Dashcam: Blackvue vs Thinkware

So with the BV magic power pro, I would just need to set it once then leave it and would not in need to keep switching it to go into protective park mode.

I like the idea of the Thinkware but I hear you can not custom start up voice guidance like the BV, so I would have set the volume to zero to stop all the chatter which then stops the other alerts.

So with the BV magic power pro, I would just need to set it once then leave it and would not in need to keep switching it to go into protective park mode.

Yes in theory it is a fit and forget. There are options for recording time once the ignition has been turned off. You need to be careful with the selection of the duration though. For example if you are camping, and turn the ignition on sometimes to perhaps adjust windows, it restart the dashcam, which has a noticeable draw on the battery. This could leave you with a low battery even with the power cut off setting that is available. I often unplug mine when parked in a ‘safe’ place.

Any dashcam should be able to be fitted with a timed power circuit.

Thanks handy to know thanks.
A final question for you Thinkware guys, can those three LED’s at the front of the cam be disabled? I’m not worried about the ones facing the cab but I don’t really need a cam to advertise it’s self to the world.

Cheers all for your replies.

I've got the BlackVue 900 s with a 128Gb card in it. Runs off an ignition feed, no over run or parking power ATM..... may run it off leisure battery at some point...

It's been faultless so far and works great with the Phone APP...

I spent ages trying to decide on what one to go with...... after hours of YT footage and Google searches I chose BV.
Hi @Dellmassive i am thinking of the BV route also and wondering whether you have now wired to leisure battery?

I don’t use the van daily and it can stand around for a week or so but where it’s parked I did want the option to use the park mode.

Also with the 128gb card, how quickly does it fill up?

many thanks

I have a BlackVue DR750S-2CH and have it powered off my leisure battery. Left it parked up for about 3 weeks before I decided to turn it off to stop it flattening the leisure battery (haven’t fitted solar yet). Got a Victron Smart Battery Protect so can turn off all the leisure battery supplies automatically or manually.

Still need to play with some of the sensitivity settings for the parking mode.

I also managed to wire in the rear view camera via the tailgate rubber cable housing (it’s possible, but a real pain!), but had to cut the wire and crimp on a new connector on the coax cable.

I have a BlackVue DR750S-2CH and have it powered off my leisure battery. Left it parked up for about 3 weeks before I decided to turn it off to stop it flattening the leisure battery (haven’t fitted solar yet). Got a Victron Smart Battery Protect so can turn off all the leisure battery supplies automatically or manually.

Still need to play with some of the sensitivity settings for the parking mode.

I also managed to wire in the rear view camera via the tailgate rubber cable housing (it’s possible, but a real pain!), but had to cut the wire and crimp on a new connector on the coax cable.

hi @dav1d

did you notice a significant drop in the leisure battery after 3 weeks? And presume you needed to buy the additional hardwire kit to do that?

cheers.

Hi @Dellmassive i am thinking of the BV route also and wondering whether you have now wired to leisure battery?

I don’t use the van daily and it can stand around for a week or so but where it’s parked I did want the option to use the park mode.

Also with the 128gb card, how quickly does it fill up?

many thanks
im still wired to the ignition circuit ATM, . . . . . they draw too much power and will flatten the battery within a few days.

not tested the exact power draw from the unit, but the spec sheet says:

Backup BatteryBuilt-in super capacitor
Input PowerDC 12 V – 24 V (DC Plug: (Ø3.5 x Ø1.35), MAX 1 A/12 V)
Power ConsumptionAvg. 380 mA (4.56 W at 12 V, when GPS is On and Wi-Fi is Off)
Avg. 360 mA (4.32 W at 12 V, when GPS and Wi-Fi are Off)
* Actual power consumption may vary depending on use conditions and environment.

but goes up when wifi is on, so say up to 1A draw. . . . . which will flatten a leisure battery over a 3day weekend.

i have the unit running from ignition, so when driving . . which is normally around 4hrs a day . . from memory i had a few days to a weeks recording.

even there own backup batterys only give 12 or 24hrs runtime . .

1589811340491.png

im still wired to the ignition circuit ATM,

not tested the exact power draw from the unit, but the spec sheet says:

Backup BatteryBuilt-in super capacitor
Input PowerDC 12 V – 24 V (DC Plug: (Ø3.5 x Ø1.35), MAX 1 A/12 V)
Power ConsumptionAvg. 380 mA (4.56 W at 12 V, when GPS is On and Wi-Fi is Off)
Avg. 360 mA (4.32 W at 12 V, when GPS and Wi-Fi are Off)
* Actual power consumption may vary depending on use conditions and environment.

but goes up when wifi is on, so say up to 1A draw. . . . . which will flatten a leisure battery over a 3day weekend.

i have the unit running from ignition, so when driving . . which is normally around 4hrs a day . . from memory i had a few days to a weeks recording.

even there own backup batterys only give 12 or 24hrs runtime . .

View attachment 70278

@Dellmassive ,

that’s massively helpful, thank you.
So with the 2 channel cameras do I need the hardwire kit as well or is that just for the parking mode?

I think I will do as you have and go off ignition for the time being as I need to plan out properly the leisure set up.

thank you again,

hi @dav1d

did you notice a significant drop in the leisure battery after 3 weeks? And presume you needed to buy the additional hardwire kit to do that?

cheers.
I can’t remember exactly but I thought it was drawing about 0.2A/2.5W, so roughly half of what that spec for the 900 model says. But that’s almost too low for the battery monitor to measure accurately.

Didn’t buy the hardwire kit, just chopped the cigarette lighter plug off the power cable and wired it in to my leisure battery fuse box.

i done the same . . . used a pigyback fuse holder at first . .

then fitted a proper fuse in a space slot when i had the fusebox out next.

Whittled down to getting one of the 3 dashcam in the title and get a parking mode battery to go with it. Anyone any experience of these and make a recommendation. I’m familiar with thinkware as I had a F750 in my old T5.1 and proved very reliable. But I’ve not familiar with the Blackvue

I also have a Thinkware 770, it’s been faultless so I would have another but latest version. Mine has perm power from my leisure battery which is topped up by solar.

Been running Blackvues for years in both our vehicles. Again faultless and robust, very pleased withmthem. I have a DR750 and a DR590.

Back