (which was previously the cam constant feed) was then used as the switched feed to my DC-DC charger. The constant feed to the cam was then taken from the new fuse panel connected to the leisure battery.

The camera is on the top of the screen tucked up close to the mirror. I put it as close to the top and mirror as possible without the image going over the blacked out bit (pictures attached)
21E36D53-8131-4D1F-BD6B-766C678D452D.jpegB74B617E-BFAC-4055-92FF-5DA007D586B5.jpeg877349AE-12BD-4B3B-86E1-8B6974C347AC.jpeg
There is a useful ‘how to‘ guide and video which may be worth a look at the link below.

OK so I did mine a bit differently. I ran both switched and constant feeds from the fuse panel to below my drivers seat. I ran the cable supplied with the camera to the same place and the connected it all up under the seat so the earth is under the seat. I did this because my intention was to run the cam off my leisure battery which at that time was not installed. It is now.

When I installed the leisure battery, I reconfigured the piggy back fuses so I had two switched feeds going to under the driver seat. One remained connected to the camera, the other (which was previously the cam constant feed) was then used as the switched feed to my DC-DC charger. The constant feed to the cam was then taken from the new fuse panel connected to the leisure battery.

The camera is on the top of the screen tucked up close to the mirror. I put it as close to the top and mirror as possible without the image going over the blacked out bit (pictures attached)
View attachment 77351View attachment 77352View attachment 77353
There is a useful ‘how to‘ guide and video which may be worth a look at the link below.
Nice one, thanks very much for all the information

View attachment 77351View attachment 77352View attachment 77353
I'm all wired in and working, im curious about the parking mode .There are lots of options so i was wondering what the best setting is and what do you have yours on ? I've got mine on "motion detection" but i was worried about it draining the battery ?

I'm all wired in and working, im curious about the parking mode .There are lots of options so i was wondering what the best setting is and what do you have yours on ? I've got mine on "motion detection" but i was worried about it draining the battery ?
I’m on motion detection but have mine connected up to my leisure battery so less of a worry for me. If memory serves correctly you can set the battery threshold it shuts down at to avoid the draining issue. TBH it barely uses any power in this mode and if you use your van daily i imagine you won’t have an issue. Longer periods where it is laid up might be more problematic.

I’m on motion detection but have mine connected up to my leisure battery so less of a worry for me. If memory serves correctly you can set the battery threshold it shuts down at to avoid the draining issue. TBH it barely uses any power in this mode and if you use your van daily i imagine you won’t have an issue. Longer periods where it is laid up might be more problematic.
What have you got the sensitivity set to for impact and motion ? I've set mine to "mid" as im not sure what the best setting is ? Cheers

I think mine is now at low (but not certain). I got fed up with seeing the local cat/badger/fox wander past at 1000yds so adjusted it to be a little less sensitive

Not a good day today as i have flattened the battery , i cant see what i have done wrong though ? Yellow cable to the right ( constant live ) and then i found a spare switched live in the middle so i just used a piggy holder with just 1 fuse in it for the red cable (acc)
Below is how i had it connected, ignore the blue wire piggy back holder as that is for something else. HELP PLEASE
20200714_170123.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming nothing else has changed.
When you turn your ignition on, does the camera start up and then shut down when you turn the ignition off? It will go through an annoying sequence of spoken updates everytime. “GPS connected” etc.
If it isn’t doing this it isn’t connected correctly and is probably on all the time (which means the wires are probably the wrong way round). If it is powering up and down properly, try setting the camera so it doesn’t do parking record so when it’s off it is off and see if the battery lasts any better.

When you turn your ignition on, does the camera start up and then shut down when you turn the ignition off? It will go through an annoying sequence of spoken updates everytime. “GPS connected” etc.
If it isn’t doing this it isn’t connected correctly and is probably on all the time (which means the wires are probably the wrong way round). If it is powering up and down properly, try setting the camera so it doesn’t do parking record so when it’s off it is off and see if the battery lasts any better.
When i turn on the ignition the dash cam turns on and says gps connected, constant recording starting.
When i turn the ignition off it says parking mode recording starting (or something like that, icant remember the exact wording )

Ok, it’s wired up properly.
The only things I can think of are
1. The parking mode is in constant record so its using more power than the other parking modes
2. The battery was low before you started and all the testing etc you’ve been doing has tipped it over the edge
3. You left your lights on ;). Or there is some issue unrelated to the camera installation.

I’d start by checking the parking mode and either turning it off or putting it in the setting that uses least power (bump detection or whatever they call it I think)

It says "parking recording will now start" which makes me think I've got it wired correctly

Back